03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

TACODOC's 2005 Tacoma Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More changes...

Retro tailgate graphics from SockMonkey, 2012 OEM Toyota LED tail lights, Rhino Liner on top edge of tailgate
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM

New storm cover

I despise the big blue storm cover that FRP sells for the FlipPac. It is designed in a way (not a true rectangle) that makes it necessary to put it on one way only - reversing it 180 degrees causes it to not fit right (too tight) and this can be a royal PITA. The color was awful IMO and when inside you had almost zero visibility in addition to minimal ventilation. And, a cheap system of securing the fly to the tent - FRP supplied white bungie cords that were instantly dirty and matched the "hobo tarp" look of the fly after one use. The two battens for the vents are sewn in place i.e. not removable or replaceable... For a $300+ OEM fly I was less than impressed.

Adventure Trailers sells a MUCH improved design made by SLO Sail. Better material, better ventilation, windows for better visibility, a 360 degree bungee cord around the bottom of the fly and multiple attachment points/buckles for real straps to tie it down if needed in a Pacific Northwest storm. It features removeable/replaceable battens for the vents and, you can throw it on in either direction because of it's true rectangular shape and generous cut.

Finally, a modern design that complements the vehicle

Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM

The Demello Offroad Rear Bumper Project

Due to my evolving needs the CBI rear bumper has been sold. Applying the lessons learned in the field during my travels, I will be working with Demello Offroad here in SoCal to develop a totally new 2nd Gen Tacoma rear bumper specifically designed for long range trips.

http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/

Last edited by TACODOC; 09-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 PM

More progress...

Getting the swingout dialed in. This configuration allows for 2 or 4 cans (your choice) as well as propane, pioneer tools and Hi-Lift. Stout, traditional tow hitch as well as recovery points and Hi-Lift jack friendly. An optional spare tire mount can be attached in the center as well (2 spares anyone?)

Next up will be a receiver on the swingout for attaching a Thule or Yakima bike rack, LED rear back up/camp light and fold down aluminum table.

Bumper requirements:
1. OEM quality tow hitch
2. Trailer wiring plug provision
3. Recovery points x2
4. Hi-Lift jack points x2
5. Thule/Yakima bike rack compatible with hitch attached to swingout
6. 4WD Mud flap attachment
7. Provision for 2 LED rock light pods at corners

Swingout requirements:
1. 2 AT aluminum can carriers
2. Aluminess shovel/axe mount
3. AT aluminum propane bracket
4. Flip down aluminum table
5. LED back up light mounted center on stalk
6. Provision for propane hose and wire harness flex at hinge
7. Lockability. Locks closed and open.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Next up will be the rock light tabs, propane regulator hardmount underneath, aluminum fold down table, LED back up light and then it's off to powdercoat at last.

This is turning into a work of art and I'm really happy with the result. So many small refinements over my other bumper that are perfectly suited to my needs have been incorporated into this design that I literally ran out of things to add. The design will be available for others to purchase and the swingout is made for "ala carte" additions and subtractions based on what the user wants. For example, the receiver hitch on the swingout can be used to carry mountain bikes or a spare tire carrier or even a firewood/gear basket can be added there.

Being able to configure things to the mission adds a great deal of utility to a swingout vice just being stuck with a spare and a can carrier back there.

It's off to powdercoat, stay tuned!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Here are a few pics of the completed Demello bumper installed and ready just in time for Mountain Rendezvous

All the accesories on the swingout are lightweight - AT can carriers, AT propane bracket, Aluminess pioneer tool carrier, and the fold down table are all aluminum.

Heavy roller bearing pivot, gate locks closed and open. Dual receiver hitches for towing and carrying mountain bikes or an optional second spare on the swingout. Built in mud flap brackets and LED back up light and LED license plate light.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome work Dave!......I just love the rear bumper set up!

.......Carry On!.......

Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hiya Mark

Dave, that is a very cool bumper setup.