03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here
Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Hayes' 2011 Tacoma Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet build so far - I have a 2011 and love it as well.

Just a side note, your very first post says you have a 2001 Tacoma.

Fink
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fink
Sweet build so far - I have a 2011 and love it as well.

Just a side note, your very first post says you have a 2001 Tacoma.

Fink
no it doesn't

That's the second time I did that... Oh well. Thanks, it will get better I was get more money to dump into it.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I forgot to add this: We ran Johnny Park Road, although I don't think it actually was, since I don't remember anything from JPR being this intense.

We took County Road 47 and stayed left to what I think was the trail head. Made it up quite a ways but it was significantly harder than I remember. Truck did great, Jeep did great. There was only one piece of carnage on the trip and that was a mudflap off the Taco. I had to reverse and it got pinched between the tire and a rock, ripped clean off.

I have to admit, the mud flaps kept me honest today. They were a good notifier of when I was getting close to the rockers.

Short comings on the truck. Not many. I'm a wuss, so I need sliders and skids. I wasn't really concerned with the front or rear bumper because those will be getting replaced anyways. The rockers are a different story and the drivetrain is important. Those will be my next modifications. I really need to get used to driving a manual again. My last rig was an auto so I could inch up and lay into the gas on an obsticle. Not so much with the manual, gotta relearn that finesse. Tires: Dunlop makes some terrible tires. My girlfriend has Hankook Dynapro AT-M's on her Jeep and they did infinitely better than the AT20's on the Taco. I also know they cost very little. Mod number 3.

Now for what you really came here for. PICTURES!!!

Here is the carnage...

Cara was extremely excited that she made it up the first obsticle.

Showing her what line to take on one of the obsticles...

A little stock flex and my buddy who took some of the pictures.

She lifted the wheel about 2" off the ground and freaked out. She kept yelling my name.

Stock Taco flex.

Me lifting a tire in the same place as the Jeep.

Overall I was really happy with how today worked out. Not only did we get the rigs a little dirty, but Cara absolutely loved wheeling and by the end she was picking some really good lines for herself without any help.

You can find the rest of the pictures from the day here.

Last edited by Hayes; 09-16-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Sounds like a plan to me. Are you 06Rubi on TW? If so, I have followed your wife's rig's build... great looking truck, even if it is a little gay

I've been going back and forth on the oba vs co2 thing. oba takes up a lot less room overall and the ease of installing it is a big difference.
Yep, that's me. Didn't realize that I had already gave you input on ur OBA dilemma. We are planning a trip up Mosquito and Weston passes on the 2nd of Oct, It's a Sunday. Should be plenty of changing aspens on Weston. Your welcome to goin in.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by limited#279
Yep, that's me. Didn't realize that I had already gave you input on ur OBA dilemma. We are planning a trip up Mosquito and Weston passes on the 2nd of Oct, It's a Sunday. Should be plenty of changing aspens on Weston. Your welcome to goin in.
I wish I could, I don't get vacation time until 10/11... Maybe the next weekend.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 PM

scribed
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I wish I could, I don't get vacation time until 10/11... Maybe the next weekend.
Cool, we will figure something out. Nice to see ur lady likes to wheel too, makes em more understanding when it comes to modding, especially when It's their rig! Whose sliders are you getting?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Cool, we will figure something out. Nice to see ur lady likes to wheel too, makes em more understanding when it comes to modding, especially when It's their rig! Whose sliders are you getting?
I had a person in mind, but I find his customer service to be extremely poor. I don't want to bash him by name on here, so I will let other people make their decisions.

In the TW Colorado B.S. thread there was a guy posted, I think I will try him. I think he makes them himself, if he doesn't, then I will go with Trail Gear. I had them on my last 4runner and they held up great.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 AM

And for sure! I really want to get out and wheel but I have Thursdays and Fridays off... no one wheels those days which is great for seclusion but sucks if you are trying to get someone to wheel with...
Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 AM

i watched a thing on utube and apparently their is some mod where u cut a grey wire or something and it allows the lsd to engage even when you are in 4 low.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by trd123
i watched a thing on utube and apparently their is some mod where u cut a grey wire or something and it allows the lsd to engage even when you are in 4 low.
Yup, I am thinking about doing it. I have to do some more research before I am ready to do it. There is a yellow wire mod and a gray wire mod, so I need to figure out which one I need to do and how to do it.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM

huh thats kinda cool wat does clipping the grey or yellow wire do i mean is their any difference.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:01 AM

ok yellow wire is for my truck, adding a-trac to 4lo. Gray wire is for e-lockers, making them engage in 4hi.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=Hayes;51788120][QUOTE]

At least the Jeep has a Toyota licence plate, it's good to see the new rig out on the trail!

I love my CO2 tank; it's fast, quiet, simple and the vehicle does not need to be running. I have a 20 pound welding tank and it lasts a quite a while. I exchange it with a new tank before any big trip, just for the piece of mind (it's under $20). I also have an ARB compressor for my locker, and those times when I run out of CO2. It's slow but it gets the job done when I need it.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
At least the Jeep has a Toyota licence plate, it's good to see the new rig out on the trail!
Agreed!!

I love my CO2 tank; it's fast, quiet, simple and the vehicle does not need to be running. I have a 20 pound welding tank and it lasts a quite a while. I exchange it with a new tank before any big trip, just for the piece of mind (it's under $20). I also have an ARB compressor for my locker, and those times when I run out of CO2. It's slow but it gets the job done when I need it.
I had a CO2 tank from before, and when you have to mount the compressor inside the cabin, I agree the co2 tank wins. I don't like the cost of having to fill it up constantly. Now, my tires wont be as big as they were on the 4runner so I wont have to fill it as often. The OBA would be a set it and forget it kind of a thing.

On the other hand, I like how easy and compact the co2 tanks are.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM

alright, slow but sure progress. Not all happened today, but they are recent.

First I love my ScanGauge II, but have never liked how it was mounted. It used to just sit on top of the steering column and blocked the bottom part of my gauge cluster. I solved that problem.

It took 5 dollars worth of supplies and 10 minutes to complete. My fiance and I both agreed that it was way easier than we thought it would be.

Supplies: 2 dollar store tape measures and some double sided tape.

I took the clips off the tape measures and used the tape to stick them to the gauge. I pulled the A pillar off and ran the wire. I had to remove the visor to get enough flex in the roof liner, but once I had that off, everything slid into place. I like that it's out of the way and barely blocks any view, but is easy to read while driving down the road.

Mod 2.

I carry two dogs in the bed of my truck and the slipped and slid all around. I got this from my fiance's step dad.

It came out of a Ranger, so the dimensions are off, but the effect is great. The dogs can walk and be comfortable back there now. Eventaually, I plan on redoing it with a piece off wood that fits perfectly and covering it with carpet pad and more comfortable material, as the dogs will be spending a lot of time back there during the summer.

This picture just gives you a good look at what it looks like inside the topper.

This post was from another forum, so it's a little out of order.

I have also gotten 265/75-16 Hankook AT-M tires on the truck. No noticeable drop in mileage or power. They look great and handle great on road. I have not, however, gotten them off road.

I also picked up a Leer topper. It's great. There is some water the gets in when it is raining or the snow is melting, but I think it is coming in from the bottom and not the topper.

That's my little update. Still loving the truck, 5200 miles on it as of today. Tax money hopefully means sliders and skids, but we are also trying to move, so...

I will try and be a little better about keeping this updated.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM

does anyone have a picture of a tacoma like this with the flares removed?...my sister wants to remove hers to run bigger tires
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM

This guy took his off. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-ome-4x4.html
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM

really doesn't make much more room does it...lol thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM

As a newb, I'm glad to see that it's OK not to just immediately modify the chassis. For my '93, I'm thinking of everything I ever wanted it to have over the years I drove it, stock, and a bigger motor is #1 on the list, as the original steadily approaches 300 K.

But I can also see my path taking me to the chassis a little bit sooner, just because of the age of the vehicle and its chassis components. Long as you're replacing something, why not replace it with something better?

Quick Reply: Hayes' 2011 Tacoma Build-Up Thread