Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up

Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man looking at all nice 4runner is making me jealous...
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM

I really like the height that you are at with the new setup. Its right around where I want mine. What size tires are you running?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4Runnin2000
I really like the height that you are at with the new setup. Its right around where I want mine. What size tires are you running?
285/75/16. Is like to adjust the front one more perch. It did level it more than it looks, but the way it handles now with new shock and everything is sweet.

-Ted
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Cool. That's good to know. Thanks! And nice runner!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Trail Find...

We'll call this a trail find...
Went out wheeling with a few of the members from the Az Roll Call thread through Wood Pecker. At the end of the trail, just before Axle Alley (am I right) there this was just sitting there. The group made mention it was a Flowmaster...in my disbeliefe I checked it out too. Made the formal inquiry to the group if we were allowed to take it out and the sensous was why not. So I threw it in the back of Josh's truck and he wheeled it out for me. Nice guy.

So I brought it home, cleaned it up and now it's ready to be installed.

Check it out:

Fresh out of the 4Runner and ready for some re-working:

Cleaned up and on the bench ready for the sawzall:

All cleaned and ready for the install:

Let me know what you guys think.

-Ted
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What I think? Hmmmmmmmmm.... >>>> FREE PART, LAYING THERE....+..... GOOD WHEELING ACQUAINTANCE TO LOAD IT UP AND BRING IT BACK......+....... A VICE TO CUT IT/CLEAN IT UP, .......... priceless! lol.

Seriously though... You'll have to slap it on to see if you can handle/if you like the sound, etc., ya know? But WHY NOT? Good Trail find! Goes to show..... Some tweekers are so paranoid that they hear wind off the Saguaro's and 'DROP AND RUN!' hehehehe. Poor guy, whoever got that cut out of his rig!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks Chef....I've ran a super 40, delta 50 and one more from FlowMaster, but that was on a V8. I figure I'll cut the stocker out and weld this in at some point this week and drive with it for a while. Worst case: I love it and have to leave it in. Best case: I hate it and have to leave it in.

So I'm really happy with how the 4Runner did yesterday out on the trail. The front upgrade really smoothed out the ride. Now to the rear end: I know I have some bushings worn out on the links and panhard bar, so those will have to be next...er right after a new clutch. It started slipping a little on the ride home yesterday all it wont be long till its toast. Anyone have a recommendation? I was thinking Marlin Crawler but his arent in stock...the HD is the one I'm after. Haven't needed to think about a clutch yet so more research is underway.

-Ted
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Awesome find but how does 1 lose a muffler and not know it
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM

NO problem....

And good update, great to hear that it's 'GOOD NEWS'! Nothing like the feel of a SOLID RIDE underneath ya! Sorry that you're now having to think about the clutch... but at least you WONT GET RAPED IN LABOR! lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Awesome find but how does 1 lose a muffler and not know it
I couldn't tell ya...but there it was, ripe for the pick 'n' so I grabbed it.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
NO problem....

And good update, great to hear that it's 'GOOD NEWS'! Nothing like the feel of a SOLID RIDE underneath ya! Sorry that you're now having to think about the clutch... but at least you WONT GET RAPED IN LABOR! lol.
I've already got a second set of hands for some help. Thankfully he use to be a YOTA tech...so he'll know better what to do than I will.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM

Great trail find, I'm wanting to upgrade to a flow master but its a ways down the list. Glad to hear the front end feels better I need to do rack bushings in mine at a minimum, its on the list lol. Sorry to hear about the clutch but after you get it swapped out you want have to worry about it for awhile. Sounds like you had a good time now wheres the PICS lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Great trail find, I'm wanting to upgrade to a flow master but its a ways down the list. Glad to hear the front end feels better I need to do rack bushings in mine at a minimum, its on the list lol. Sorry to hear about the clutch but after you get it swapped out you want have to worry about it for awhile. Sounds like you had a good time now wheres the PICS lol.
O only took a couple and that was on the way to the trail head and my buddy 87Deathtrap in/ at the famed "firehole". There should be some coming up in the "Az Roll call" thread. I'll try and link to it when I get home and I'll edit this post so its easier to find.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Have you thought about a Centerforce Clutch, or LUK? I have the "Made In Japan-Daikin"(OEM), through Exedy..... not sure if they offer it any longer, cuz I know much of Exedy is made in China now.... But I think they're still available... And I got a 1200# Version of it for 159$, with the entire kit.... Which I think is a very good deal. I can't remember the company that I got it from ..........I could look. I figured, the last one I had lasted 247K, and still had life left in it, and it never really left me stranded or started slipping bad when on 'WAY OUT THERE' wilderness trips... So WHY NOT go with OEM again, right? lol.

I think www.LCEngineering.com always has them in stock, but they're sometimes pricier(BUT, I think they ship free over 100$, so>........??????? lol).

WabFab might have em, did you check with Wabbit?

On here, near the bottom left..>>>> http://22reperformance.com/22RE%20Pe...n%20parts.html ....... but I don't see your year??? lol. Good guys though!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Good news tonight....found an OEM clutch set up and bought it. An added bonus to this: If it doesn't fit right or I have any warranty issues, I know where they are. Coming from my neck of the woods...I use to live just off of Lambert Rd. and Brea is what I consider part of my back yard.

Super cheap too..check it out great find...again.

Thanks for the help Chef, but Center Force was well over $400.00 and some of the other's I looked at were no namers. LuK is good too, but I'd rather go back with OEM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Looks like a good buy.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Looks like a good buy.
You're up late...must be watching the Daytona 500?

Yeah, the dealership wants $425.00+ for the same thing. Just glad it's all Aisin/Daikin/Asco parts.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Actually I'm driving thrust your beautiful state lol. I was going to suggest dialaclutch.com but you got about the same deal I got thru them.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Clutch shipped...hope it's here by the weekend.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Good news tonight....found an OEM clutch set up and bought it. An added bonus to this: If it doesn't fit right or I have any warranty issues, I know where they are. Coming from my neck of the woods...I use to live just off of Lambert Rd. and Brea is what I consider part of my back yard.

Super cheap too..check it out great find...again.

Thanks for the help Chef, but Center Force was well over $400.00 and some of the other's I looked at were no namers. LuK is good too, but I'd rather go back with OEM.
NICE! Daikin is a Japan Made Product, made for many Japanese Manuf.'s(But they were bought out by Exedy, which still has some Japan ones...but most are China now, at least that's what some of the resellers I've spoken to have told me ) lol....... My local dealer wanted to sell me one for 289$, lol..... I saved big on mine, too... but DANG they've gone up in just the last 2 years, I can't believe it! ..... But you SCORED! Great buy!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-28-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up