Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason's 1996 4Runner Ltd. rebirth

Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason's 1996 4Runner Ltd. rebirth

Kind of a repost from the Check out my truck section here but I omitted some stuff when posting here to clean up the thread some.

I bought it like this, bone stock with a dead motor for $500 near LaGrange, KY.

Other than Husky's all around the first real mod was this, cup holder mod.

Came with a wood stereo surround bezel and black everywhere else, swapped in matching wood dash parts and shifter surround.

I bought a T15 from a member here and had it shipped to work. Think Steve at Sonoran Steel ended up shipping it for him, thanks Steve!! Got tired of it just sitting in the apartment so got some warm clothes on and had at it. Very easy, one man install.

Next to my wifey's 01 XJ - she's gone now, great little SUV it was.

Since I bought it I've put in a used engine with 61K, new AC evaporator (old one was caked with dead bugs and crap and was growing crap and stunk to high heaven), Yakima racks, new leather interior door armrests, new passenger door panel, Toyota moonroof visor, newer front door handles (original ones were repainted and didn't match), Husky liners everywhere, 99+ rear cargo panels with the 12V outlet, 2 additional 12V outlets near the ashy tray, 6 gang fuse box under the dash and I'm going to add a smaller one under the hood. I'm also going to add Hella 500s or 700 FFs, an inverter in the rear, radar detector, fuse distribution block under the hood, CB, rear diff breather extension, Toyota wind deflector, working on a Satoshi mod grille so it's got a 99 grille in the hole now, deck plate mod, custom black pearl emblems, 02 sunvisors with homelink and lights wired and ready to go (wifey loves having a lighted mirror!!), OME lift and either BFG MT KMs or GY MTRs and sliders. A rear bumper is in the distant future but definitely in it.
Here is my first Toyota, had to sell it to buy something that I could put a car seat in. Hard to do but well worth it because my son loves the 4Runner.

At Livingson, KY

The latest before she sold

It's a 98 2.7 5 speed, 3" TM BL, OME 2.5" suspension lift, Overkill Offroad rear bumper, extended shifters, console swap, 33x12.50 BFG MT KM on Wheelers 15x8 rims, Bushwacker Cutout Flares, Leer cap with Yakima roof racks, Manik brushguard with Hella 500s, CB, deckplate mod, alarm with power door locks added, sliders, 4.56 gears locked front and rear, Demello bed bar, diamond clear headlights. It was a very capable truck and never gave me any troubles.

Last edited by terminator; 12-26-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Installed my Pioneer head unit and CB

Got the Hella 500s on too, you can also see the JDM factory Toyota vent visors

Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 AM

Black Pearl mod (after a few years the paint has been flaking off on some emblems so it looks terrible), Satoshi mod but hard to see with the Hella 500s in the way and 1st Gen rollbar fitted, still needs painted and the original pad is on it's way to be installed.

Added the ANL fuse and the AWG fuse block, currently running a fuse distribution block with two 12V accessory outlets and also a Cobra power inverter.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 AM

I FINALLY got to give my 4Runner a real hand bath at my Dad's while on vacation. Also sold the running boards and had my Stubbs sliders welded on. Again, bought them used from a YT member.

Last edited by terminator; 12-26-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 AM

Added some Honda JDM sidemarkers b/c I like the style better and they're angled for some reason, I like them so they're on.

Backing it up a bit for full shot. Also added some TRD 4Runner stickers and a Yakima MegaWarrior with extension.

Last edited by terminator; 12-26-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Got a deal on some ARE Mojave wheels, took it to Wal-Mart for some Bridgestone RVTs. I can't make up my mind if I like all the different colors though. Sunfire Red Metallic, silver then the black wheels. Would look great if the flares were body color. Anyways, the tires aren't balanced at all. Ended up finding out there was one bad tire so had it replaced. Wal-Mart never could get them balanced right and found out later they weren't even supposed to mount tires on after factory wheels. I had to battle with them but finally got a full refund. Long story short, don't buy tires from WM!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Found these Ivan Stewart wheels with tires that are a tad small. Picking up some cheap, lightly used Rugged Trails today to get back to stock size until I get the $ for the lift and some MTs.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 AM

I bought some 2001-02 tails from eBay and I'm very pleased with them. They showed up on Friday instead of the Monday that tracking said They came with new wires and bulbs and they look much cleaner than the 96-00 in my opinion. The only thing you need to modify is where each wire is pinned on the new tails. The 96-00 have the exact same 4 wires, same colors too just pinned in different locations on the plug. Just pull up the little lock on the plug, use a jeweler flathead screwdriver to depress the wire and it pulls out. Don't pull too hard b/c you'll pull the wire out of metal plug thing and you'll have to uncrimp it and fix it. I had one do that to me but it was an easy fix. Unplug the factory wires, unscrew the 10mm ground, pull wires out which is extremely easy and then reverse the process to put the new ones in. I'm very pleased with the outcome + local bought my old tails for $70 which covered a bit over half of the cost of the new ones and let me borrow the nasty euros until my new ones arrived.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:18 AM

Had my 1" body lift just sitting a box so I decided to try the to install the lift myself. No air tools, 4X4 post for lifting the body with a floor jack and elbow grease. By myself it took me about 3-1/2 hours and was actually pretty easy. The most difficult parts were removing the T-15 and doing the steering extension. I ended up pulling off the steering wheel b/c I didn't get it aligned perfect so that fixed it. I really like how the gap on the front turned out, looks great IMHO. I'm very happy, just need to put my KMA bumper on now.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Sold the IS wheels and bought some LC 80's from a member here. KMA Multicarrier finally on. I think it's a great product but it's definitely not for the unskilled metal fab guy or at least not for somebody that doesn't have friends with skills. A lot of fitting, cutting and welding went into it and the bumper itself is still out of square. I can't get the jerk Kyle at KMA to do anything about it so if you can't have them fab it right to your vehicle then I would pass. I have a thread on buying their bumper and the BS I went through with them (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...-night-163526/). The entire thing is just slightly out of whack but still is a nice product, very strong. I need to move it about 1.5" in to the body as I have it a bit too far away but all in all it's stout.

This a good pic where you can see how the bumper angles up as it moves toward the wheel well.

Last edited by terminator; 12-26-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:37 AM

The build has been on hold due to lack of funds but we still take it out.

Trip to Orton Plantation near Wilmington, NC. Just happened there was a 4th Gen there also!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Cornfed 2.5" lift installed, FINALLY!!! Looks uneven but it sits flush, bad camera angle. Tires are 265-70-16.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 AM

Got the new tires on, Kumho 285-75-16 and installed a 2" body lift. I still need to have the T15 brackets modded to fit the body lift though, looks goofy.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Rollbar pad pic, forgot to add that a while back. I also picked up some pads that fit near the bottom of the rollbar at the rear part that is curved. I think they came out of a Suzuki Sidekick but can't remember but they fit pretty well, will get a pic of them on.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:06 AM

Moved the Hi-Lift to the inside of the cargo area. Just used a bolt about 2.5" in length, several washers, a lock washer and a brass sleeve (labeled a bearing in the hardware bin) and it's in and secure with no movement or rattles.

Carseat mod
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 AM

nice runner youve done a lot of the same mods Im looking at doing.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Thanks J.
I had a very hard to hear tic in my trans and it gradually became a loud knock. Turned out to be this, 50K on what should have been a new flexplate when the engine was installed:

Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Ouch that sucks man, I had that happen on a sb chevy years ago happened 3 times, turned out the crank was out of wack just a tad.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 PM

Finally had my hood painted.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Out exploring some old trail in Clayton, NC. Stopped b/c it looks like somebody deliberately put this log here.

Installed my Warn M8000, finally. Daystar shackle isolators, I know they're for deading the rattle on rear bumpers but I like the look.

Last edited by terminator; 06-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jason's 1996 4Runner Ltd. rebirth