Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gosh i see all these runners and i kick myself for buying the pickup! ugh! but anyways very nice jason, its not offroading if you dont break something! i just did new cvs on my pickup and there not as hard as they look, as far as the bumper goes time to upgrade! have a happy new years!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey ted thanks for checking in.
Hey terry.
Thanks for the support guys. The wife was actually pretty cool about it, we have been together 16 years so shes used to me breaking things lol still worrie about that one thing that will push her over the edge.
Anyway working out a plan for the new bumped, it will be a plate bumper as Im not a fan of tube bumpers. I wanted a swing out tire carrier but Im not sure about that after doing some research I guess these 3rd gen frames wont handle the weight with out being beefed up some and Im no enginer, I want somthing that kinda mimics the stock one just stronger.
Been married to mine since July 2011...after dating for 13 years so she understands me better than....I mean, see's right through me. I've not searched here about the frame being weak. Either way, we'd strengthen the frame while we're building as its our common practice on all our custom bumper work. I've seen some good plate bumpers and some not so good, where strength is concerned. I do however prefer the tube bumpers. They just seem to be a little easier to build and most of the time, they look good too. Good luck, I'll stay tuned.

-Ted
Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Hey westjohns thanks for checking in. Yep not the first time Ive bent or broke things LOL my 86 took a beating everytime I wheeled it.

I spent some time talking to a local fab shop yesteday about a bumper and he agreed to let me do as much of the work as I can with his guidance he builds mainly highend buggies cool stuff but hes a big yota guy. Any hes thinking tube bumper aswell so as soon as I can get it over there I think I will see what we can put together maybe a combo of both.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice kinda guy to meet.... Best wishes on that, Jason!

Tell Reggie I said SUPPPPPPPPP! Hope you're getting more 'home' time now.... if that's best anyway, lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM

first the good news, got the CV changed went smooth enough so thanks to all of you for your advice.
Ok the bad news seems the CV wasnt the issue becouse the poping and cluncking is still there and I seen no apperent failure in the CV shaft. Im going to drain the the diff tomorow, drop a magnit in and seem what I drag out if theres chucks then I guess its time to pull the diff ugh this just keeps getting worse.
oddly this diff seems to have been apart before there is red rtv all over wonder what happened the last time.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hope it isnt to bad. Here is where I wish I knew gears. I would have to swap the whole axle. Maybe it will be something small for you.

Does it only do it in 4 wheel or in 2 wheel also?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Cool on the cv change but
Yikes! Hope it turns out to be something stupid easy for you.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Oh man, ... grrrr! Well, I'm sure you'll get it tracked down and all sussed up, no time, Jason... I know, you'll need to since you never seem to get LOTS of time to spend on the rigs b4 you're out again....but you'll get it, man.

Clunking, eh? You know what it is on my end. One 'clunk' is my rear diff locker.... and the other one up front(diff from yours I think)..... My Trans syncro/s.

Hab, is a diff a bear to swap out in these?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hope it isnt to bad. Here is where I wish I knew gears. I would have to swap the whole axle. Maybe it will be something small for you.

Does it only do it in 4 wheel or in 2 wheel also?
hey terry I dont know much about diffs either I have changed stripped side gears in a ford 9 inch bur thats all the knowledge I have. yea its makeing the noise in 2 and 4 wheel, with no hubs to unlock the front diff or at least parts of it turn all the time.

Originally Posted by habanero
Cool on the cv change but
Yikes! Hope it turns out to be something stupid easy for you.
yep hab the shaft wasnt bad at all it was the skid plate that I shouldnt have reinstalled with out a test drive that was the biggest pain LOL.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Oh man, ... grrrr! Well, I'm sure you'll get it tracked down and all sussed up, no time, Jason... I know, you'll need to since you never seem to get LOTS of time to spend on the rigs b4 you're out again....but you'll get it, man.

Clunking, eh? You know what it is on my end. One 'clunk' is my rear diff locker.... and the other one up front(diff from yours I think)..... My Trans syncro/s.

Hab, is a diff a bear to swap out in these?

hey mark yea this is some what of a downer but I will get it figured out. pulling the diff doesnt seem complicated just a lot of work. looks like I will be finding out.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM

I would be asking Hab and maybe Scotty/others with these what's likely to cause that 'CLUNK', ya know? Couldn't be the T-case, right? Play in the trans? Is it intermittent/random?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I would be asking Hab and maybe Scotty/others with these what's likely to cause that 'CLUNK', ya know? Couldn't be the T-case, right? Play in the trans? Is it intermittent/random?

hey mark its not a constant issue but when it binds or what ever it will actually tug the stearing wheel to the left. I just spun the wheel by hand last night and it would roll free for a bit then lock up roll in the other way a half turn or so then it would spin free again. Im sure its in the diff just not sure what it might be. Im trying to do some checking before I remove anything.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 AM

........... YOU'LL GET IT, HOMIE! lol. Hope you 'get it' with the least expense and drama possible, man!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with either dif- yet. At least it wouldn't be as awkward at the tranny and transfer case. That was a bear to get out. And back in.

Recently chased down a couple of clunks. In the 96 it was the left lower control arm bushings, but that was more noticeable on bumpy roads.
On the 99 wheeling at Waschita did in the right sway bar link (popping on turns) and the left ball joint (clunking on turns). A little funky steering too. The link was obvious because the top was missing. The ball joint was not except for grease around the ball joint nut and when you lifted the lower a-arm there was a slight gap between nut and a-arm.

Clunks? 233,000 miles on the 96 makes me prefer to call 'em love-taps. That truck loves me bunches sometimes.

Last edited by habanero; 01-14-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just checking in on you. Hoping things are maybe a little better for ya.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Clunks? 233,000 miles on the 96 makes me prefer to call 'em love-taps. That truck loves me bunches sometimes.

LOL all my vehichles love me if thats the case.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Just checking in on you. Hoping things are maybe a little better for ya.

hey terry thanks for checking buddy, alittle better and a little worse.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Ok I really need some help PLEASE!!!!!!!! I dug a little futher into this and discovered in fact I do have a broken CV, it was on the passenger side I feel better knowing this. The problem is the broken part of the shaft is still in the tube and I have spent more time than I care to admit trying to get it out with no luck, I decided since I was so far into it I would just remove the diff anyway this turned into more of a job than I can seem to handle. any advice would be great.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Is it still snapped in or loose and cockeyed? There's some threads on this, it happens occasionally but I've been fortunate enough not to have to deal with it. Just outta curiosity, was it the oem yota shaft or a replacement of some sort- that you know of?

Let me look for some of those threads....

hmmm, not finding what I'm looking for, I'll keep looking. If I remember right the one with the snap ring still engaged was drilled and tapped, then a bolt run into it so they had something to yank it out with....

Still looking....

Last edited by habanero; 01-15-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
Is it still snapped in or loose and cockeyed? There's some threads on this, it happens occasionally but I've been fortunate enough not to have to deal with it. Just outta curiosity, was it the oem yota shaft or a replacement of some sort- that you know of?

Let me look for some of those threads....

thank you so much hab, Its still snaped in and Im not sure if its an ome shaft or not. searching for info myself but not really comeing up with anything.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

I know I've seen stuff on it but I've been searching since I posted and am coming up blank other than 2 posts that say they drilled, tapped and used a bolt. I don't have any experience on that one and hope I never will.

I've seen posts on t4r, ttora and here on the subject, dunno why I can't find those durned threads. Urgh! Tonight I feel like a search newb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"