Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"

Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"

hello I recently purchased a 97 4runner limited 4x4. this runner will not be my primary wheeling rig so this build will be preaty mild in comparison to others. my plan is to put together the 3rd gen runner that I wish toyota would have built, and maybe a few extras.
the first thing done was removed the factory running boards, rewired the elocker, and cleaned it up some.
ok a few pics.

and a little wheeling. no the tundras not mine.
at the moment I a waiting on some parts to so up I ordered a 2.5 inch lift from wabfab, scored a set of ome shocks for the same lift from a fellow yotatecher. also trieing to find a roof basket and sliders. and we will see where things go from there, any suggetions from you guys would be great exspecialy on tires Im gonna need a set soon. thanks for checking in.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wahoo, I get to be the first post for you. I looked here before and meant to post. Was just looking to see what you had done to it after reading your 86 post.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Haga thanks for checking in Terry, I meant to get progress posted up here and got side tracked trying to get pics loaded in my computer, as soon as I get a chance I will get some progress pics up.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm 2nd.....hehehehehe.

more

pics

please

now

thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks nice, can't tell if its brown or gray haha
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Looks nice, can't tell if its brown or gray haha
LOL its grey with brown accents, if I would have know how long I was going to have to deal with all that freaking mud I would have rethought playing in it, I don't think I'm gonna ever get it clean. Thanks for the kind words.
Jerry I will get some pics up ASAP, LOL.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM

haveing trouble gettings pics to load to photobucket but heres a few from last weekend

I will try and get more up if I can get my account to work.
thanks for checking in.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Didnt even know you had this thread where was yall wheeling at?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by baddest94
Didnt even know you had this thread where was yall wheeling at?

tracy city tn, its close to mont eagle great trails cant wait to go back.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Kewl my grandparents live in morristown tn bout how far from there is it (if you know where morristown is.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM

a couple pics of the rock rash I picked up last weekend

not sure what Im going to do for bumpers but the stocker have got to go, thats a ways down the road tho, you cant really see in the pics I have up but the 2.5 inch lift is not level it actually sits about an 1.5 higher in the rear, I know the springs are going to relax some but I want to lift the front about an inch more. at the moment Im researching how much more it will take to clear 305 70 16s if Ive calculated it right thats about a 33x12.5. I know my current lift is not enough at least in the front so Im thinking a 1 inch body lift maybe. anybody has any suggetions lay em on me please.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

AHHHHHH I remeber you now! That 4runner did great! I was thinking, man this guy is crazy , that 4runner is bone stock, but it did great!

I sat across from you at the raffle. Tall skinny guy that won the flat biller hat. I also ran into you at the McDonalds sunday morning. Your wife will remeber that b/c I bought one bag of ice. My buddy walked out one door and grabbed ice, I went out the other and grabbed from another ice bin.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by FUNrunner87
AHHHHHH I remeber you now! That 4runner did great! I was thinking, man this guy is crazy , that 4runner is bone stock, but it did great!

I sat across from you at the raffle. Tall skinny guy that won the flat biller hat. I also ran into you at the McDonalds sunday morning. Your wife will remeber that b/c I bought one bag of ice. My buddy walked out one door and grabbed ice, I went out the other and grabbed from another ice bin.
I remember you guys, yea I was more than Impressed with my runner, the wife was scared to death of tearing it up but other than the bumper and some under belly rash we came out alright, really sorry I missed ya man.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I remember you guys, yea I was more than Impressed with my runner, the wife was scared to death of tearing it up but other than the bumper and some under belly rash we came out alright, really sorry I missed ya man.

Its cool. it didnt click with me untill I saw the pics above. It was nice meeting you. Im not gonna lie to you. The NCttora group WILL be alot more than you want your 4runner to do. There will plenty of places ride and sight see in Harlan, but the NC guys dont really hit them. The purple truck, and camo colored truck with the baby doll head are both NCttora memebers. Im not trying to scare you off, but I dont want you to get there and think man, I thought it would be easier stuff.Harlan April 2011

Last edited by FUNrunner87; 09-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by FUNrunner87
Its cool. it didnt click with me untill I saw the pics above. It was nice meeting you. Im not gonna lie to you. The NCttora group WILL be alot more than you want your 4runner to do. There will plenty of places ride and sight see in Harlan, but the NC guys dont really hit them. The purple truck, and camo colored truck with the baby doll head are both NCttora memebers. Im not trying to scare you off, but I dont want you to get there and think man, I thought it would be easier stuff.Harlan April 2011
yeah I gotta take it kinda easy on the 97 its kinna our daily driver, maybe after I armor it up some, some of the ga guys were talking about going up there but I dont remember when they said, Im sure we will have other opratunitys.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

For a stock setup, these little trucks will go through quite a bit. Sounds like you did great.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Hey jason! Glad yall made it to SETO - and I absolutely LOVE that 4runner of yours. I have always loved that color, you don't see it too often.

Can't wait to see what you do with this one, those trucks are pretty capable from the factory, throw in a locker and some armor and you'll be ready to roll
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by *darcy*
Hey jason! Glad yall made it to SETO - and I absolutely LOVE that 4runner of yours. I have always loved that color, you don't see it too often.

Can't wait to see what you do with this one, those trucks are pretty capable from the factory, throw in a locker and some armor and you'll be ready to roll
thanks darcy, already has a locker in the rear need some armor for sure, I hadnt noticed until we were wheeling how low and unprotected the radiator is. seto was a great time and a great bunch of folks really looking forward to doing it again.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
For a stock setup, these little trucks will go through quite a bit. Sounds like you did great.
yep Ive said it before terry this thing amazed me, we didnt hit anything hard core but had a great time.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

You will like it more and more. Sure wish they would of continued with the E-locker on the later models. My 01 doesnt have it. Also they stopped putting the manual tranny in 2000. That is what I would like to have.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You will like it more and more. Sure wish they would of continued with the E-locker on the later models. My 01 doesnt have it. Also they stopped putting the manual tranny in 2000. That is what I would like to have.
really glad mine has the locker the rewire to make it more useful was really simple and made a world of differance, I really wish mine was a 5 speed but hey the auto has its advantages to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"