Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Hope you guys don't get hit too bad with weather!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Can't wait to see what you decide on for your bumper, I like the look of a center hoop, but I have to admit trying to work around it can be a bit of a pain.
That. And that. Those points exactly. Also, I think somebody ^ ^ ^ owes us a pic of his own customized bumper design!

Originally Posted by dropzone
Hope you guys don't get hit too bad with weather!
We're in good shape here, and fortunate. All I have is deal with all the extra traffic from people having to avoid closed highways. Not complaining! My co-worker is pretty much stuck at home because all the highways around her are closed. the last big flooding was bad, seems this one is worse.

Worried about Terry and his family, hoping they are good in Southwest MO.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Did I mention extra traffic....like 45 minutes for a 6 minute drive?

ABSOLUTELY not complaining, got it so easy compared to a whole lot of other people.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 290,500 miles

View from the 99:
A little fun at Flat Nasty today. Nothing crazy, just some fun in the woods with MO4wd and some awesome people.

Both our trucks:

Me trying to get up a little group of rocks and my butt kept swinging off the line and into the hole. A little rock stacking and good spotting and some "aim for your husband!" and up it I went. I'm actually backing up here to get a better line. That's bill next to me- top class guy and terrific spotter. Hahaha....that's my husband running away.....

We had a lady in a 7 month old Tacoma wheeling with us so nothing too strenuous. By the time we were do she only had 2 of her 4 steps left but she did very very well with what she had- the newest, longest, widest, lowest, stockest 4x4 in the group and the trail was tight in places, off camber in places, up, down and rocky too. I was impressed.

My driveshaft visited the gas tank skid a couple/ few times when there was a lot of articulation in the rear so that's going to be dealt with either by cutting or flattening the skid. Scraped the front bumper valance a little and tweaked the steel. Lightly tested a slider. A good day. Could have been tougher, but it didn't need to be.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
some "aim for your husband!" and up it I went.

Hahaha....that's my husband running away.....
Yeah... probably should have put some time limits on that!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This looked like a pretty fun drive!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hi ericwudi0830. It's a nice pay-to-play park with stuff I can do and stuff I can't. Personally I prefer the point to point going someplace with some decent challenges and dispersed camping along the way but this will do in my neck of the woods.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing much. Finally got around to opening up the power steering filter from the 96. The magnet has a bunch of metal shavings and metal grit stuck to it so I suppose I'm glad I put one in with the new rack and pinion.

Other than that the 99 got a new Aisin clutch master.

And we're waiting on front bumpers. A little behind schedule but that's okay. Really hoping to get them in the next week or two....

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice! What bumpers did you decide to go with? Front receiver mount?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Hi JBurt! We decided on 4xInnovations w/ front receiver.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Wow, never knew about power steering filters.
I hope you get your new bumpers timely, heard he was having delays.
I love the sliders he made for me a few years ago
Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I did not know of the filter. Never heard of one in a power steering system. Learned something new. Looks like you had a great time wheeling. Survived the flooding. I had to clean my shop floor but I set my shop up for water on the floor and that was about as high as it got. I had a friend to loose his house. Flood damage is a mess. Traffic can get busy up in your area. Hope things are getting back to normal for you.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, never knew about power steering filters.
I hope you get your new bumpers timely, heard he was having delays.
I love the sliders he made for me a few years ago
He gave me a ridiculous-quick turn-around time when I bought them, didn't think it'd be that fast. Guess I was right. Currently are still within a reasonable time so I keep hoping for soon. The rear was worth the wait, this should be too. Hope all is well at his shop, he's not really had much to say. I'm just trying not to bother him and being patient though I'm kinda feeling kid at Christmas right about now.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I did not know of the filter. Never heard of one in a power steering system. Learned something new. Looks like you had a great time wheeling. Survived the flooding. I had to clean my shop floor but I set my shop up for water on the floor and that was about as high as it got. I had a friend to loose his house. Flood damage is a mess. Traffic can get busy up in your area. Hope things are getting back to normal for you.
It's recommended to install a filter when you replace the rack and pinion or ps pump so I did. It'd been awhile and I was curious so I changed it out with a new one and had a look at the dirty one.

Glad your water damage was minimal and sorry to hear about your friend's house. That was some crazy flooding! They're building a fly-over ramp for 141 and 44 because of the constant flooding on the underpass and subsequent closure of 141 at 44. We've been back to normal for awhile now, so many towns and roads were so much worse off than this area.
The wheeling was fun. A little more mild than usual, but still offered some challenges. I really need to get out more more more. Never gonna get better at it until I do. Every trip is new information and ideas for the next trip.

Not much else going on here. FINALLY got around to replacing the shed's side walls and put gutters on to help keep the bottom from rotting again. May I never have to stain rough board again! That was definitely the worst part.

And my 27ish year old Black and Decker circular saw died. We've had a lot of good times together. Of course I had to tear it apart to see WHY. It did have this weird word I'm not used to seeing printed on some of the guts....USA....does anybody know what that might mean??

No fixing that...

And that's a St. Louis Cardinals glass.

Deer are popping out babies all over. This one was still figuring out legs. We were not close, just a half-decent camera. Took a few pics then turned back and went the way we came rather than get anywhere near.

OH! And the hubby got a package in the mail! Now clamp-bot is very busy and the Arb air compressor he won in the give-away is getting installed a lot more quickly than I did mine. How exciting!

He's already got power back there because of the portable winch wiring so is contemplating a positive buss bar to draw off that. My OBA gets used for a lot of tasks beyond our trucks' tires, it'll be nice for him to have his own both on the trail and at home.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats to the hubby, on that compressor!

Beautiful little deer there. We don't see them with spots like that around here.

​​​​​​
Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Fossilized
Staff

that is awesome about the dear. I miss this time of year in ALaska with the bear cubs and little moose running around

Cool about the compressor, wasn't aware he was the one that one.
I have gone back and forth about hard mounting my compressor, it seems I go back and forth since I use it in a couple of trucks.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Congrats to the hubby, on that compressor!

Beautiful little deer there. We don't see them with spots like that around here.

​​​​​​
The hubby's really stoked about having OBA.
We have whitetail deer here, they sure are cute even if they do snack on my plants.
that is awesome about the dear. I miss this time of year in ALaska with the bear cubs and little moose running around

Cool about the compressor, wasn't aware he was the one that one.
I have gone back and forth about hard mounting my compressor, it seems I go back and forth since I use it in a couple of trucks.
Little moose that would be cool to see, cubs and mooslets
When the 1st place winner didn't respond everybody moved up. What he actually won was more expensive and he'd be happy to have it but asked if he could have the Arb instead as it's more useful to him and the powers that be said yes so WOOHOO! for him. It's installed in the cubby and hose and connectors and stuff have been ordered.

Haven't done much today. My sister found an FJ Cruiser she's planned on buying today that she's very excited about. Her mustang got squished in her driveway by a huge tree limb is why she's getting something new. We spent the day driving here (she also has a tib/fib break so no driving) getting the monies together. Will post a pic if she gets it.
Getting the trailer up to snuff for the eventual day when we road trip for bumpers. Re-wiring and rebuilt tailgate.
Also turned my 96 into a 3-seater so I could flip the dog's crate around for better air flow. He travels with much less stress in the crate. Still stuck with a seat belt when wheeling because I can't imagine his flopping around in the box would be good at all. Were it his choice I'd always take him on rides in the crate and only on smooth straight roads.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Who's picking up bumpers this weekend? This woman!

And one of the sisters now has an FJ Cruiser. Gotta get a pic of it. Blue, but not kaibo blue. Calvary blue.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool, Hab!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Agreed malteserunner!

A little road trip up to Wisconsin to visit with 4xInnovations. Pleased to meet Adam and the crew, real nice people.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Front hitch off the 96

And then I got a lot smarter...

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread