Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like it!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
I have always liked the double stacked radios but a friend of mine recently found his radios were generating so much heat they were killing each other. He ended running a small fan to help cooling.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Nice tip dropzone! I never did get around to the fan(s) for the air compressor, either. There could be fandemonium! I haven't had radio death troubles *yet*, maybe because I don't run the cb very often? Acting preemptively makes sense.

The a/c duct runs above all that....what if I inserted a somewhat smallish tube into it and directed it down into the radio area? Aim the tube insertion so that it picks up some of the airflow?
Okay, maybe just a small fan would be a whole lot easier!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
....................................Acting preemptively makes sense.

The a/c duct runs above all that....what if I inserted a somewhat smallish tube into it and directed it down into the radio area? Aim the tube insertion so that it picks up some of the airflow?
Okay, maybe just a small fan would be a whole lot easier!
That will likely cause moisture problems, fan just moving the hot air away from the radios would be the best solution.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ThorInc
That will likely cause moisture problems, fan just moving the hot air away from the radios would be the best solution.
And that's why I value all of your input! An excellent point, I was thinking about air but not cold moisture condensing air. Doh!
Dropzone's fan thoughts make more sense then.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow. That's awesome.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks JBurt!

Lesson of the day for anyone who wants to know (and me!):
Make sure the material you choose is stiff enough to not bounce around with the weight of the phone on it. It's not bad but I may re-do it with a thicker bit of scrap aluminum I have laying around. If so I'll use this one for a template. Luckily it wasn't hard to create. Haven't decided though it does wiggle a bit at times.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Took a longer trip today, made a new bracket using some thicker scrap aluminum I had laying around. On the plus side the original bracket was a perfect template for the new one.
deja-thicker-vu

I used more bolts than necessary to mount the bracket. Eh, once you've drilled one hole in your bezel or whatever they call that thing....

It doesn't touch the switches even when fully open. It's also now a whole lot more solid.

And a random pic of my blow-stuff-up tools. Bike Tire inflator, Don't Want to Lean Down tire inflator, Air Mattress inflator. The air mattress inflator quickly turns back into a blow gun.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

New bracket = works great!

Also enjoyed episodes 19a and 19b of the Click and Clack.....er Clunk and Thump.....of the Toyota world. Yep, Toyota Trucks and Trails Podcast. That's really why I keep doing all the stuff to the truck, so I can get caught up on the show. Also put the second coat of paint on the front of the house while listening to 20. The only thing is I may never get the image of a bunch of men in bikinis out of my head!

Last edited by habanero; 10-02-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Well, in an effort to make sure I put the fuel needle where I want it I ran the truck out of gas. Not on purpose. It hesitated on take-off from a stop light and, knowing I was way low, I ducked into a parking lot. Gave me about one block worth of go before it didn't. Got it into a parking spot. Hiked a block up and picked up enough gas to get it to a station. Doh!
I learned it will take 17.29 gallons of gas (including the gas from the can) to auto shut-off at the pump. I also got the stupid needle figured out. I think. Don't know why getting this one just right is so difficult. At least it will be easier if I ever decide to change the color. Right? It's a good, or maybe bad, thing I like tinkering with stuff.

Speaking of gas, my fuel economy has been improving since replacing the rear o2 sensor. Just slightly, but every little bit counts. Will do some maths after several tanks. Torque Pro says it's an extra mile per gallon, but it also says my mpg is 22.5 which is No Freaking Way. Fueleconomy.gov says 14.4 mpg that last tank, not taking in account the bigger tires. I'm getting between 15 and 16 these days when I do the math, will see if it changes.

I've also found I have an antifreeze leak somewhere. Appears to be near the front of the engine. Happens kinda randomly, not every time. Not a big leak. Sprays here and there so hard to see where the leak is. I can get home, smell a bit of antifreeze, pop the hood, see the wet but not see the leak. Fun. Let it run for a bit with the hood up, no leaking. Of course. Losing very minimal coolant so far.
Did also notice a little coolant on the heater control valve, but can't tell if it's coming from the hose or the part. Also randomly wet. Will have to try to find some time to pop it apart to see what I can see. The heater hose has one of those pinch clamps on it, will prolly throw a screw clamp on for starters.

I'm really digging Dropzone's lights in the rear spoiler idea....may put a couple of small turn signal lights up there. That time thing again. It's trail build season which means near every weekend will have us out digging in the dirt. Worth it.

Other than that the 96 is giving me no worries. The annual Stocker No Locker event that Mightymouse organizes is this weekend. Maybe I'll try to not bust the ring and pinion again (or anything else!) and I know it'll be a good time. I'm really excited about the recovery kit from the Yotatech October giveaway too. What a lucky deal, can't wait for it to show up.

Life is good.

Last edited by habanero; 10-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Pegged the clinometer on both horizons. I am not moving (other than a bit of swaying), I'm holding clutch and brake and oh heck handle, hubby holding the truck down a few inches more until front can get secured. Once they got the front end down some and a bit more secure it came right up the hill. What would I do without these guys? Well, beyond flop over and slide down the hill a bit?
Being somewhat sideways with one wheel in a ditch on a steep hill and feeling very very light in the front can now be crossed off my list of things to not do. When I tried forward it wanted to come up even more. Nope. Where it slid into the rut was deep, but was worse just below where I was, backwards was not an option either. The hubby's truck did similar but went up and came down a couple-few times where mine stayed up and wanted to go more up. He must have approached it a little further forward, took a better line. What a difference a few inches can make.
Once again, pics make it look like I was out on a Sunday drive.
Oh wait! I was.

He says 'take a pic of your clinometer'. I grab my phone with my only free adrenalized hand and manage to nab a shot, it's even a nearly upright shot, but missed the vertical indicator. Of course. I did have other things on my mind at the time....

It was a great day going up and down hills and most had normal easy to moderate challenges. Fun driving, good people, good time.

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great to see the two of you getting out for a Sunday drive. Looks like it was a good time. Ditch at the house like that would make working underneath a truck a lot easier. lol
Old 10-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Lol Terry.....yard mod
Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Doesn't it say very plainly (in Japanese) at the bottom of your inclinometer not to exceed 30 degrees in your truck? I think you blew the warranty...
Old 10-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Heehee Nervo, it stops at 30 so see, I can't exceed that. Warranty still intact!

Heh, dang it, you've made me do some thinking and then some searching. Apparently there is a plastic tab stopper for the degrees and it can be easily removed. Tear the dash apart again to pull the inclinometer and do a little surgery on it?
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...inometer.shtml
Maybe next time I have to get in there anyway....hmmmm.....

I have no idea how much actual tilt I had. It's the lightest I've ever gotten the front end for sure. The hubby brought it down a couple inches and it still felt very light. Sitting there gently rocking back and forth left front to right rear. It really wanted to pivot everything onto the right rear tire. I can say it was quite a relief to get a strap on the front! I wasn't freaked and am too stupid to be scared, just felt like I was in a pickle that I wouldn't be able to get out of without some help. It wasn't a good feeling to be hanging there, and a bit frustrating. Thank goodness for help! I do know I'd be very happy if I never did it again! Not that I won't, though.

Here's the hubby in the 99 coming up one of the hills I'm at the top of...

And another Mo4wd group member I'm following down a steep and very rutted descent. He's open/open and drove very well with it...

It was a great time and thanks to Mightymouse for putting it all together plus all who volunteered their time to act as trail leads and sweep plus spotting!

Worst damage of the day was a beautiful built 4th gen 4Runner. Driver was new to wheeling I think, might have been in our group because of how capable his truck was built or maybe he wanted more challenge. I didn't hear the story on that. Broke something in the dif on the first shelf on the first climb. Hope he tries again. Nissan XTerra broke a cv and got another dent with the advance group. Field fixed the cv. There were several new wheelers for the beginner runs, sounds like all had a great time. Prettiest stock truck goes to the brand new blue Tacoma driven by a woman who's new to wheeling. Heard she had a great time so YAY for that!

Last edited by habanero; 06-30-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like a great time! Trails like that can be deceptively challenging.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Agreed dropzone! Off-camber is my least favorite thing so far, most especially crooked like that.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
It really didn't look like that tricky of a spot on the trail. But apparently you had to get the cross over of that deep rut *just right*, or look out.

I didn't think much of it, just drove across and turned... and then the front left corner came way up off the ground. Whoa! Off the gas and onto the brake, and it settled down again. Tried to get on the gas again and that corner went way up again. But it sat back down when I stopped trying to go forward. Yeah... time to wait for some spotting.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

I got a package from Yotatech!!! WooHoo! Very stoked thank you very much! Yotatech October giveaway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread