Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dannomite
Looks good. I have been waiting for you to start this thread so that I could subscribe. You are a creative guy and we look forward to what you will do with this rig. Also, congratulations on the sale of the nicest first gen runner I have ever seen.
Thanks, it will be a fun project!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 PM

What exactly prevented you from getting a new optima?
'
Old 05-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses...Especially to see what you come up with to replace the ugliest Toyota Factory bumper in history, always thought they make them look like they had a fat lip
Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 PM

flashlight holder

Subscribed.

I hadn't seen the Maglite holder before now but just bought one on Amazon after seeing yours. Can't wait to see what you do with this truck. I have a '97 DD that is stock. Since I got rear ended a year ago i'm basically driving it for free. Someday I hope to turn it into a crawler.

JC

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
While I was waiting for the Turbo 4Runner to sell I started with some easy stuff. I removed the running boards, trimmed the rear mud flaps and had the front windows tinted. I also installed some Weathertech floormats; they are awesome!

A nice flashlight is a must have on the trail. In the last 4Runner I had it mounted in the rear cargo area which was hard to access when you needed it. For this 4Runner I mounted it on the driver seat, which is easy to get to and 100% out of the way.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Wooo!! Lux 2! Finally get to see what your gonna be buildin next. Congrats on sellin the Turbo Runner. Cant wait to see where this one goes!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by YOTAZOMBIE
What exactly prevented you from getting a new optima?
'
I've heard the quality has gone downhill since they sold the company and moved the plant to Mexico, I also heard they made some design changes. All of this is just reseach I did on the internet, so I don't know all the facts. The Red Top I had in the last 4Runner was awesome, but it was a older unit.

I've always heard good things about Odyssey batterys, and the Sears warranty is great (and easy)! I figured it was worth a shot.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses...Especially to see what you come up with to replace the ugliest Toyota Factory bumper in history, always thought they make them look like they had a fat lip
Yeah, that front bumper has to go!

I plan on building something close to what I built for the Turbo 4Runner, but I need to get the drivetrain/wheels/tires installed before I can start. That way everything clears, flows and looks good.

For reference:

Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Wooo!! Lux 2! Finally get to see what your gonna be buildin next. Congrats on sellin the Turbo Runner. Cant wait to see where this one goes!
Yep, Lux 2! Thanks, it should be a fun project! The Turbo 4Runner went to a cool guy in Colorado Springs, I'm sure it's out camping as I write this!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Awesome! Congrats on the new runner, I cant wait to follow this build like I did the last, you work is always impressive
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM

I've heard the quality has gone downhill since they sold the company and moved the plant to Mexico, I also heard they made some design changes. All of this is just reseach I did on the internet, so I don't know all the facts. The Red Top I had in the last 4Runner was awesome, but it was a older unit.

I've always heard good things about Odyssey batterys, and the Sears warranty is great (and easy)! I figured it was worth a shot.
I run a brand new Red Top. Its got only 3 months on it. I havn't had any problems with it. The truck has been sitting in the yard, not running, and I use the stereo for partys we throw. I havn't yet had to charge it and we have thrown 4 or 5 partys that last 8 to 10 hours of straight music. But thats just the stereo. I dont have lights, winch, or any other accessories (yet anyway lol). I warrantied the red top once already at Auto Zone and they just swapped it over no questions asked.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been looking forward to this thread for a while; I'm tuned in! I'm excited to see it how it comes together.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Can't wait to see this thing on the trail!!! Nice choice to start a new build. Nice floormats I love my Weathertech's as well.

I want a ride in it at the Jambo, never ridden in a 5VZ with an SC.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have also heard poor quality with optima battery but heard awesome things about the die hard platinum which is just a relabeled Odyssey. im currently running a factory toyota battery from a used car that failed a battery test. i was able to bring it back to life lol. passes the battery test for now. i always carry a jump back so i dont really worry about it for now. once it dies i will be sure to pick up the same battery, Die Hard Platinum
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Oh snap this should be a good thread!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM

Yep, Lux 2! Thanks, it should be a fun project! The Turbo 4Runner went to a cool guy in Colorado Springs, I'm sure it's out camping as I write this!
You are correct sir, camping it was! had it out 2x camping already and thinking about heading out to Eagle Rock or Longwater Gulch this weekend. Good luck with the new build i'll keep an eye on it in case you pinch off any new ideas that might be win for the turbo 4runner
Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by graduatedpine
Awesome! Congrats on the new runner, I cant wait to follow this build like I did the last, you work is always impressive
Originally Posted by Zelephant
Been looking forward to this thread for a while; I'm tuned in! I'm excited to see it how it comes together.
Originally Posted by adrenalinepirate
Oh snap this should be a good thread!
Thanks guys! It should be a fun project, and a super comfortable rig! It's been a slow start, I've never built an IFS rig so I've been doing tons of research and figuring out what I what to do.

I now have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do, and have started ordering parts. My goal is to have the 4Runner "wheelable" in time for the Colorado Toyota Jamboree.

Link: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...h-31st-230427/

This event is at the end of July, which does not give me much time. I know the 4Runner will not be completed by then, but it would be nice to run a couple easy trails and hangout. I could do that in stock form, but I would also like to have a good chunk of the work completed by this fall. That means I need to work on some of the bigger projects right away. The engine and supercharger are at the top of the list.

The following is what I would like to have completed before the Jambo:
-Suspension
-Gearing
-Wheels and Tires

All of this stuff goes hand in hand, and I can't really do one without the other. Some of the stuff I need is a month (or more) out, so I will need to take advantage of my time the best way possible without rushing. I plan on keeping this rig for a long time, so I'm not going to cut corners. If I don't make it theres always next year, but I'm sure going to try!

Last edited by DIRTCO; 06-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
I run a brand new Red Top. Its got only 3 months on it. I havn't had any problems with it. The truck has been sitting in the yard, not running, and I use the stereo for partys we throw. I havn't yet had to charge it and we have thrown 4 or 5 partys that last 8 to 10 hours of straight music. But thats just the stereo. I dont have lights, winch, or any other accessories (yet anyway lol). I warrantied the red top once already at Auto Zone and they just swapped it over no questions asked.
I was very happy with my old Optima Red Top, it's the best battery I've ever had! But it seems that the quality is not what it used to be, I didn't feel like gambling with $200. I'm glad that you've had good luck with yours!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i have also heard poor quality with optima battery but heard awesome things about the die hard platinum which is just a relabeled Odyssey. im currently running a factory toyota battery from a used car that failed a battery test. i was able to bring it back to life lol. passes the battery test for now. i always carry a jump back so i dont really worry about it for now. once it dies i will be sure to pick up the same battery, Die Hard Platinum
I'll keep everyone updated on the Platinum, I just need to install a winch, lights, etc
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I was very happy with my old Optima Red Top, it's the best battery I've ever had! But it seems that the quality is not what it used to be, I didn't feel like gambling with $200. I'm glad that you've had good luck with yours!
I understand your thinking on not taking a gamble on it lol. Thats how I felt when I upgraded from the Walmart battery. I look forward to seein the new rig at the Jambo this year!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Can't wait to see this thing on the trail!!! Nice choice to start a new build. Nice floormats I love my Weathertech's as well.

I want a ride in it at the Jambo, never ridden in a 5VZ with an SC.
Yeah, the Weathertech's are great!

As long as everything falls into place I'll be there. There's plenty of backroads around the campsite to give the SC a work out! Just a warning, you will be hooked right away, and you will never look at your 22RE the same way.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by sevenphoenix
You are correct sir, camping it was! had it out 2x camping already and thinking about heading out to Eagle Rock or Longwater Gulch this weekend. Good luck with the new build i'll keep an eye on it in case you pinch off any new ideas that might be win for the turbo 4runner
I knew it! It's great to see that the 4Runner is still in Colorado and being used the way it should.

You should try to make it out to Jambo, it's always a great time!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread