Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Brutus! 1997 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple new items

Got a receiver with Clevis so I can get pulled out from the rear if needed.

I also picked this up last night. One step closer to rear locker awesomeness!!!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Though it has been a bit since my last update I have been doing stuff with the 4Runner

Made a trip to MT a few weekends back and picked up my E-locker from the axle I had stored there for many years (pics to come).

I picked up some LEDs from Superbrightleds.com to do the inside swap out but realized I need more of them to get all the buttons/gauge complete. Decided on the green/white combo. Once I have it all done will post some pics.

I also ordered the E-locker switch and ECU from Ebay and have recieved those as well as a some new leads to do the gauge light and speed/2wd mod. My goal is to install this as factory as possible.

As well I picked up a Y adapter and the mini adapter so I can hook up both antennas at the radio (will get that done this weekend).

I wasn't totally happy with the 90' and cable setup for my CB so I picked up a Firestick cable that has a banjo style fitting which I feel works/looks way better with the CBI mount. I also picked up a spring and quick disconnect and am happy with the application .

New sticker on the truck

Nice and clean looking!

Much better
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Making progress!!

Started on the wiring for the E-locker. Got the wiring from the switch to the ECU done (still need to wire from the ECU to the indicator light). Will be working on the wiring from the ECU to the E-Locker harness (already have it from when I bought the E-locker many years ago) sometime this week or this coming weekend.

BTW, anyone know the part number for the little black bulb holder in the instrument cluster, mine is missing the one for the locked indicator.

I also spent some dough!!

I ordered my 1" body lift and Poly bushings from 4Crawler (this will be the 3rd kit I have ordered from him, always happy with his product).

I also ordered some HD-SKO sliders from Stubbs Welding.

Next payday I will be picking up the Lotus RCAMS so they will be protected as well as getting the last of the LED lights I need to finish the interior swap out.

Last edited by Webbuff; 08-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Are you going to press the hubs into your current spindles or drop the abs if you can't find a manual hub w/abs?
(I'm going somewhere with this)
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Heya Hab

Been watching your thread for some time so cool to see you post in mine

Plan for the manual hubs is on the back burner for now. Wife is going to go to school early next year so I have to limit the projects I will do till after she is complete (4 month program so not for long). We will be living on my income solely for that time so have to be more budget minded .

My plan though was to press in my existing hubs to keep the ABS. Ultimately i wanna do the free floating rear conversion which I will lose ABS with, but for now will keep it intact hehe.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Totally understand budget and fund lack thereof!

Why not? I'll be returning to the original spindles and abs when the wheel bearings need replacing. Did I mention lack of funds? Our speedos run on the abs, but there's a way to get your speedo back. I'll have to watch for your rear conversion on down the road, if and whenever it happens. Sounds very interesting.

Cool to hear somebody's looking through that thread o' mine.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Wow good to know

Yeah it is the FROR full float conversion. To do it I would want Supra calipers which I hear are a hard find so may look at alternatives. The goal is the keep the emergency brake. I live in Seattle and have to park on steep hills occasionally so want to have that for safety heh.

Your thread has such great info, I love reading it and Dirtco's for ideas hehe
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM

A couple pics of the E-locker harness thus far and the rocker switch I will be using to turn off the antenna. Have a club activity on Saturday so will likely be getting the installation done on Sunday.

This is everything from the light indicator, the add a fuses, and the switch to the ECU.

Left room for something else down the road, whatever that may be hehe
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Got some more progress done on the 4Runner, as well as a couple questions

On the Locker the plug for the larger of the 2 pictured below is broken on one corner, anyone happen to know the part number to replace it with?

Also, I have the factory wiring harness that connects to the Locker. It has a couple brackets and a breathing tube on it for physical attachment. Would someone have pictures of where these are connected to as well as if I should extend it some if I plan to lift?

My ECU didn't have a bracket to mount it in the factory style so I used some body mounting tape.

Which I placed here..

While I was all in the dash I also moved all the switches from the arm rest area to the driver side (cables were just long enough) in preparation of installing the 2 cup holder from the 00 to 02s.

The little rocker is to shut off the power antenna when wheeling as well I combined the rear side window antenna with the power one so I get increased reception from both or reception from the rear when the front is left down

Got word my sliders are shipping today so should hopefully have those in weekend after next (depending on when I get the body lift in and installed).
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM

I still need to wire from the ECU to the E-locker harness, which I will likely knock out Sunday depending.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 AM

I went to a BBQ event with the Timber Tamers and the PNW4WDA this last weekend. There was a number of vehicle events such as an RTI Ramp, weight scales, teeter totter, slow drag races, and a divorce course. It was great fun hanging out the the club and playing with our vehicles.

Here I am on the RTI ramp. My score was in the 400s, but the winner had over 1000 hah.

Here is a vid of me failing on the teeter totter lol.
https://flic.kr/p/oGo7Te

Last edited by Webbuff; 08-12-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Oh yeah! Can't wait to get them in!!

Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Sliders

4Crawler 1" Body Lift w/Poly Body Bushings.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Builds looking good so far!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM

THanks Logan

Took it out last weekend to Naches Trail Turned out the west side was super mucky so not having a locker posed some challenges. Had to be strapped through a few spots but otherwise did pretty well.

Transmission did have a little issue near the end of the trip after sitting on a hill climb for a while. Letting sit a little cured it and the fluid still looked pink with a quick check.

Will need to do a level check on the tranny fluid before driving it again to ensure it is full. Hate doing it tho as the dipstick is a PITA to get back in.

Got a couple dents out of the deal as well as a super muddy truck!

Pics also show the body lift install in progress (1").

One issue, as I arrived at the trail I notices an oil ring in the rear passenger wheel well while I was airing down (went to 12 PSI due to the muck) which would mean my axle seal is toast.

I also found that the diff breather extension just loops over the cross-member and has nothing on the end if it, which may have contributed to the problem lol. Will fix this on the new housing.

Fortunately I had already planned to swap the housings to get the E-locker in, but this means I also need to endure the cost to replace the bearings, etc.

My problem will stem from the lack of a press or the SST tool (or ability to fab something similar).

Anyone in the Seattle (or nearby) happen to have the SST tool or a facsimile of it I could borrow heh?

Should have the money for the parts by mid-September.

In the meantime, I ordered the rest of the interior LEDs I needed, and a radiator drop bracket as I had to remove the lower shroud to keep the fan blade from wacking it.

Last edited by Webbuff; 08-27-2014 at 08:17 AM.