Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'99 4runner "Overlander" build coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '99 4runner "Overlander" build coming soon.

Got banned on T4R.org, now we're here

i bought a '99 4runner SR5 4wd 3.4 off a guy from my complex. he's like going back to canada so he hesitantly agreed to sell with a ton of uninstalled parts. i gave him $1700 for the 4runner because it has frame damage or something like that and it has 300,869 km's(so like 187k miles i think). and these are the parts i got from him. paid extra $6600 for the parts.

-winch bumper (arb)
-tacoma snorkel (safari snorkel)
-sliders with kickout (savage offroad)
-winch (smittybilt X2O synthetic 10k)
-rear bumper with tire swing-out (irbis)
-lockers (arb)(i thingk 1 front+1 rear)
-baja rack "the long one"
-twin compressor (arb)
-bunch of lights i think hella,
-cheap cb with firestick,
-universal breather (arb)
-supercharger and parts (trd)
-catback exhaust (trd)
-rooftop tent (tepui)
-miscellaneous (belts, filters, bushing kit, UCAs, LCAs, boots, etc.)
-------------Already Installed ---------------
-4 x BFG T/A tires (+1 for tire carrier) so 5 total.
-Toytec lift kit

I got mono so my plans for the build are on hold but all parts are ready and i'm ready to hit the ground running.

and please do give me some tips, tricks and other mods since im new to modifying truck's/suv's
Old 06-14-2015, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Mono and ban? Dude!

So I guess once you get going you're going to pay attention to the truck's condition first and foremost? Figure out the frame damage, fluids, maintenance, possibly timing belt, tranny oil cooler if auto and all that?

As far as other mods it seems you'll have your hands full for awhile...what are your plans for this thing. Daily driver, dedicated fun mobile, something for everything?

And also, pics. It's fun to look back sometimes. Looks like you're set for one heck of an adventure in maintenance and mods.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by habanero
Mono and ban? Dude!

So I guess once you get going you're going to pay attention to the truck's condition first and foremost? Figure out the frame damage, fluids, maintenance, possibly timing belt, tranny oil cooler if auto and all that?

As far as other mods it seems you'll have your hands full for awhile...what are your plans for this thing. Daily driver, dedicated fun mobile, something for everything?

And also, pics. It's fun to look back sometimes. Looks like you're set for one heck of an adventure in maintenance and mods.
ya it is going to be an adventure. especially since i never worked on anything other than subarus plus i kept my LC stock.

i did like a complete engine flush/belts changed/inspected(buddy is appraiser for farmers insurance) and nothing wrong even though it says it has "frame damage". its simple and mechanically perfect(in my opinion)

as far as time goes, i got a whole summer. my brother has a film/photography business (hired by like big magazines to go get images) and most places he goes is wilderness. he did a similar amount of mods on his LC 200, hurrying obviously, and finished in 3 week almost non stop. so im thinking itll take me 5 weeks to do in time for a couple of trips "interning" with him. aswell as looking for inspiration from guys on the forums(yes,you too). and the pics will come. im almost out of the woods with the illness so build/ photos will hopefully start Saturday, 06-27-2015. right now im trying to map everything out.

tune in for the build.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Will do. Any inspiration from me would involve baling wire and bubble gum....maybe even get fancy with some duct tape. Good to hear the frame is, well, good.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Ahhh finally back. I forgot I had this profile but I found it know so I probably need to do an update. Well the 4runner has a friend now, a 2008 4runner limited that I might also do some mods too but its my DD so not right now. Last time I left with this list of parts to do. Well here's what ended up being done vs. what was traded off or sold.

the list-
--------------------------------------------
-winch bumper (arb)- first thing that was done
-tacoma snorkel (safari snorkel)- sold
-sliders with kickout (savage offroad)- laying around
-winch (smittybilt X2O synthetic 10k)- √√√√√√√
-rear bumper with tire swing-out (irbis)- sold and bought Hitchgate tire carrier of Craigs.
-lockers (arb)(i thingk 1 front+1 rear)- Installed with 4.88 gears
-baja rack "the long one"- sold and got Thule snowpack 6 on there now
-twin compressor (arb)- installed
-bunch of lights i think hella- sold all 8 and had a cree light bar lying around.
-cheap cb with firestick- waiting to be installed
-universal breather (arb)- yup
-supercharger and parts (trd)- so trashed that it was unusable but traded for a ARB recovery kit,Airraid intake with a Airraid M.I.T. and a couple cold ones around the fire.
-catback exhaust (trd)- still got it also headers(Doug Thorley Tri-Y)
-rooftop tent (tepui)-still got it, never used it.
-miscellaneous (belts, filters, bushing kit, UCAs, LCAs, boots, etc.)- All maint. done from water pump to fuel pump and everything in between.
-------------Already Installed ---------------
-4 x BFG T/A tires (+1 for tire carrier) so 5 total.- jumping up to 315/75/r16 around May.
-Toytec lift kit- probably will stay here.

also bought some Raceline RT51 Daytona Steel Beadlocks of a buddy who one a new "EXPENSIVE" set.

Well thats it, now time came to get back into any hobby so I'm back and I'm finally going to finish this thing. I Have it for a tranny flush today and pictures of the current state of the truck will most likely be up in the later part of tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 PM

thats going to be a sweet setup, post up some pics when you get a chance!