Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Your sunroof expertise, please.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your sunroof expertise, please.

Let me start with this, I don't want to hear "buy another truck." That's not what I am asking. I am asking about sunroof install compatibility, not practicality.

I have a 99 4Runner that did not come with a sunroof. I have a buddy who just parted out a 99 Limited, and he cut off half of the roof for me. He gave me the headliner, sunroof, roof clip, motor, every single thing aside from the roof console with the switches, for absolutely nothing. Free.

Well, I look around and see a lot of people talking about cost. I am sure some of it must be for parts, so at least I have that covered. All OEM, no aftermarket crap.

I work for Mercedes-Benz in Newport Beach. We have the largest body shop facility in the United states. My friend is one of the guys. He has done sunroof installs, etc. The great thing about it is, that I just pay him what he would make for a job, rather than have to pay the dealership. Made my last bodyshop bill $500 rather than $2000.

So here's my question, since I have all of these sunroof parts. I want to swap them in. I know there are two roof panels, one for sunroof and one for without. The one I got has mounts and such for a sunroof. Is there any possible way of getting away with installing the sunroof in a non equipped vehicle without entirely swapping the panel? I see many install aftermarket sunroofs, which require no repainting of the roof. I understand that this will be costly, and I know it will not be practical, but I am not interested in buying another 4Runner, again. The clip I have definitely has some parts around the sunroof glass area that look like they can be rewelded to another roof. I am not sure if the bolts that hold the whole track assembly in are there in the non equipped model, for I haven't taken off the headliner to look yet.

If not, I guess I will have to go ahead and swap the panels. Can anyone provide me with any advice and/or instructions for this install on a 3rd gen 4Runner?

I will be keeping costs down by paying the tech directly, doing my own headliner removal and such, basically everything that isn't preparing the roof to accept a sunroof, I will do. I plan to aid during the installation process. I would like to keep costs within a $500 range, but will go more if need be.

Thanks for your time. This is easily the best forum for this kind of information and I'm happy to be here asking.

Roof clip is on the side of the house, no pic sorry.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM

I just took a look. The clip I have shows that the actual beams above the doors should have the track mounting holes. My only thing I'd have to change is the panel above, which is spot welded on. It literally looks bolt on afterwards, this could be easier than I thought! The design of the roof allows leaking into the track but then straight out of the drainage pipes.

I'm gonna go down to work tomorrow and ask my friend if he can cut out the actual sunroof portion in the clip and just cut and swap into my current roof. It will require paint work but oh well. I'm ready.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 PM

I know what you're asking but I don't quite have the answer for you. It seems like most people try to stay away from mods/installs like this cus they tend to end up a nightmare. Thus, the reason why you probably can't find much info on this. I've never heard of or seen anyone on the boards do the swap but it's not to say it's never been done. Good luck with your swap, I hope it goes well for you. All I can say is be very detailed and take your time with this. It def. makes it easier to have the space, tools, and someone with a history in the type of install.

Last edited by JWaldz; 04-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is going to be a very extensive mod for sure. Also remember that the drain lines (there are two) run all the way back to the rear of the vehicle, if you have the opportunity I would check out the install of the hardware in a wrecked 4runner if you can. I have had my headliner out several times on various installs on my truck including a overhead DVD install as well as modified rear dual dome lights. I needed several cross member supports in order to install the dome lights and install of the DVD player so it would be supported properly. The roof panel and supports are a bit different as the you are surely aware as the roof panel slides back into the headliner, thus the different headliners. Very good luck.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-21-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Went down to the shop yesterday. The plan is, a customs shop here is going to do the metal work for me, which means cutting the roof and clip and swapping. Then, they'll pass it on to my friend at my dealership who will smooth out the roof and prepare it for paint, where I'll take it to my painter who will match it.

Good stuff. The bill for the metal work will be $500. The rest will probably equal about the same, so I'm going to save up at least $1,000 before I start my project. The flares I had sold for $260, my old 3.91 diff for $100, and my current shocks and coils (after I find replacements) will give me $500 from a buddy. Since the new front shocks and springs will be about $400, the $100 is left. Gives me $460 there, plus saving and such... it might take a while but it will be cool.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone can pull it off- C of B- it will be you.

Are you absolutely sure though that when you add in the factory switch it will be pre-wired up to the roof and so on? Seems to me that would be a bit complicated if not.

Not at all trying to rain on the parade sir-but it just seems to me that an aftermarket sun roof could look just as good and be a lot less complicated and with the work guaranteed by 'experts' who do this type of thing all the time.

Selling the free stuff you acquired would go a long way towards that cost.

Eager to see how this develops.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM

one thing. Are you tall? Cause it will eat up a bit of headroom. Good luck
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm new to the auto collision industry, but here's a scenario that I recently helped with...

At the shop I work at we had a rolled (not very bad) 2007 Camry that ended up getting a new roof put in. It had a sunroof as well which complicated it slightly. Basically, we drilled out the spot welds under the drip rails and it popped out pretty easily. This required taking out the windshield and back glass (you'll probably only have to take your hatch off and remove your windshield). The roof reinforcements had to be replaced on this job, maybe not on yours but you'll need to align everything properly for the sunroof. As for the install of the roof skin, test fit it and make sure everything is in the correct place and the roof reinforcements are where they need to be, then it's a matter of applying the correct autobody adhesive along the sides and front, clamp in place to ensure a good bond, and you'll probably have to do some spot welds in the corners for stability/safety.

The tech I was working with did this in about 6 hours or so, looked like a big job but as we went along it seemed pretty straight forward and not too bad. I guess you're having someone else do the actual install of the roof then? I agree though, unless you have the proper tools, materials, and shop space it's probably a bigger job than most can handle. I would have never attempted a roof repair like that in my own garage, in a well equipped shop with knowledgeable techs is another story.

Good luck, take some pics along the way and show everyone the "Children of Bodem sunroof mod".
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have looked into having one put into my 03 double cab Tacoma. There was a place here in town that has been doing these for years with all of the dealerships and custom rides. Very experienced. Anyway, its on the backburner because of funds, but it was going to cost about $1000, and that was with a new power sunroof and putting in bracing for supporting a roof rack rail system.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Roof swaps are done in the Honda world every now and then....not that hard...

post more pics
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
If anyone can pull it off- C of B- it will be you.

Are you absolutely sure though that when you add in the factory switch it will be pre-wired up to the roof and so on? Seems to me that would be a bit complicated if not.

Not at all trying to rain on the parade sir-but it just seems to me that an aftermarket sun roof could look just as good and be a lot less complicated and with the work guaranteed by 'experts' who do this type of thing all the time.

Selling the free stuff you acquired would go a long way towards that cost.

Eager to see how this develops.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about the aftermarket stuff. I just really dislike aftermarket. I try to do everything I can OEM, and well, if I've already got the OEM parts, I'm inclined to do it the OEM way.

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
one thing. Are you tall? Cause it will eat up a bit of headroom. Good luck
Yeah, I am about 6 feet tall. I have been in a few sunroofed 4Runners, I do agree on the headroom loss, however, it's not to the point of discomfort. It is certainly different.

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
I'm new to the auto collision industry, but here's a scenario that I recently helped with...

At the shop I work at we had a rolled (not very bad) 2007 Camry that ended up getting a new roof put in. It had a sunroof as well which complicated it slightly. Basically, we drilled out the spot welds under the drip rails and it popped out pretty easily. This required taking out the windshield and back glass (you'll probably only have to take your hatch off and remove your windshield). The roof reinforcements had to be replaced on this job, maybe not on yours but you'll need to align everything properly for the sunroof. As for the install of the roof skin, test fit it and make sure everything is in the correct place and the roof reinforcements are where they need to be, then it's a matter of applying the correct autobody adhesive along the sides and front, clamp in place to ensure a good bond, and you'll probably have to do some spot welds in the corners for stability/safety.

The tech I was working with did this in about 6 hours or so, looked like a big job but as we went along it seemed pretty straight forward and not too bad. I guess you're having someone else do the actual install of the roof then? I agree though, unless you have the proper tools, materials, and shop space it's probably a bigger job than most can handle. I would have never attempted a roof repair like that in my own garage, in a well equipped shop with knowledgeable techs is another story.

Good luck, take some pics along the way and show everyone the "Children of Bodem sunroof mod".
I know your pain, brother. I have a 92 pickup that I just did a core support swap with a 95 4Runner. The spot welds for the 4Runner roof are just about mid roof, and then the windshield, etc. It's a lot of work doing it that way, and I would love nothing more than to do it. The only problem is, the roof skin I got is not long enough down the A pillars. Even if I did get a new roof skin, then I would still have to remove the windshield, all of the door seals, etc, and then the labor cost on all of the work would just be beyond me.

I hope it works out the way I plan to do it, however, if it does not, I will just have to suck it up and do it the right way, like you've just described.

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
I have looked into having one put into my 03 double cab Tacoma. There was a place here in town that has been doing these for years with all of the dealerships and custom rides. Very experienced. Anyway, its on the backburner because of funds, but it was going to cost about $1000, and that was with a new power sunroof and putting in bracing for supporting a roof rack rail system.
That's a fantastic price! I wonder how they do it while still keeping such a reasonable price range?

Originally Posted by Outsane
Roof swaps are done in the Honda world every now and then....not that hard...

post more pics
There will be way too many pics, because I always do it that way

However, seems I'll be putting this on the backburner as well. I am fine with letting the sunroof sit for a while, I still have plans of gathering parts for a turbo setup on my 3RZ, as well as a few other big things.