Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Your expierience buying new Toyota's - re: Customization

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your expierience buying new Toyota's - re: Customization

We all know Toyota up until probably when the Tundra comes out and they really start seriously competing in the realm of full size trucks in '07, that customization has never been Toyota's bag, at least relative to other truck manufacturers. Generally Toyota prefers to offer packages based on probably market research as to what most people would prefer/buy and thus they keep things somewhat simple too. We can see this with their cars, and we can see this with the new Tacoma even to some extent. However you can see hints with the Tundra now, and even the Tacoma, that they are on the verge of moving towards letting you customize your own truck more and more. Just subtle things. This I feel is something they have to do if they ever want to seriously take a stab at Ford, Chevy, and Dodge sales numbers.

Having said that, I am curious about your buying expierience with Toyota.
Up here in Canada for the 2005 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab V6 there are 3 packages. The base package, which is essentially the base stock truck, the SR5 power package, which is essentially all the luxury type items such as keyless entry, cruise control, power everything, fancy seats with lumbar support, chrome grille and bumper, colour keyed fender flares, etc, and then there's the offroad package. The TRD offroad package is basically the SR5 power package plus Rear locking diff, front and transfer case skid plates, BFG Rugged trail tires, Bilstein shocks, Bed power outlet (115V), etc.

The base with taxes, freight,etc. included, is about $34000 CDN, the SR5 power package is about $37000 CDN and the Offroad package comes out to about $40,000 CDN.

Now between you and me, I would like the offroad package, but I don't want the SR5 power package. I don't care for cruise control, power mirrors, power doors, and power windows, and I don't know why the offroad package has to include the SR5 power package. I want a truck that has the foundation to do well offroad, as well as to work with later with some mods and what not. Essentially all I really would want over the base package is the chrome grill, coloyr keyed fender flares, rear locking diff, bilstein shocks, and BFG All Terrains, and maybe the Power Outlet from the bed. The drive train and transmission as is are solid, and the fact it has base A/C is all the comfort I could ever ask for. But my question is do you think Toyota would work with me in letting me order these items as opposed to a package? Wait isn't an issue. If I bought it probably wouldn't be for like a year anyways. What is your expiereince ordering custom/individual items from Toyota? Are there any cost issues with this?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 11-18-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last Toyota I bought new, I had full control over the options I got. As it were, I opted for only three: power steering ($110), oversize side mirrors ($56), and a rear bumper (free). This was in 1984

Last edited by toy283; 11-18-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can try ordering a special order taco but i'm not sure if the dealer will be able to order you one the way you want it since it's not normally accepted. I'd check w/ the dealer (a few of them as some might not even want to bother) and see what they can do. I've seen some owners request specific options that just would not work but was able to special order so go figure.

good luck