Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

York OBA on a 3rz with A/C

Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York OBA on a 3rz with A/C

This is my first write up so ill try my best. This is going to be a few weeks or a month before its done but I will add as many pictures as I can as well as a simple autocad drawing of the final bracket that way the next person wont have to go through as much trouble as I did.

Expenses:
York 210 A/C: $25
3/8" air hose 25': $25
Gauge: $ 8
Pulleys: $ 7
2'x2' 1/4" steel plate: $27

I started to look into this after I went out wheeling out in the Rocky's aired down and after we were done I had a small 12v outlet tire inflater which took us about 2 hours for me and a buddy of mine to fill up our tires back up to regular pressure. I looked into buying a viar pump but they were pricey and well not as good as the york for pumping out air.
So after some research I went to the local junk yard and found a few yorks as well as rv2 compressors but I figured there was no way in hell to fit the rv2 in the small space I had in the engine compartment so I went with the york.

I did the oil mod to the york where I forgot to snap a picture of all that but theres a really good write up about it at
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html

The next step was figuring out the bracket and where I was going to put the vbelt pulley to power the york. After some trips to the junk yard and brainstorming I noticed the abundance of 80's to early 90's 4 runners which had a vbelt pulley on the fan pulley.

What I did was cut the inside out with a torch and grinded it down to remove all the steel in order to center the pulley as perfect as I can (no pic phone had died) so that I may weld the pulley together with the fan pulley because if you just try to put it he way it goes the power steering belt is in the way.

As you can see the white square is where the pulley would be at and it overlaps the power steering belt.

So thats what the finish product looks like well for the pulley part which in my opinion was the hardest part to figure out but in the end turned out to be the easiest.

In about a week ill post the info on the bracket after I install it and check for clearance as well as any tweaks ill have to make to it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe there is a thread on the Marlin forum that shows how to put a serp belt on the York so that it can be driven directly from the crank. Not sure if that interest you, just FYI.

And Kilby offers a serp pulley. It's a H**p oriented company so beware....

Last edited by rokblok; 11-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM

never saw that thread on marlin but i searched for 3 months trying to figure the pulley out. this seems like the cheapest so far. Thank you for the info on that
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your option is definitely the cheapest route I have seen. I am pretty sure about the Marlin thread, because I remember Marlin telling them that an older Chrysler equipped with the York came factory with a serp. I may just be crazy and remembering something totally unrelated...

I was just wondering how the compressor will do getting driven by water pump essentially. I don't know what kind of start up pressures it requires. Again, it's just a thought. Keep up the great work, because I have a 3RZ and the A/C compressor area is empty and begging for a York....
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM

well our engine gots a timing chain so the water pump is driven by the crankshaft but i know what you mean, I saw some kits for the 3.4 that were using the same pulley for the vbelt to the york so that kinda reassured me that it can handle it.

I got the day off today and tomorrow so hopefully tomorrow ill post the update on how the bracket went.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update? im trying to do the same thing with my 3rs.... going to weld a vbelt pully to the crankshaft pully, then mount the york were the coils currently are
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM

[IMG][/IMG]. I almost finished mine but I would like to know how you went about doing it
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Did either of you two guys get your installs finished up?
Drkblu, what did you do with the coils?

Any more pictures?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 AM

i have been done for awehile now moved coils to york support brake see pic