Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wrong way to install strut assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong way to install strut assembly?

I got a new assembly install recently, at a local shop. I was wondering if there is a wrong way to install the shocks and springs in the front. Is there a certain way the springs should sit in the shock? The reason I ask is after numerous alignments my runner still pulls to the left, and I noticed that on the passenger side, where the coil stops is facing the front, and on the drivers side its facing the rear. Does that make any sense?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM

I am getting ready to change mine out as well. Not sure if the spring needs to be turned but check your air pressure to see if that tire is a little low. Seems stupid but a low tire can pull you one way or the other. My other question might be does it pull during driving or during braking? Take your rig to a level parking lot and try driving it with out your hands on the wheel to see if it still pulls. Most roads are not flat.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I had mine aligned after the lift thinking I was doing good. I wasn't. My 4runner drove straight as an arrow before the alignment and now drifts to the right. I took it back to the alignment place 4 times to have them fix it. 4 times they couldn't. It turns out all they were doing was aligning the truck to factory specs and not adjusting for any pull that occurs with it aligned to those specs. For whatever reason they couldn't figure it out, possibly their alignment equipment wasn't calibrated correctly or possible half-ass mount to the rim. I took it to a hole-in-the-wall, but very reputable alignment shop and the guy aligned it, drove it, adjusted it, drove it, fine tuned it, drove it, and fine tuned it some more. Now it drives straight as an arrow.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 AM

thanks guys. Anyone have anymore input on this?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:40 AM

FunnY - sitting at the dealership right now and getting it aligned after 3 tries at my usual alignment shop. They are usually good but I kept getting the vehicle back with a pull to the left. The last time when I wanted the before and after printouts, the printer was not working.

Just talking withe the tech here and the alignment was way out of spec. Took a look myself and it was true as hell. I do not know how these guys can feel good charging for these half assed alignments and shame on us for putting up with it.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

The coilover should not be able to affect the direction of the tire or the movement of the vehicle. All the coil and shock do is suspend the vehicle.
I guess if one side was giving more lift than the other it could affect a pulling on the vehicle...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM

How the coil is rotated should not impact the aligment.

however a few questions might shed some light on this:
1) what shock did they install (Bilsteins can be installed with the "cup" wrong up and lift the vehicle an 1 or more see a recent thread). Not sure whether you just got the KYB

2) did they switch up driver and passenger side coil (they are different length due to gas tank and more)

or maybe it is just a ☺☺☺☺ty alignment job.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I hate to say this, but you may need to take the 4runner to another shop or to the dealer. Sounds like the mechanic that you are using isn't able to give you anymore help. I live in dallas, so I don't know of any reputable mechanics in kentucky. Maybe some of the other members on this board can give you recommendations.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the same problem with alignement shops out east. They always align to stock specs. Here in AZ just about everybody and their mother drive lifted vehicles. What you want to do is find a shop that will align a vehicle with "altered" suspension. The guy at my local Big O tires did a great job... lucky for me.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Roadtrip, I have the KYB monomaxs, not sure if that means anything.
For the 99 springs, which color code goes on which side? I'm pretty sure I have the pink on the drivers side. Yeah, I got my original alignment done at Big O, but it pulled exactly the same afterwards. I'm gonna take it back up there and have them drive it. That, or just get my money back and go elsewhere if they can't fix it.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I am not familiar with KYBs setup, however on the Bilsteins the seat that hold the spring can be intalled upside down. This will cause a lift of the side where this was done.

Check steve schaeffers site to be sure they put the right coils on the right side.

But it probably is just a bad alignment
Old 06-10-2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
The coilover should not be able to affect the direction of the tire or the movement of the vehicle. All the coil and shock do is suspend the vehicle...
Actually...

The ride height affects the alignment of the vehicle by affecting the camber. Anyone that has ever adjusted their suspension components know that when you LOWER a vehicle, you'll have faster and excessive wear on the inside of the tires. By raising the height of the vehicle the opposite occurs. Who knows what raising just the front end will do.

Fix the suspension. Then align the truck.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

"if the car is lowered by use of shortened springs, this changes the caster angle (as described in McPherson strut) and can lead to increased tire wear and even impaired handling"
Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Let us know if you get the problem corrected. I just got my 99 springs, and I will probably order the shocks off ebay like you did. I'm getting quotes for the installation. Toyota of Irving said $500 which is way too much. I'm going to ask Toyota of Dallas since they do a lot of suspension work. If they don't give me a competitive quote, then I'll have to check with NTB or independant shops.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM

I don't know, but I think I'm going to try it myself. $500 is that just for the fronts?