Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wrecked My Truck Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked My Truck Last Night

Well it was a snowy bad night last night. And I was out driving, going to go get gas actually. Well what happened was when I was driving out of nowhere my back end of my truck was launched into the air, then the front. Then the front end was smashed into the ground followed by the rear. I did land on my wheels but it was a hard hit. I had no idea what had happened besides the fact that my truck was launched into the air out of nowhere. Well i opened my door to find a downd powerline hung up in my truck!!!!! One end was broken and across the road, but the other end was still hooked to the top of the power pole. I guess I drove over it and it hung up, and then when I pulled it taut it basically pendulum swung my truck up into the air. It landed on all of its wheels. It was one heck of a ride, scared the hell out of me. I hope my frame is not bent or anything. The truck seems to run fine, its just smashed up a bit. For some reason the headlights, and E-brake don't work anymore. But thats all I have noticed so far. Here are some pics.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, never heard of anything like that happening...!

Glad you're OK...and good thing the powerline wasn't live...holy crap!
Old 11-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Wow, never heard of anything like that happening...!"

Yeah, that sucks real bad... Glad you're alright... I would talk to the city about that powerline. That's terrible!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:02 AM

The city's "Risk Manager" came out and took some pics, but he said its going to be my insurance thats going to have to cover it. Which I think is BS, but I guess I will just have to let the insurance companies battle things out. I just hope I don't have to pay my deductable.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 AM

It also ripped my fender flare off, you can see it in the back of my truck in the first pic
Old 11-25-2004, 10:40 AM

bummer

Man I am so incredibly sorry to see that happened to your great looking Taco. Bummer man. And I felt bad about wrecking my truck.......my condolences go out to you.
On a lighter note, if the insurance gives you money to fix the current damage, live with the body damage, and put some money into lockers, lift, tires, and maybe a SAS.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:55 AM

Sorry to hear that. Looks like it's the ground line from the pole... no current there. Glad you weren't hurt.

The reason they want the insurance to handle it is because there is no evidence that the wire is down due to the city's neglegence. My wife once ran over a highway sign and caused some damage to my car. They said it could've been another cars fault the sign was on the ground, not Caltrans.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 AM

but he said its going to be my insurance thats going to have to cover it
Why? Ask him to show you in print where it states they are not liable when it is snowing. Its going to be more expensive than just the deductible.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Why do you say its going to be more expensive than the deductable?
thanks guys for all the kind words!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 11:49 AM

City's going to pay for that! Sorry to hear about that....Why on a beautiful truck?!
Old 11-25-2004, 11:50 AM

For one your rate will go up after making this big claim.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:48 PM
lee
Contributing Member

wow.. now thats some damage! glad to hear you're ok.

dont buy that guy's bull, one of my friends dented his rim on a pothole, got it paid for by the city... another hit a fence that had been knocked down by heavy winds and got 2 tires paid for by the city.

just stay on 'em, find out who the highest person you can talk to is, and if they dont listen, have your insurance contact them.

time to drive the M3 now, you poor baby you...
Old 11-25-2004, 05:50 PM

Yeah I do need to get on somebody's butt. I really don't think I should have to pay for it. And as for the M3, my baby doesn't see snow she is scared of it. I will keep you guys updated on what happens. Thanks again for the positive remarks
Old 11-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Is the bed on our trucks on piece, or can they just replace the passenger side? I'm no body guy but I don't think they are going to be able to repair the damage to the side...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:28 PM

WOW! that sucks ass!

i'd get the lights fixed, leave the damage to the bed, upgrade the suspension (3" at least) and go wheel'n!!!

hope it works out for ya!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:27 AM

Well I called the insurance and they are covering it under comprehensive, and it also will not raise my insurance. So thats good.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

glad you are ok!

Sorry about your truck though.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's ridiculous that they said your ins. company would have to pay for it... It was the city's fault for letting something like this happen. If they keep fighting it, I would get into some legal crap. heh heh, the case would be called M3MAN02 vs Illinois or something.. Anyway, yeah, I would really make a big fuss about this... this isn't something to just let pass. I mean, you could've been really badly injured. Ultimately, it's the city's responsibility.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

hey josh!

i think you should be going after the city, if it does get put through your insurance it could lead to problems down the road. if you have a friend or know someone who is a lawyer, give them a call and see what they say. it may cost you something but would be worth it in the long run.

lee
Old 11-26-2004, 01:47 PM

I do know someone who is a lawyer, I will have to give them a call. It does seem BS to me that its my insurance that has to pay for it. But the guy from the city keeps saying that its not our fault its an "act of god" and we can't keep track of all the power lines, bla bla bla bla. I just want my truck repaired. I was out driving it today and man as far as my uneducated eye can tell it seems fine. I mean besided the body damage it drove down the road straight and true. I had to have a friend lift up the truck and undoo the U bolts to remove the piece of wire that was jammed in the leaf springs. But other than that I figured out the headlights weren't working because BOTH headlight fuses were blown. Yes, both left and right!!! I don't know but I must have hit hard for both of them to blow. Well thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: Wrecked My Truck Last Night