P.S. I'm interested in the 5" kit only.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravencr
http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...ta_tacoma.html

Chris

Don't know about the front end, but the tacoma uses leaf springs at the rear so those parts will not fit your 4Runner as it uses coil springs

Last edited by Morr; 06-12-2004 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes!
Old 06-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...ta_tacoma.html

Chris

Go for it Chris! I don't see why it wouldn't work (I assume you mean front only).
Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not worried about the rear. I'm just concerned about the front end. I figure that I need some extra height to help me get over the bigger rocks and not hang up as much, and I'm wondering if this kit for the Tacoma's will fit the front of my 4Runner. If so, I may be going this route instead of a SAS or long travel IFS kit. I don't know yet, though, just weighing my options.

Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

From what Ive read it seems like it should work. The Procomp 4" taco lift fits the 4runner i do believe.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:57 PM

Doesn't the pro comp kit have some sort of spacers that cause it to get out of alignment pretty easily, though?

Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 09:37 PM

the only problem with it is that while you create room for bigger tires you do lose ground clearance. steve has proven that you don't need one to run 35's and you should have more ground clearance with your current set-up and 35's than with the drop set-up and 35's. I understand wanting to go bigger, 285's and 3" is starting to look really small on my 4runner.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:54 PM

As far as clearance goes, everything gets raised except for the subframe, so clearance definitely goes up. Think about it again, and you'll see what I mean.

Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yes it will fit, only the front though. Your on your own for the rear.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:57 PM

Sweet! I may be going this route, but I'm not totally for sure yet. Thanks for the confirmation Steve!

Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 11:01 PM

unless it is different than every other drop bracket lift out there which it may be, i have only seen one installed and that was on ttora and i didn't pay much attention to it you won't have much if any more ground clearance than stock except what you get from your tires. of course even with the set ups that we run now we don't gain much. but the new cross memeber bolts on to the bottom of the old stuff which provides a lower mounting position for the lower control arms which is why the taller steering knuckles are required or in the case of the pro-comp lift the spacers. again, the tough country may be different but this is the basic principle behind the drop lifts. i do agree with you that this looks like a much more sturdy lift than the pro comp and it a fair amount cheaper than the fab-tech.

i guess my reasoning behind it is, if you can fit 35's with what you have now do you really want or need the extra lift, wanting and needing it are both valid options for getting it. i mean most of the stuff i buy i don't need but i sure do want! good luck with it all, whichever direction you choose. i think that the touch country setup with some good coilovers and camburg/all pro upper control arms could make for a nice set up.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by justinh
unless it is different than every other drop bracket lift out there which it may be, i have only seen one installed and that was on ttora and i didn't pay much attention to it you won't have much if any more ground clearance than stock except what you get from your tires. of course even with the set ups that we run now we don't gain much. but the new cross memeber bolts on to the bottom of the old stuff which provides a lower mounting position for the lower control arms which is why the taller steering knuckles are required or in the case of the pro-comp lift the spacers. again, the tough country may be different but this is the basic principle behind the drop lifts. i do agree with you that this looks like a much more sturdy lift than the pro comp and it a fair amount cheaper than the fab-tech.

i guess my reasoning behind it is, if you can fit 35's with what you have now do you really want or need the extra lift, wanting and needing it are both valid options for getting it. i mean most of the stuff i buy i don't need but i sure do want! good luck with it all, whichever direction you choose. i think that the touch country setup with some good coilovers and camburg/all pro upper control arms could make for a nice set up.
Everything you've said is correct, except for the extra ground clearance gained. If you're talking about the ground clearance I'll gain underneath the front end, then I'll gain zero. But, I'm talking about the extra ground clearance I'll gain underneath the entire truck. That's what I'm talking about. I could care less about the clearance underneath the front end, because there's only one way to increase that and that's with bigger tires or a long travel IFS kit. But, as far as raising the frame up and out of the way of big rocks, a SAS or this kind of IFS kit is the only way to do it, outside of larger tires of course. Make sense?

Chris

P.S. That link you provided doesn't work for me.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

P.S. That link you provided doesn't work for me.
It worked for me, but that's not a "lift" for a truck.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
It worked for me, but that's not a "lift" for a truck.
I'll second that one! Nice pics, though.

Chris
Old 06-13-2004, 06:57 AM

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma%2...uffcountry.htm
try this one, i don't know how the other one even got in there, and i didn't find any pics on that other one. there are some wierd yahoo groups out there i didn't even know exisisted thats for sure!

and i was talking about the clearance under the front differential. if i remember correctly the tough country is actually better about this than other lifts out there, for some reason i remember reading somewhere the not all of the lift is acheived through dropping the cross member.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

from the Park's Off-Road Tough Country installation page:

" I also had looked at the Pro-Comp 4 inch lift, but the spacer they use on top of the factory spindle with u-bolts and a bracket to re-enforce the spindle does not look like a good idea. I heard horror stories about the alignment going out after every off-road trip and such and decided it was not the way to go. The Tuff Country kit comes with new heavy duty spindles to avoid this problem. The Tuff Country kit also comes with new upper ball joints installed so you dont have to worry about getting the old ones out in one piece."
Old 06-13-2004, 07:25 AM

Yep, and I can't find a better kit yet. I'm going to find out if I can get just the parts for the frontend of this lift from Tuff Country, minus the shocks, etc.

Chris
Old 06-13-2004, 07:36 AM

i am pretty sure that you can, i remember reading over on ttora about someone doing that. Good luck with it! I looked at some of the yoko's the other day, someone on campus had a set on his k5, with the open grooves towards the outer side of the tires i could see how the would work better in the mud than i originally thought. I also didn't realize how cheap they were, i saw $135 a tire for 315/75/16 somewhere on-line.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by justinh
i am pretty sure that you can, i remember reading over on ttora about someone doing that. Good luck with it! I looked at some of the yoko's the other day, someone on campus had a set on his k5, with the open grooves towards the outer side of the tires i could see how the would work better in the mud than i originally thought. I also didn't realize how cheap they were, i saw $135 a tire for 315/75/16 somewhere on-line.
Yepper, I'm going to get the Yoko's unless another tire that's better and cheaper comes out before I do it. It's not worth it to spend nearly twice as much for a tire that just looks better, and doesn't perform any better.

Chris
Old 06-13-2004, 12:52 PM

i didn't realize they are as cheap as they are, even if you had to give up some performance it would probably be worth it. with your rear locker and plans for a front locker you more than overcome anything these tires may lack. they really may be the best compromise for a rig like yours. i would hesitate to run them on my rig now being open/open but with the lockers waiting to be installed i wouldn't hesitate. reassessing what my rig needs to be (getting married July 10th, working full time and finishing school) they probably should be my next tire, whether i will get over the lack of "bling" or not is a different story good luck with yours chris.

Quick Reply: Would this fit my 1997 4wd 4Runner?