89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

With or without KC lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb With or without KC lights

I'm trying to decide if I like the KC lights on top of my roof rack or not. I need some of your help/votes if you guys/gals don't mind. If not then I will either put them on my bumper in place of where the PIAA fog lights go or on the back of the roof rack in which I want to put some lights for backing my trailer at night. These are KC highlites (pencil beam or sometimes referred to "spot lights") with 130W and puts out 3,000,000 candle power of light. The smaller lights on the roof rack are just cheapo "driving lights" from Wal-Mart and aren't worth much as far as light output goes. Here are the pics:

With KC lights
\
Without KC lights
Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks too funky with 'em up there so high. i've been thinking of the same thing (mounting them to my costco basket) and i think this picture solidified me trying to mount them where your "el-cheapo" lights are located.

jealous your garage doors are tall enough for the rack on top! (and those KC's?)...
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM

flip em around so they mount lower
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
looks too funky with 'em up there so high. i've been thinking of the same thing (mounting them to my costco basket) and i think this picture solidified me trying to mount them where your "el-cheapo" lights are located.

jealous your garage doors are tall enough for the rack on top! (and those KC's?)...
Yeah that was my argument against it. It almost looks like Mickey Mouse ears being up so high like that. As far as if they fit the garage or not, I'm not sure yet. I wanted to back up a little bit and see if they would clear but it was raining so hard I didn't even try. I may try and reverse the brackets so it would be at the bottom instead and see how I like them.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM

I know it's off subject, but how do you fit in your garage?!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
what would it look like if you flipped them 90 degrees and ran them on either side of the rack mounted on the bottom? Or like yukon said flip them over 180 degrees. How bright are those lights already up there?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM

dont put them on... they look funny bc theyre really high.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea they look kinda like mickey mouse ears. but im jealous cuz you got some KC lights, im to cheap. i would do liek the other suggestions and flip them either 90 or 180 degrees
Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Dont put em on. You should def sell them to me
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Do you work on a road crew? If so leave them up there!!

Honestly, the square light look great by themselves. The KCs are much to high in the mock up.

Why not just mount a single round light in the very center of the front of the basket? That would look pretty good. Then you could use the other light center mounted in the rear of the basket for aux back up lights.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Why do you ask esthetics questions? Especially when concerning something (that should be) utalitarian/purpose built anyways? Better questions (and perhaps only questions) should be: do *i* need them up there and do they work up there (and if so, how well)? And, i guess if YOU like them up there. But, since you asked...they look stoopid that high and will get snaged on something.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KC's on have my vote, but you should either make a simple mount, or flip them so they don't stick up too far past the top of the roof rack. Consider wiring up a relay to the switch for those KC's. I've got the 150 watt (130 maybe, I don't remember) and the switch for them gets hot if I keep them on for more than about 10 minutes. It could also be that the wiring they give you in the install kit is too small to handle the wattage for longer durations.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Flip em Sideways and mount em up on the rack like many have said before me. Even though they are used as a utility, good aesthetics is always something worth achieving. Do what makes YOU happy.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
snap them right off as soon as you back out of the garage lol
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

unbolt them from the mount and turn them upside down so that the mounting bolt is going through the top that will bring them down closer to the roof and then they will look fine like the two bottom ones on my bumper here

then if you can find a way to do flat black on your hood and the area in front of the lights on the roof it will help carry the light pattern out farther and give you less reflection off your hood back into your eyes
Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jdmaccord6
I know it's off subject, but how do you fit in your garage?!
It fits just fine. I don't have a lift or anything but the only problem I do have is if I don't bend the CB antenna down then it scrubs on the garage door. Imagine cringing in both at the noise and the angry look on your wife's face when it does hit.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
what would it look like if you flipped them 90 degrees and ran them on either side of the rack mounted on the bottom? Or like yukon said flip them over 180 degrees. How bright are those lights already up there?
I like the 90 idea, that may actually work. In my thought pattern during the night I think if I flipped the lights on the brackets then the back of the light housing will hit, making the brackets useless.

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
Why do you ask esthetics questions? Especially when concerning something (that should be) utalitarian/purpose built anyways? Better questions (and perhaps only questions) should be: do *i* need them up there and do they work up there (and if so, how well)? And, i guess if YOU like them up there. But, since you asked...they look stoopid that high and will get snaged on something.
Need them? Not really, at least not on the front. I've always like seeing offroad rigs with lights on the top. I guess it's my way of doing the same. On the rear, then yes it is necessary. The more I think about it though the KCs on the rear would be too bright to use just for backing up a trailer at night.

Originally Posted by stormin94
KC's on have my vote, but you should either make a simple mount, or flip them so they don't stick up too far past the top of the roof rack. Consider wiring up a relay to the switch for those KC's. I've got the 150 watt (130 maybe, I don't remember) and the switch for them gets hot if I keep them on for more than about 10 minutes. It could also be that the wiring they give you in the install kit is too small to handle the wattage for longer durations.
I still have the same wiring kit from when I had it on my blazer. It includes a relay, fuse, and switch so I'm good with that. Plus auto electrical is my playground at work so I have more room to play with concerning how to wire it up As far as leaving them on for long durations. I used to run them on my blazer for hours at at time when out trail riding at night. I never really had a problem with it burning the housing or the wiring, or even the switch either.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 AM

Flip em upside down
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM

I think that they would be great at the 990 on the sides preferably so you could point them forward or back! I really think they would be helpful for backing a trailer or for being able to pull in front of some one and light up the under the hood if they are broke down, or even just for helping you change a wheel front or back if you could have the ease of a quick release to swiftly be able to rotate any direction you wanted to!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM

+1 on the flip em idea
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
eh.. not a fan.. I'd think they'd glare things up for you too.

Quick Reply: With or without KC lights