Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring question..

Old 05-06-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring question.. tire carrier license lights

ok, i recently added the tire carrier to my runner, and i've been debating it in my head since i got it, as to how to power the lights for the license plate. what i've come up with is, connecting them to the driving light wire in the passenger side taillight. pretty sure the extra draw won't hurt the wires. but just want to be sure.

running the white wire to the driving light power wire, and then the black wire to the ground in the light assembly.

opionions, thoughts, objections all welcome, thx. OR if someone has the stock carrier could you let me know how toyota ran the wires so i can mimic it?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

thats probably fine...... jsut no using a 50w foglight for lighting hte license plate
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 PM

nope, just a couple lil bulbs.. my guess, 10watts for the pair. (even though one is currently burnt out.. )

thx
Old 05-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by green91runner
ok, i recently added the tire carrier to my runner, and i've been debating it in my head since i got it, as to how to power the lights for the license plate. what i've come up with is, connecting them to the driving light wire in the passenger side taillight. pretty sure the extra draw won't hurt the wires. but just want to be sure.

running the white wire to the driving light power wire, and then the black wire to the ground in the light assembly.

opionions, thoughts, objections all welcome, thx. OR if someone has the stock carrier could you let me know how toyota ran the wires so i can mimic it?
Well, since my tire carrier comes on/off, I'm going to power the additional license plate frame using a pigtail wiring harness that will plug into the trailer lighting pigtail, so if I take the tire carrier off, I can just unplug it and remove it. Wax on, wax off.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner

as far as power goes you should be ok.....I got a towing harness and hooks into those wire and powers 2 brake bulbs and 2 parking light bulbs with out any problems.....
Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 AM

Neon license plate lights. Gotta get you some. And maybe you should consider making them blink. Oh yeah. Dat would be sweet!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Well, since my tire carrier comes on/off, I'm going to power the additional license plate frame using a pigtail wiring harness that will plug into the trailer lighting pigtail, so if I take the tire carrier off, I can just unplug it and remove it. Wax on, wax off.

actually, looking at the diagram from toyota, the wiring had a plug on the end, why i dont know.. as it's not that easily removed

Originally Posted by CynicX
as far as power goes you should be ok.....I got a towing harness and hooks into those wire and powers 2 brake bulbs and 2 parking light bulbs with out any problems.....
i have the hitch package, but i'm not getting any power to those wires.. gonna have to try and figure that out... don't ya just hate previous owners..

Originally Posted by fadetoblack72
Neon license plate lights. Gotta get you some. And maybe you should consider making them blink. Oh yeah. Dat would be sweet!
haha, no thx... i'll stick with the factory lighting.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM

*bump* noone with the stock carrier got any pics then?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:53 AM

one last bump for good measure..