Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring factory fog light switch. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring factory fog light switch. Help please.

OK team,
I have my new 8-gang fuse block and relay bank installed and almost wired but I stopped short of hooking up my lighted, factory fog switch. I do not have a manual. There are three terminals on this switch, numbered 2, 3, & 4. The one marked as 3 has a copper rivet.
Can someone help me hook this up?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking From memory

Okay, this is from memory...

The top plug-in is for the ground, I know that for sure.

The one in the middle to the side is for the yellow wire off the relay and the bottom is for the green wire off the relay. This is for Hella 500s, so your wiring might look different. Some more info on what kind of lights might help us help you and some PICS!

I hope that helps!

Old 04-10-2004, 06:21 PM

Thanks. I am running new wires from scratch (if I can get the dang things through the firewall) so I do not have the yellow or green wires but knowing that the top is ground is a big help.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by goldtaco9
Thanks. I am running new wires from scratch (if I can get the dang things through the firewall) so I do not have the yellow or green wires but knowing that the top is ground is a big help.
Thanks again,
Mike
Going through the firewall is easy. On the drivers side there is a bunch of wires that run in. Just push your wires through along with them.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Going through the firewall is easy. On the drivers side there is a bunch of wires that run in. Just push your wires through along with them.
There is a big honkin' grommet with a bundle of wires to the left of the clutch master cylinder pushrod but it's packed pretty tightly and I could not get anything to go through. I will try again. Maybe I chould go from the cab out instead of from the engine bay in.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Does this help?
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ghts/corey.htm

Check out the first picture in the above write-up.

Lots of good stuff in our Tech section if you have not stopped by before.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:48 AM
Banned

Talking Getting through

There is a big honkin' grommet with a bundle of wires to the left of the clutch master cylinder pushrod but it's packed pretty tightly and I could not get anything to go through. I will try again. Maybe I chould go from the cab out instead of from the engine bay in.
Thanks,
Mike
I used a piece of plastic that used to be the straight side on a PLASTIC coat hanger. It is plastic, won't tear something up, yet firm enough to push through and stretch the area enough to get those wires through. Just push it through, look for it inside the cab, and then thread the wire you want right beside it, or in it's place. I got the coax through my grommet in this manner no problem and it is at least 3/8" in diamter, then I ran the smaller wires in the same spot.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2004, 05:12 AM

I got the wires through using the coat hanger method. The switch wired-up like Brian said. The top was ground the middle was power in and the bottom was power out. This gives me a lighted switch when the fogs are on.
These Cibie Airports are a lot brighter than I expected. I have never run fogs on my vehicles and I was surprised at the difference they make, even when it is not foggy.
Thanks team!
Mike
Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

Talking Mission Accomplished

I got the wires through using the coat hanger method. The switch wired-up like Brian said. The top was ground the middle was power in and the bottom was power out. This gives me a lighted switch when the fogs are on.
These Cibie Airports are a lot brighter than I expected. I have never run fogs on my vehicles and I was surprised at the difference they make, even when it is not foggy.
Thanks team!
Mike
I'm glad I could be of some help!

P.S. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...