Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Windshield Wiper Reservoir Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield Wiper Reservoir Replacement

I have searched here, T4R, and UltimateYota but could not find anything concerning the replacement of the reservoir. I noticed wiper fluid leaking from under my 2000 Limited Runner. I think it is a cracked reservoir but not sure since I will not be able to work on the rig until I get back to Sacramento where the temperature isn't as harsh as it is in Colorado. I take a road trip with my girlfriend to Colorado from Sacramento to visit her family alsmot every. This is the first time that it has leked wiper fluid. I did use a regular fluid rated at 32 degrees F. I am wondering why it did not crack last year since I did not change the fluid rates for -30 degrees F? Has anyone expereinced something like this and what is involved in changing the reservoir. Is it a PITA? Thanks in advance for all the advice guys.

-austin
Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will unbolt and drop down and out underneith the bumper..
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 AM

The only pita is it is kind of in an awkward area.
Has it been leaking all the time or only when you fill it up?
The reason why I ask is because mine leaks from somewhere when I overfill.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

It's not too bad to remove it but can be awkward. You should take off the black plastic liner that covers the reservoir and see where it is leaking from. I would look at...

1. The rubber tubing that goes from the reservoir to the spray heads. Maybe you have some cracked tubing.

2. The o-rings that connect the spray motors (little black cylinders on the side of the reservoir) to the reservoir.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:40 AM

Thank guys for all the input.
I just noticed it yesterday when there was a big puddle GREEN fluid on the driveway.
I know that it was not filled up all the way, so that means that there was space for the fluid to expand even when it froze.
I am hoping that it is just the 5.0L reservior since that is probably the easiest thing to replace. Correct?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM

mine leaks when it gets filled to high but does not normally
Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine leaks from the top of the filler neck. It still holds almost a full gallon still...im not too worried about it.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
The only pita is it is kind of in an awkward area.
Has it been leaking all the time or only when you fill it up?
The reason why I ask is because mine leaks from somewhere when I overfill.
It was not filled all the way to the top. But then again, I had replaced the front bumper after a minor accident and I am thinking that is the reason it is leaking now.

Originally Posted by Bighead
It's not too bad to remove it but can be awkward. You should take off the black plastic liner that covers the reservoir and see where it is leaking from. I would look at...

1. The rubber tubing that goes from the reservoir to the spray heads. Maybe you have some cracked tubing.

2. The o-rings that connect the spray motors (little black cylinders on the side of the reservoir) to the reservoir.

I will inspect it when I have more time but I really think it was the accident that messed everything up. I am getting a reservoir today from the junk yard and was seeing if there is any write up to change the reservoir.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Yep, mine spews fluid when I fill it past the base of the filler neck. It'll hold about 3/4+ of a gallon.

-Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Check also the connections. I did like you used regular fluid and headed to Utah in winter. Well a line had disconnected and let fluid drain out (probably due to freezing). The lines run along the passenger (right) side of the engine compartment). I noticed it because my rear nosle (sp) stopped working.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM

I also thought it was the connection, but as soon as I got back to CA, I tested the sprayers and they both work. The front sprayed just like normal and the rear sprayer worked as well. I am hoping that it is just the reservoir.

Is there any grommet or o-rings that connect to the front and rear pumps?
I am thinking of ordering the reservoir but I don't think they come with any gasket, correct?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, there is an o-ring/rubber grommet that seats in the openings on the reservoir for the pumps and the pumps themselves go into those.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks Lance.
Do I have to remove the tire or can I access it from the bottom without having to remove the tire or the fender lining? Thanks for all the inputs guys.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

I did it all with the wheel on. You'll have to remove the black plastic cover but from what I remember that is it. I think I cranked the wheel to the left to give myself enough room to work.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Yea, that's what I figured that I would do.
I see two bolts holding holding it.
I also see the plastic covering that covers the reservoir itself.
I am just hoping that I do not have to remove the fender lining because once you break one of those plastic pieces, it's PITA to replace.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 AM

So a quick update...

I filled the reservoir with water and nothing leaked.
Then, tested the wipers and both the front and rear wipers worked.
I know it leaked when it was below freezing temps but since I am no longer in that climate, nothing is leaking.

Anyone know whats going on?
Is this common, leaking with freezing temps and back to normal function in non-freezing climate?

I fear that it might be the lines might be cracked or something.

Any thoughts???
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM

What I have learned is that all the problems are shown/enhanced in cold weather. Depending on how cold it was maybe the rubber grommets hardened up allowing fluid to get by, or moisture was present at a junction point, froze, and allowed fluid to escape.
Was it a fast or slow leak when it did happen?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM

That's what I was thinking as well.

In terms of the leak, I am not sure if it was slow or fast.
We got to Colorado at night so I didn't realize until the nest morning when there was a puddle of green stuff. At first, I thought it was anti-freeze but realized that I use the factory red stuff. I smelled the fluid and definitely was wiper fluid. But there was still some fluid left in the reservoir so that leads me to think that it was a small leak.

Then, yesterday....I filled the tank and nothing leaked.
I made sure too because the ground was dry with no evidence of any fluid.
Boggles the mind???

I really hope it is not the lines because I am guessing that it is a real PITA to re-route the lines.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM

How about coming up with a way to pressureize the tank? Maybe a cut up bicycle innertube over the top with the valve in it strapped on somehow and put just a couple of PSI in and see if it leaks then? Remember I didn't say it was a good idea. Just an idea.
Jim
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM

If it only leaks when it is cold, You may want to check or replace the seal between the tank and the pumps. As stated before, in the cold, the rubber tends to shrink and harden in the cold, so a small crack may seal in warmer temps, but will leak when it is bellow freezing.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Reservoir Replacement