Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Windshield frame rust spot...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
LV_4Runner

Windshield frame rust spot...

A week ago, I noticed some rust-spot in windshield frame in Passenger side. Assuming it is minor rust problem, I bought some touch up paint and ordered windshield molding to take care of it myself.

Then, when I actually got rid of windshield molding, I found the multiple rust spots here and there.

I think it is all back to 2001 Winter when the local free-way snow plower threw piles of snow and ice and rocks on top on my runner while driving 60mph or so in local free-way (no where to steer away.... Actually, there was another lady, ford explore got hit at the same time...)

I dropped my car immediately in local dealer and had to grab taxi because I was heading to airport for over-sea trip. It was my big mistake... dropping the car at dealer...

When I got back, I found,

1. The urethane caulking was too much applied, that it was actually blocking VIN number plate. What a crappy job! They even charged me more because I asked for OEM glass.
When I brought my car back to the place, the so-called manager guy said... "it will require to breake the glass again to correct the things....do you want it?". I immediately realized that this guy was not worth to deal with.... and walked out of the dealer...

2. The paint job in the side mirror was not completed, it shows bare plastic material... stupid...

No wonder, they didn't do proper rust-proofing for windshield job... Now I got all the rust in windshield frame area...

Anyway, this time I am going to do such rust proofing + detail paint job in windshield frame area.... and will attemp to put the windshield back..

Anybody is replacing windshield. please make sure you find a good reputable place....

Any advice on my project will be appreciated..