42.55%
ARB air locker
57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

winch/bumper combo or locker?

Old 04-15-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question winch/bumper combo or locker?

Ok, now which would you guys choose? A badlands bumper with a 8000 lb. warn winch or an ARB air locker? I have to get my seals and barings done in the back, but that's only $400. with the locker it'll be about $1300-$1200. The bumper and winch is $1110 exactly.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Banned

Locker hands down.

A winch and bumper will only get you out after you get stuck, and only if you can winch forward. With the locker you won't get stuck.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:22 PM

That's true to a certain point before you get in even deeper with the locker.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, the locker will take you in even further and a bigger chance of getting stuck

Both are good mods, and I don't regret one bit having the winch/bumper over the rear locker at all.

By the way, Jeff might be able to help with the locker install.
He does a lot of that work there, and if I do go with an Air Locker in the future, he already found the perfect place under my hood for the small ARB air compressor when I thought I had no room under there.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:49 PM

LOL. Catch 22.. A locker will get you alot further and in ALOT DEEPER ˟˟˟˟. No locker wont get you as far or as deep but you can get yourself out. If you got buddies with a winch go for the locker.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:54 PM

Hmmmmm. I'm leaning more towards the winch and bumper. Since I'm going to montana at the end of summer, I fugure I really don't need a locker in the snow. Also, I want to have a good bumper in the event that I hit an animal. I just wanted to see what evey one's opinon is.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Winch got this guy home in time for dinner.

That's me pulling him out April 6th of last year.

Todd & I were just on that same road there last Saturday, and the snow level was not there, it was a lot higher up past 3,300'.

They are both good mods as was stated above.
I choose the winch/bumper combo as it was cheaper.
For me to get locked properly it will run me around $3K or higher.

Figure $1K for the Air Locker and compressor, and then new bearings, then might as well get some 4.88s or 5.29 gears to replace my high gears I have now, then lets not forget the front axle has to be done too.
And $1K in labor.

Then I'd be geared for 32 to 33" tires finally, there's another $600 to $800

See why I went with the bumper/winch?
$620 ARB bumper
$719 Warn XD9000 (killer deal, could not pass it up)
$100 labor
------
$1,439 not counting tax.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locker for sure.

The funny thing is that what a locker does one really needs a mirror to see, the big huge smile on your face when you are not stuck going up off camber stuff and can take things slow.

If you are wheeling, lets say you get to an obstacle that you get stuck on with open diffs.

Scenario 1, you got the locker so you just cruise through.

Scenario 2, you got the winch and bumper. Are you going to bother to string it through that point?

I have a couple of lockers, but no winch.

The only time that I have been in a situation where extraction had to be with a winch was when everyone had lockers. All the other times that come to mind I got people out with a strap.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:01 PM

I would say the winch/bumper. Just think about it...extreme rigs with dual lockers and huge tires still use a winch now and then.

Also, you may want to add some sort of suspension improvement to your budget...that combo will bring the front down a little.

Jim
Old 04-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
For me to get locked properly it will run me around $3K or higher.
you ever wonder how much all your smaller mods add up to? i did this recently and was kickin myself for the amount of money i blew on stuff that couldve been better spent on a winch or locker.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Locker. More useful and you'll have to do some front suspension upgrades whenever you do a bumper/winch.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:51 PM

Also, I forgot to add, I'm going to be in snow for 5 months out of the year. From what I've seen and been in, lockers and snow don't mix very well. And yes I know it will be an ARB, but how much will I need it in the snow? But who knows, I go back and forth from day to day, so until I get all the money I'll choose then.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:43 PM

What was it that the old wise man on the mountain said? Oh yeah, something like this:

"A winch will get you through times with no locker better than a locker will got you through times with no winch."

I still need to get lockers, but in the mean time I still want to go wheeling. I also want to do a SAS, and I think that it would be a waste of money to buy one for the 7.5" IFS front only to ˟˟˟˟˟can it or sell it at a loss later. Besides, I won't get a locker unless I am replacing the R&P and the labor alone for that is mad $$$. And that is why I went with the bumper/winch first.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:45 PM

Keep in mind that a winch addition will also mean you'll need a better battery and you'll probably want a bigger alternator to keep up with the winch. I'm not sure if that Stage 2 lift you have will be enough to support a winch and a bumper, but it might.

I say go with the winch. You can always add a locker later but a winch will almost always get you out of trouble. You might even want to think about a limited slip instead of that pricey ARB.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
you ever wonder how much all your smaller mods add up to? i did this recently and was kickin myself for the amount of money i blew on stuff that couldve been better spent on a winch or locker.
Over $7K when all added up
Of course this is a rough estimate, and doesn't always include taxes, or small parts needed to finish the job.

Will I lock my current rig, probably not.
I am not that hardcore of a rider to really need a locker.

Have I been in situations that would require one?
You bet!
But I get a lot of pleasure out of the heavy duty bumper for protection wise, and knowing that I can pull out a stuck rig as evidenced by the very first trip out with the winch.

Plus a rig just doens't look complete until have have a gnarly bumper & winch on it, it completes that 4x4 look, IMHO.

Most of my wheeling is exploring old logging roads with tight twisty trails thrown into the mix, and a locker doesn't really make sense for me.
If I had a locker I'd be going places that would be a contributor to body damage, and my rig is to nice & new in my eyes to beat the hell out of it.
It's still like a brand new rig to me.

If I ever get super serious about wanting to run more hardcore stuff, I'll get an older rig that I won't care about if it gets a 50' gash down the side, or I crap on the seat from my pucker valve opening up

PS, Chris, I am running the stock alternator and a Red Top "Optima" clone battery.
The winch works fine with this, and also with the engine off I have used the winch.
That stock alternator also feeds two amps quite well for the tunes.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Do the locker first; with a locker you can drive over things, with a winch and open diffs, you'll be walking.
I used to live in Colorado, having the ARB was great in the winter. Truck performed like stock, no handling issues. Once offroad, just push the button and go. You'll be amazed how much more capable your vehicle is with a locker. You'll be glad you did this mod
Old 04-15-2003, 05:57 PM

You mention Montana and snow. They have serious snow there.

Manual lockers are not a problem at all in snow on the road. When I wheel in snow, I can choose between open and spool. If it is icy and I am sliding, then I go open. If it is powder, air down and spool it.

Labor for locker install should run $200ish. Detroit for $400, ARB for $585ish, bearings, seals, etc. $100ish.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I was quoted $1800 from Central 4Wd last year when I had the winch put on.

That was for an ARB Air Locker, compressor, new Tinkham bearings, and labor.
Same gears.

Randy's Ring & Pinion wants about the same.

Crap, I can pick up a solid axle '85 truck that probably already has a Detroit in the rear for under $3K here.
Older solid axle Toyotas are all over WA. state for good prices.

I'd go that route before putting more $$$ into my rig, and have a nice 2nd Toy to take on harder trails.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:00 PM

Tough decision...

If I didn't have protection up front already, I'd go with the winch/bumper combo.

Gotta protect the vehicle first!

Either way though, those are both great mods.

Good luck,

Warren
Old 04-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

I say to go with the bumper and winch for a few reasons.

Like some others said, a winch will get you out of trouble and a locker will get you into trouble. Once your are locked and stuck, you are really stuck. You will always get home when you own a winch. I really want to add one to my truck soon. I'm a little spoiled since mine has an electric locker from the factory.

The second reason is looks. Nothing makes a truck look more "ready for business" than a big ol' ARB bumper with a hook hanging out of the front. It really adds that "4x4" look.

Maybe you should save for both. It sounds like you really want to own both of them anyway. Good luck with your decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winch/bumper combo or locker?