Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

will stock shocks work with lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will stock shocks work with lift?

Will the stock shocks/ shock length work with a 3" spring lift? Both front and rear?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
they worked fine so far on mine.. however i do plan i buy new 3" lift shocks in a couple of months. ive had my lift on since mid november
Old 02-18-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They will work but limit flex. Just depends on how far you want to go to free up travel
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Work. Yes. Work properly. No. With the harsher coils the ride will be crap (882s).

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Ned

Well my reason for asking is, I just put new Pro-Comp ES9000's on the rear of my Runner (I have very little $$ right now and was tired of the rear end slamming over bumps). I plan on doing an all OME coil 3" lift some time in the future. Not too soon, but well before the Pro Comps are worn out. Just wondering if I will be able to use the Pro Comps or not. I know when I put them on, with the axle lowered as far as it will go the shocks were a bit longer. I want to put 891's in the rear due to occasional towing.

Last edited by Ned; 02-18-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wabbit, sorry for what I'm about to say.

I am running stock length shocks with my lift. (Tundra TRDs and 891s). Im sure they are limitting the droop of the rear axle but it rides great.

Go for it. If you hate the ride, put up with it untill you can replace the shocks.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gerdo
Wabbit, sorry for what I'm about to say.

I am running stock length shocks with my lift. (Tundra TRDs and 891s). Im sure they are limitting the droop of the rear axle but it rides great.

Go for it. If you hate the ride, put up with it untill you can replace the shocks.
Running stock shocks with a lifted coil is like putting 24" spinners on a car with no engine in it. Sure it technically "works" but it is a poor choice.

If you want to mall crawl, go for it, but you are limiting your suspension with stock shocks and lifted coils.

And I don't have to ride in it.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Running stock shocks with a lifted coil is like putting 24" spinners on a car with no engine in it. Sure it technically "works" but it is a poor choice.

If you want to mall crawl, go for it, but you are limiting your suspension with stock shocks and lifted coils.

And I don't have to ride in it.

Apples and oranges! We're not talking about some stupid wheels that do nothing good. I get tons of droop and can fully tuck my tires into the wheelwell.

Sure it's not ideal but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM

With how often some of us get to off road it doesn't matter too much.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

All that money in mods in your sig and you go cheap on shocks and use the stock ones.

Sure, stock shocks work. Poor choice IMO.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 AM

You cannot use stock length shocks with the OME 882 coils...I found out the hard way. I do have stock length shocks in the rear with LC coils, but have upgraded to OME N91SC comfort valved shocks up front.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 AM

Thanks wabbit, now you have me thinking and I have to find the money to get a pair. Times are tough right now. I will be switching them out. You shamed me into it. I guess it's either a pair of shocks or some 24" DUBS!

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-19-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
Thanks wabbit, now you have me thinking and I have to find the money to get a pair. Times are tough right now. I will be switching them out. You shamed me into it. I guess it's either a pair of shocks or some 24" DUBS!
Definitely get the DUBS Gerdo! The look cool and I've heard they add like 40-50 rear wheel horsepower!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM

ok so what is being said here is that stock shocks limit travel? isnt that a good thing so that the cvds dont get strained? also does running stock shocks actually affect the amount of lift sitting flat? (I want the best mall poser pics possible ..)
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL
ok so what is being said here is that stock shocks limit travel? isnt that a good thing so that the cvds dont get strained? also does running stock shocks actually affect the amount of lift sitting flat? (I want the best mall poser pics possible ..)
Correct me, wabbit, if I'm wrong. The front shocks are all stock length and do limit the droop so you don't over extend/angle of the CVs. People have CV problems from running a high lift and wearing out the CV boots allowing dirt in. Also when top out spacers or spacers that mount above the shock/coil combo, this will allow the wheel to droop beyond the safe doop length. This will put a bind on the CV, that and spinning/power/traction can cause CVs to pop.

The rear shocks also limit droop. When lifted you can install longer shocks to have the ride height toward the center of the shock's travel. This also allows for more droop. Along with added droop you must make sure that things don't over-extend. (e-brake cable, ABS lines, brake lines, swaybar end links, etc) I'm sure that I could get more droop with longer shocks but I get a ton with the stock length. They are by no way (at normal ride height) near the end of their travel.

No, shock length has nothing to do with the lift height. (the exception would be the adjustable height Bilstein 5100 and the like)
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Ned

Well like I said, when I had the back end up, wheels off, springs out, pan hard disconnected and the axle hanging at maximun drop (cables and hoses were stretched tight) the Pro Comp shocks (sized to replace the stock length shocks) fully extended were a couple inches longer. I know with lifted springs, they will ride in the lower part of the shock, but right now it's riding in the upper end. So I think I'll be alright. Plus, I am not doing any extreme rock crawling or anything.

Last edited by Ned; 02-21-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM

so i am fine with stock length shocks, i just need better quality ones? since i installed my lift in nov the only mud/dirt it has seen is the driveway. i do not do rocks.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Wabbit,
I have a couple of questions for you.

It looks like some lift kits come with extended bumpstops. I'm guessing that because the shocks are longer that they dont allow as much compression allowing them to reach the stock bumpstops. Is this true?

What is more important, max compression or max droop?

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Im new to the site ,but i had to give my 2 cents.I just installed 882's and 891's on stock shocks and the ride is definetly better on the road,but im not rock crawling in florida either.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM

One other thing to consider (I don't remember anyone else saying this yet, but forgive me if I missed it) is the fact that when you lift with stock shocks your shocks will normally be in an extended position which will cause them to wear more quickly than they would otherwise.

Quick Reply: will stock shocks work with lift?