Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wife knocked off my rear wing with garage door!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wife knocked off my rear wing with garage door!

Wifey and I got in the truck, which was parked in the garage, to run to the store. I started pulling out of the garage, and before I was all the way out, she "accidentally" sat on the garage door remote. Well, garage door comes down and catches the rear wing, rips it right off! I hear this super loud "clang clang clang" as I look in the rearview mirror to see my rear wing boucing around on the concrete garage floor. I glanced over and gave her the evil eye, without saying a word. She ran into the house knowing I was PO'd. I peel out of the driveway and proceeded to the store alone, to give me time to cool off.

After cooling off and returning home, I start looking at damages. The wing has a decent bend in it where the brake light opening is. Also multiple scratches. The 4 screws that hold the wing on, ripped right out of the plastic mounting brackets. The mounting brackets seem to still be fastened securely to the truck. No damage to garage door.

I'm pretty sure I can bend the wing back into shape, and repaint the scratches, but what do I do about the stripped-out plastic mounting holes? I guess I could try finding some junkyard mounting brackets.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, wifey was very appologetic when I returned home, and promises to "make it up to me". We're good now.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about the rear wind deflector or the fancy larger spoiler?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Call me at 800-782-0682 we have them in stock, and I can get the wing shipped out today for you with both brackets, and all attaching hardware.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Go easy...just a piece of metal. If that causes you to peel out in your driveway and be upset with your wife, I wouldn't want to see what happens when a real problem comes up.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I would do the same thing, i would definetly not be happy if my girlfriend caused that.

I think he handled it perfectly. Went to the store, calmed down, and everything was fine. What more can you ask for?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM

Don't you have sensors on your garage door to prevent it from closing if something is under it?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Toyvana
Go easy...just a piece of metal. If that causes you to peel out in your driveway and be upset with your wife, I wouldn't want to see what happens when a real problem comes up.
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I would do the same thing, i would definetly not be happy if my girlfriend caused that.

I think he handled it perfectly. Went to the store, calmed down, and everything was fine. What more can you ask for?
As an old married fart who used to overreact about trivial things in life, it's a truck. Trivial. Your relationship with your wife; nothing should be more important in your life. The sooner you learn to overlook such happenings and go with the flow the happier your marriage will be, the longer it will remain, and you will live longer being stress free.

The way to handle it would to have not lost your cool over something so trivial, leaned over and kissed her on the cheek and said, "It's just a truck honey and I can get it fixed". Then you and your wife go to the store and enjoy spending time together. You would have earned WAY more brownie points that way.

Wife/family comes before truck everytime...and I got so many trucks I lose track.

Peeling out in the driveway is what a teenager would do.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Are you talking about the rear wind deflector or the fancy larger spoiler?
Yeah, it was the stock wind deflector thing.

Call me at 800-782-0682 we have them in stock, and I can get the wing shipped out today for you with both brackets, and all attaching hardware.
Thanks, I may take you up on that if I don't come up with something else.

As far as the wife and I, we are fine. I thought I handled it pretty well. (Except peeling out, that was pretty immature). I didn't yell at her or anything, and I got out of there before I said/did something stupid. I was laughing about it, by the time I got to the store. And when I returned home 15 mins later, we were both laughing about it.

Lighten up guys, my original post was meant to be somewhat humerous! I thought you would all get a kick out of it.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was funny and I would tell the wife she broke it now she has to fix it just to see what she doe's
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh I would have laughed my butt off if I had seen it happen to YOU! My next door neighbor's wife didn't bother to open the garage door a couple weeks ago.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had a dollar for everything stupid thing my wife did to my car or hers...you know the saying. Laughing definitely fixes everything for both of you though, thats for sure. Good times!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Just curious on why your wife felt the need to flee the scene.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
Just curious on why your wife felt the need to flee the scene.
I'm more curious if other posters would really be so cool about it or if they would have been mad in the moment also.
I think 9 out of 10 guys would have been mad first and then cooled down just the same as him.....the tire burn thing is a different issue.
I know that my initial response would have been at least very unhappy and I think he did well with not saying anything.....therefore not regretting it.

You do owe your truck and tires a big "I'm sorry" though.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM

Your 4runner is powerful enough to peel out? wow.

Just mount some sweet backup/work lights on the metal parts attached to the truck. Ive been thinking about doing that for a while now. How strong do the mounts seem?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM

I want to know why the remote was on the seat rather than mounted somewhere?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
As an old married fart who used to overreact about trivial things in life, it's a truck. Trivial. Your relationship with your wife; nothing should be more important in your life. The sooner you learn to overlook such happenings and go with the flow the happier your marriage will be, the longer it will remain, and you will live longer being stress free.

The way to handle it would to have not lost your cool over something so trivial, leaned over and kissed her on the cheek and said, "It's just a truck honey and I can get it fixed". Then you and your wife go to the store and enjoy spending time together. You would have earned WAY more brownie points that way.

Wife/family comes before truck everytime...and I got so many trucks I lose track.

Peeling out in the driveway is what a teenager would do.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Wow not only do I learn loads of info about badass trucks but I learn life skills on Yotatech. Now I have some thing to say when I hear "Why are you always on that stupid website???"

Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Yeah I would be pretty upset to, if something were to happen to my 4Runner, even a small ding or scratch!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mee too im kinda anal about my hilux.. but thats how i keep it niice
Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 AM

It was an accident, I would have laughed at it at the time no matter who did it, but especially with my wife (but then again my truck isn't exactly "nice" ). Now, even though my truck is kinda ugly, if ANYone would have done something to it on purpose, I'd be super pissed. But since this was an accident, I would have had her get out and grab the wing and carry it around the store with us as punishment
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM

hey he got 'made up to'. so what can be so bad?

Quick Reply: Wife knocked off my rear wing with garage door!