Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wierd sound (clutch and whinying): help diagnosis needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wierd sound (clutch and whinying): help diagnosis needed

Let me start off with specs:
1996 Toyota 4runner with 125k miles on my 2.7L 3rz 4cyl engine and manual transmission with as far as I know original clutch.

Here is the problem:
when the engine is just idiling and the clutch pedal is not pressed I hear almost a pulsating low whinying noise. When I push the clutch pedal in while still idiling and not moving the pulsating low whinying noise goes away. It is very consistent, when I let off the clutch pedal it will start again.....

So what is going on?

I changed the tranny fluid probably 4k miles ago to Redline MT90 and I always change the engine oil and filter between 3k and never letting it go over 5k miles.

If more info is needed let me know and thanks for everyones help in advance! I am also going to see about getting a sound clip.

-Nolan
Old 03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like transmission whine to me. Maybe it's a little more pronounced because your is heading south, but I doubt it.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nolan
Let me start off with specs:
1996 Toyota 4runner with 125k miles on my 2.7L 3rz 4cyl engine and manual transmission with as far as I know original clutch.

Here is the problem:
when the engine is just idiling and the clutch pedal is not pressed I hear almost a pulsating low whinying noise. When I push the clutch pedal in while still idiling and not moving the pulsating low whinying noise goes away. It is very consistent, when I let off the clutch pedal it will start again.....

So what is going on?

I changed the tranny fluid probably 4k miles ago to Redline MT90 and I always change the engine oil and filter between 3k and never letting it go over 5k miles.

If more info is needed let me know and thanks for everyones help in advance! I am also going to see about getting a sound clip.

-Nolan
Maybe clutch realease bearing. Mine used to do that exact same thing, I just had a new clutch installed for other reasons and the sound is no longer there. Shouldn't be a problem, but keep watch on it if it's get louder. Mine was like that for over 25k miles.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I second the clutch release bearing. I had the same noise. Replaced mine when I did the clutch and the noise went away. Atleast for a little while. It appears that toyota throwout bearings are just naturally noisey. Annoys the heck out of me but I think it is the nature of the beast.

Replace it when you change your clutch and it should be much quieter.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mickdady
I second the clutch release bearing. I had the same noise. Replaced mine when I did the clutch and the noise went away. Atleast for a little while. It appears that toyota throwout bearings are just naturally noisey. Annoys the heck out of me but I think it is the nature of the beast.

Replace it when you change your clutch and it should be much quieter.
Nope... notice how he said when he pushes the clutch down the noise goes away. If it was the the clutch throwout bearing it would sound when you press the clutch. I know exactly what this is. I had the same exact problem/noise with my Taco. It's the synchro(s) going bad in your transmission. I gaurantee that's what it is as I just had my transmission replaced through warranty and the noise went away. Same issue I had before... noise exists when the clutch is not pressed, noise goes away when the clutch is pressed. It's the synchro(s).... sorry man.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

My bet: Pilot beaing. But you can take your pick:Source:http://www.drivetrain.com/cldianos.html
1. Throwout or pilot bearing dry

2. Throwout or pilot bearing worn out

3. Transmission out of alignment, causing main drive gear bearing or bushing to be misaligned with pilot bearing

4. Grinding noise --- worn throwout bearing

5. Throwout bearing riding release levers

6. Centrifugal type levers contact throwout bearing s they move back

7. Click or rattle -- uneven lever adjustment

8. Release lever tips burned or worn

9. Broken bolts or yokes

10. Throwout bearing cocked on sleeve

11. Release levers out of plane

12. Excessive crankshaft end play

13. Flywheel housing misaligned

14. Worn main drive gear splines

15. Worn clutch hub springs broken, weak or worn

18. Dry or worn throwout bearing sleeve
Old 03-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Poopshute
Nope... notice how he said when he pushes the clutch down the noise goes away. If it was the the clutch throwout bearing it would sound when you press the clutch. I know exactly what this is. I had the same exact problem/noise with my Taco. It's the synchro(s) going bad in your transmission. I gaurantee that's what it is as I just had my transmission replaced through warranty and the noise went away. Same issue I had before... noise exists when the clutch is not pressed, noise goes away when the clutch is pressed. It's the synchro(s).... sorry man.
What exactly do syncros do? I am having no problems shifting and dont notice any tranny problems while driving.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

While it is possible that it is the synchros, the sound and conditions he described are still consistant with a release bearing. When the clutch is out the release bearing rest on the clutch fingers and spins at the same rotation at the engine. Thus if you press the gas the noise will match the rpms. When you push the clutch in there is a lot of pressure being applied to the bearing which quiets its noise, much like wheel bearings or other bearings when load is applied.

This is the exact scenario I had with my 3rd gen. Regardless as to which problem you have your still gonna have to take the tranny out. Check your fluid, worn synchro rings leave quite a bit of rediue.

Also while the engine is running remove the small boot around the clutch arm. If the noise gets dramatically louder you are probably looking at a throwout bearing or pilot bearing.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

i have another suggestion, put some pressure on the clutch pedal to load the throwout bearing, but not enough to release the clutch, is the noise still there, if so i bet it's an input shaft bearing on the tranny making some noise, my taco has some noise, but hasn't gotten any worse or better in the 70,000 miles that Ive owned it, and it seems like all the W59's that Ive heard have some noise to them
Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

I will bet again it's the release bearing. Mine made this sound, clutch pedal up made noise, clutch pedal to the floor-no noise. Just got a new clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing. No more noise.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:17 PM

So is it safe to say then that the noise is a semi-common comndition of Toyota transmissions? It doesnt sound like this is a major concern where I need to stop driving but when eventually I go to replace the clutch I should have the other peripherial items replaced as well. Am I right in this conclusion?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Can't say for sure but noisey throwout bearings are pretty common on these vehicles. Pretty good chance that is the problem. If the noise gets any louder I would think about doing a clutch. This bearing comes with most clutch kits, as does the pilot bearing.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

My 1996 with 86,000 miles has always done this and the 2000 5-speed I had a while back (for profit) with 18K miles did this. 2 inquiry trips to the dealer yielded the same results: "Nothing is wrong, that's normal."
Old 03-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
My 1996 with 86,000 miles has always done this and the 2000 5-speed I had a while back (for profit) with 18K miles did this. 2 inquiry trips to the dealer yielded the same results: "Nothing is wrong, that's normal."
That's the biggest load of crap when the dealer tells you that. It is indeed something wrong... maybe not immediate but in the long run it will be. That noise you're hearing is the synchro bearings wearing out. I went to the dealer twice and the second time the service manager gave it to me straight and told me the synchro's would need to be replaced at the very least. I luckily have an awesome service manager I work with and he warantied the transmission overhaul 3 months after my warranty was out. Don't let the dealer tell you it's normal. If it's in warranty it's their job to replace the broken parts.

Oh yeah... your syncrhos are what match up your gears so there's no grinding when you shift. Even though it shifts fine right now with the noise... just realize that it means the synchro bearings are getting bad. If the sound gets worse I would think about getting it fixed... if it stays constant and isn't too loud you should be alright for the time being.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nolan
So is it safe to say then that the noise is a semi-common comndition of Toyota transmissions? It doesnt sound like this is a major concern where I need to stop driving but when eventually I go to replace the clutch I should have the other peripherial items replaced as well. Am I right in this conclusion?
Gotta say this again.... it's not your throw out bearing. If your throw out bearing was bad it would make the noise when you pressed the clutch. That's when the throw out bearing touches the pressure plate and therefore spins. From what you said the sound goes away when you press it in which means that the transmission components stop spinning. The sound you are hearing is coming from a worn out synchro bearing. Like I said before... I had this checked and fixed at the dealer ship VERY recently. I doubt it's something you have to worry about too much if the noise doesn't get much higher however... just realize that it's NOT your clutch components. Don't waste your money replacing the clutch until it wears out and NEEDS to be replaced. I would take your truck to Toyota and have them check it to see how bad the synchro bearings are (they'll basically just listen to it). If you get a good service manager he'll give it to you straight... if you get a bad one (most common), he'll tell you it's "normal". G'luck.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Poopshute
Gotta say this again.... it's not your throw out bearing. If your throw out bearing was bad it would make the noise when you pressed the clutch. That's when the throw out bearing touches the pressure plate and therefore spins. From what you said the sound goes away when you press it in which means that the transmission components stop spinning. The sound you are hearing is coming from a worn out synchro bearing. Like I said before... I had this checked and fixed at the dealer ship VERY recently. I doubt it's something you have to worry about too much if the noise doesn't get much higher however... just realize that it's NOT your clutch components. Don't waste your money replacing the clutch until it wears out and NEEDS to be replaced. I would take your truck to Toyota and have them check it to see how bad the synchro bearings are (they'll basically just listen to it). If you get a good service manager he'll give it to you straight... if you get a bad one (most common), he'll tell you it's "normal". G'luck.
Poopshute
I don't think it is fair to say This is your problem. As I mentioned before it is very possible synchros are the problem but mine did the same thing and I diagnosed it myself and repaired myself. Throw out bearing with the exact same symptoms. Since you and I both appear to have had the same conditions lets leave both options on the table so he can diagnos it himself without rebuilding the transmission if it is not necessary. I promise you, a throwout bearing will make this exact noise under these exact conditions as will synchros (although usually accompanied by harsh shifting and material in the oil).

I think we have given him enough to get started. Let us know if we can help out anymore.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Dilan-

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. No offense, but I am going to take the shop foreman's word (at Bell Toyota) over yours. Besides, they would have everything to gain by telling me my tranny was shot when I brought it in (i.e. new tranny), but they didn't. 3 tech's and the foreman were standing there and all were in agreement.

Oh and my neighbors' 98 Tacoma V6 does the same thing too.

You NEVER hear about these 5 speeds going out. They are really strong and well built; just a little noisy at times.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Mine did the same thing. I thought it was the TO bearing or the front bearing but it wasn't.

When I replaced the clutch in Jan. I found that the pivot point on the clutch fork was dry (it should have a dab of high temp grease on it). So when there was no pressure on it the slight contact the pivot point makes with the clutch fork would cause it to vibrate and squeek. Once I cleaned all of the dried grease and applied a coating of fresh high temp grease, no more squeek!

Trust me, that's what it is.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Cool diagram Jim, thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Wow... sooo many opinions. Ok... well I honestly think it's the tranny that's having issues but I'm not going to tell you to trust me. I had the same type of noise with the same clutch in/clutch out procedure and THE DEALERSHIP (Boulder Toyota), NOT myself, diagnosed this... so... don't take my word for it by any means... I'd just recommend taking it to your dealer and asking them to check it. My dealership came to the conclusion that the tranny needed to be replaced after the second time I brought it in. I know others in this forum who got the same "it's normal" line from the dealer and ended up having their tranny syncrhos go out a few months later. Hey, it could be a minor problem... it could be something more. At the very least I'd just say take it to the dealer where they can, unlike us, actually LOOK at your truck and see what's going on. Seems like there's just too man "I GAURANTEE I KNOW THAT'S THE PROBLEM" here... including myself. At least now you know all the possible problems that it may be so you can understand or discuss it better with a tech. Good luck and I hope it's something minor!

Oh... and 96runner.... now you've heard of a 5-speed tranny going out... mine did ;-)... and only after 40k. I've also found others on this forum with the same problem. Do a search. Sorry to have brought heat to this discussion... I guess I'm still bitter that my tranny went out in the first place (it wasn't my fault)... but, hey... I got a new one for free so wtf should I be complaining about. Lates!

Last edited by Poopshute; 03-06-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: wierd sound (clutch and whinying): help diagnosis needed