95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends

Well well well,
"Mr. C.S.I. chicago" was researching Tie-rod ends at Rock Auto and i noticed that the "Raybestos" and "Moog" tie-rod ends looked VERY similar. And so I looked further, Auto zones Duralast outler tie rod is a dead ringer for the "Moog" Tie-rod..(same stampings and all )Note Moog is more than double the price and both have Limited lifetime warrenties.. yet auto zone has a store you can take the part back to. NOTE: the different brands seem to have took pictures of the SAME part at different angles to throw people off.

I will soon order the parts from BOTH stores to do a real time comparison.

Here we Go and notice the similar part numbers.

1) ADVANCED AUTO PRICE $70.99 (only $56.99 @ Rockauto plus ship)
Moog Tie Rod End - Driver, Outer
Part No. ES3548
Warranty

2)AUTO ZONE DURALAST Price:$30.99
Part Number: ES3548
Price:$30.99
Warranty:
LLT
Notes: Left - outer

Buyer Beware... Shady
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While its true that some companies do repackage generic parts as brand-name ones, it's also possible that the more expensive TRE's are heat-treated or made out of a different alloy to make them more resilient...
Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 AM

But shouldn't they look alike, even identical? If they did not look the same, I would buy the Moog...

Still interested in what you find out...
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpcollen1
But shouldn't they look alike, even identical? If they did not look the same, I would buy the Moog...

Still interested in what you find out...
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. If they didn't look identical, then one probably wouldn't work correctly. Most likely it's like mastacox said about it being heat treated, and more resilient. But it's possible they're just reselling it with the moog name.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Same part made by the same company

Originally Posted by mastacox
While its true that some companies do repackage generic parts as brand-name ones, it's also possible that the more expensive TRE's are heat-treated or made out of a different alloy to make them more resilient...

Guys, sorry the SAME tie rod photo appears for multiple companies...Sorry, this is a classic case of simple repackaging the very same part.Do you really think anything is different on this part because it is a "Moog"... Heat treating...? Come on, they are made exactly the same at the same factory. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. What we really have here is a single company "555" (Made in Japan) that manufacturers 1 high quality part for several different companies/brands.

Bottom line, you'll pay double for what appears to be the exact same part... a cool "Moog" box that cost you $40.00 (plus tax) per tie rod. It seems like the same part at autozone under the Duralast brand or to "Raybestos" under their brand.
Someone would be foolish to pay double for the exact same part.
I will let you know when they come in..
Later

Last edited by icerunner; 10-31-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 AM

I have to replace my outers again due to crap ones I found on eBay. Let me know your findings because I was going to go with Moog since everyone raves about their quality. If they are half the price and just re-branded for AutoZone I will definitely go that route.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM

I know these parts look exactly the same andthey may be made by the same company and put in different boxes. However, there are many manufacturers that have different specs depending on the customer. Moog could have the tightest tolerances and the other companies could be a liitle more open. What this does is assure Moog the best product any other "Moog rejects" are no problem for the manufacturer because they sell them as off brand or house brand names. Just because something looks alike does not mean it is the same part. It could be the same but from a manufacturing standpoint I wanted to make this point.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Many years ago I worked in a factory making scissors, wrenches and a few other tools. Different companies ordered wrenches from us. They all looked the same but different batches were tempered (by me) to different Rockwell specs. (hardness/durability) to meet the different customer requirements. So it is quite possible that these parts are in every other way the same but the steel has been tempered at different temperatures and durations offering better quality. Only way to tell is with a rockwell or other compression tester.

Last edited by woodendude; 10-30-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by woodendude
Many years ago I worked in a factory making scissors, wrenches and a few other tools. Different companies ordered wrenches from us. They all looked the same but different batches were tempered (by me) to different Rockwell specs. (hardness/durability) to meet the different customer requirements. So it is quite possible that these parts are in every other way the same but the steel has been tempered at different temperatures and durations offering better quality. Only way to tell is with a rockwell or other compression tester.
It sounds like you and I have both been there done that. In my case I am still there.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icerunner
Guys, sorry the SAME tie rod photo appears for multiple companies...Sorry, this is a classic case of simple repackaging the very same part.
Do you really think anything is different on this part because it is a "Moog"... Heat treating...? Come on, they are made exactly the same at the same factory.
Look, the point is there is no way to tell if the tie rods are all exatcly the same without know something about their manufacturing process. Just because they LOOK the same doesn't mean they ARE the same. I seriously doubt that Moog is charging a 130% increase for a box with their name on it, but hey I could be wrong.

THe simplest explanation is usually the correct one, what we have is a single company that manufacturers 1 particular part for several different companies/brands. Now this is true for at least for the outer tie rod part..
"The simplest explanation being the best one" is not an effective argument. Besides, it seems to me the simplest argument is that Moog TRE's are heat treated. It really doesn't matter to me anyway because I'm not interested in buying Moog parts, but it is also common to find parts at Autozone that look almost excactly like a factory original part (minus the Denso stamp), but the Toyota originals are heat treated and therefore stronger (and much more expensive).

Bottom line you pay double for what appears to be the exact same part... a cool "Moog" box that cost you $40.00 per tie rod. It seems like the same part at autozone under the Duralast brand or to "Raybestos" under their brand.
Someone would be foolish to pay double for the exact same part.
I will let you know when they come in..
Later
The bottom line is that unless you have the equipment to evaluate material properties and destructively test the strength of the TRE's, you will have no definitive proof one way or the other.

"Looks the same" doesn't necessarily mean "is the same." For all we know they could be using the same cast, same manufacturing methods, and the same rubber boots, but the Moogs could be sent to an extra heat-treating step before they are assembled.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

WELL WELL WELL.. we have an answer!

Folks, from what i've seen (drum roll)
it's 100% the same Identical part.
As I did a upclose comparision at each store (Part in Hand) and now it's time for some of you to open your eyes up to my CSI investigation...

"Moog" VS. "Duralast"
Also, a quote from a nay sayer:
"it maybe has extra heat treatment"
My answer: La La La....
Fair question: Seriously, how the heck do you know that?

Yo "Richy Rich", I'm just trying to save people money in a major recession...! (hehe..)

The findings of my investigation are as follows..
1) Metal shaft (up close and personal) color **, size, and markings : SAME
(**btw, heat treatment would likely discolor...NOPE, the exact same unpainted color)

Let me continue your honor..
2) Rubber boot material and style: SAME
3) Castle nut and cotter Pin: SAME
4) Sealed Plastic bag: SAME
5) Stampings on shaft "D" and "555" on shaft: SAME
6) Small GREEN CARD and Numbered barcode on card: SAME
7) MOdel Number: SAME
8) packaging/ brand Box: (Duralast vs MOOG) : DIFFERENT
9) PRICE: DIFFERENT ... MOOG $70.99 @advanced auto VS. Duralast $30.99 @ autozone
10) Paying $80.00 dollars less for the exact same set of outer tie rods? Answer: Priceless

come on now, someone would be foolish to pay double for the exact same part. Btw, ROCK ON U CRAZY MOTHER LOVERS!!
lol

Last edited by icerunner; 11-01-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Folks, from what i've seen (drum roll)
it's 100% the same IDENTICAL part.
As I did a upclose comparision at each store (Part in Hand) and now it's time for all of you to open your dam eyes up to my CSI investigation...

"MOOG" VS. "Duralast"
Also, a quote from a nay sayer:
"it maybe has extra heat treatment"
My answer: LA LA LA....
question: Seriously, how the heck do you know that?

Hey "Richy Rich", by the way I'm just trying to save people money in a major recession... so quit acting like a "MOOG fan boy" who likes to overpay! (hehe..)

The findings of my investigation are as follows..
1) Metal shaft (up close and personal) color **, size, and markings : SAME
(**btw, heat treatment would likely discolor...NOPE, the exact same unpainted color)

Let me continue your honor..
2) Rubber boot material and style: SAME
3) Castle nut and cotter Pin: SAME
4) Sealed Plastic bag: SAME
5) Stampings on shaft "D" and "555" on shaft: SAME
6) Small GREEN CARD and Numbered barcode on card: SAME
7) MOdel Number: SAME
8) packaging BOX: (Duralast vs MOOG) : DIFFERENT
9) PRICE: DIFFERENT ... MOOG $70.99 @advanced auto VS. Duralast $30.99 @ autozone
10) Paying $80.00 dollars less for the exact same set of outer tie rods? Answer: Priceless

come on now, someone would be foolish to pay double for the exact same part. Btw, ROCK ON U CRAZY MOTHER LOVERS!!
lol
I bought some Spicer Pro Grade Tie Rod Ends last year that also fit that description to the letter. And they were significantly cheaper than the Moog equivalent.

I'm convinced there's really only 2 maybe 3 places making most parts for these trucks. If it says "Made in Japan" or has a 555 stamp on it, chances are it's OEM or better quality. As long as you're not getting the $20 tie rods, I would imagine you're getting a high quality Japanese part that may be repackaged under a dozen different brands at a dozen different price points.

Moog is just a name you pay for.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM

A little off topic, but I found that gears are the same way. Midwest Manuf. apparently makes Motive, Genuine, G2, some Yukon, some Superior, and several others. They are then repackaged and sold for different prices. This should be against the law.

Last edited by brian2sun; 10-30-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
sounds like the odyssey/die hard battery rebrand fits here, too! the die hard platinum hasn't skipped a beat yet!

what i've learned in my short time here on Earth, is "you get what you pay for". finding these re-brands is always good, too!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Out of curiousity what manufacturing backgrounds do people on this site have? It seems like we have a lot of visual experts, so I thought I would ask.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

"555" is the key to solving this mystery ....

Originally Posted by GoFaSSter
Out of curiousity what manufacturing backgrounds do people on this site have? It seems like we have a lot of visual experts, so I thought I would ask.
‘555’ is stamped on all of these different brand parts and is the name of the company who make suspension and steering parts for several brands...btw, Made in Japan just like your 4 runner..Tell me, do I still need to have worked in a factory to know what corporate "Re-Branding" is.. when I see it..?....hehe..or should I just call it "RE-BOXING"? (..lol)

the icerunner investigation continues....

555 company desc...
STEERING AND SUSPENSION

Japanese manufactured ‘555’ (three five) steering and suspension components are currently available to suit the majority of Japanese vehicle applications including Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda and Subaru, and include items to suit passenger, 4wd and light commercial applications. Roadsafe PAJA have already expanded the range, from an initial coverage of about 100 part numbers to include over 700 numbers including ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arms, idler arms and drag links.

The ‘555’ product is well recognized as the premium brand of steering and suspension components. ‘555’’s reliable and efficient production system ensures that ‘555’ brand components enjoy a high reputation the world over.
Some of the product features of the ‘555’ range of Steering and Suspension include:

Premium quality product
Japanese manufactured to exacting specifications
Huge range to suit Japanese vehicle applications
3 year 100,000km warranty
Full back up and after sales care
Premium ‘555’ brand boxing for excellent point of sale value
For more than 30 years, ‘555’ have been manufacturing high quality steering and suspension components. All components are manufactured under ISO9001 accreditation. This experience in manufacturing, combined with Roadsafe PAJA's 35 plus year involvement with the Australian Automotive Aftermarket ensure customers receive quality products, service and after sales care.

The ‘555’ range includes:

Ball Joints
Centre Rods
Cross Rods
Idler Arms
Pitman Arms
Tie Rod Ends
Drag Links
Rack Ends
Bell Cranks
Stabiliser Links

Last edited by icerunner; 11-01-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 AM

Now put them on Rockwell tester and let me know the difference.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by woodendude
Now put them on Rockwell tester and let me know the difference.
Why would Auto Zone sell an inferior part under the "Duralast brand"? Or Raybestos. Think about it, with a "no questions asked lifetime warranty"...My view is that they they would not.

QUOTE from "555": "All components are manufactured under ISO9001 accreditation"

What we really have here is a single company "555" (Made in Japan) that manufacturers 1 high quality part for several different companies/brands.

My view is that the factory would not bother with the trouble of heat-treating one batch and yet not another ..It's called "economy of scale"..
Also, everyone is acting like "Heat treating" is a brand new technology.. lol, they have been using "heat treatment" for metals since the "iron ages" (w/ swords) LOL... "Heat treating" is easy and is somewhat inexpensive anyway.. In most cases, to avoid expensive lawsuits from product failure on the highway, when a potentially defective part causes someones tire to go sideways.. AND The cost of returns, they will try to make the best part possible to sell to as many companies as possible. They would likely "heat treat" ALL the shafts sufficiently at the same time pre-assembly W/O the rubber boots.
hey, don't be pissed at me for trying to save you money... it is your money.

Last edited by icerunner; 10-31-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Hey,
HOW DO YOU ADD FULL SIZED DIGITAL PICTURES TO MY POST? I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW PROOF THAT THESE ARE THE SAME PART.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 AM

Hey,
HOW DO YOU ADD FULL SIZED DIGITAL PICTURES TO MY POST? I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW PROOF THAT THESE ARE THE SAME PART.
Proof does not fall into a visal category. I am glad that is enough for you. I have already explained to you that I agree they were probably made in the same plant. However, each customer has their own tolerances, OPCs, and requirements. The larger OEMs usually have the tightest controls. When parts go out of their spec range we would usually scrap them, but we are lucky enough to have resellers who will buy parts there are in a larger tolerance range zone. We sell them as other brands. Yes, all from the same location. I do not mind what you do and I make decisions like that when I buy parts as well. I just want you to understand that the Moog part may have a little better quality, or at least different (tighter) specifications.

Also, as far as your lifetime warranty. I had a '71 Chev pickup when I was in high school. I bought a Duralast ifetime starter. It would go out about every 6 months. I bought a second as a spare and I just kept swapping for the lifetime warranty. I had time as a kid to do this. If it were now I would find a new starter that was going to last so I did not waste my time swapping.

I am not trying to cut on Auto Zone, I buy parts there. It is just an example of a lifetime warranty part.

I realize there is nothing that will convince you and normally I do not even bother with these type of posts. This time I was just trying to share information that there are other differences besides visually.

Quick Reply: Why not PAY DOUBLE just for the "Moog" brand box..? tie-rod ends