Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What year 4runner gave you the strawberry milkshake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year 4runner gave you the strawberry milkshake?

I'm new to this forum, but have really enjoyed reading it so far- lots of great info here. I have owned a 1999 4Runner for the last 6-7 years, and have been in love with it since I brought it home. Unfortunately, despite regular maintenance, I experienced the 'strawberry milkshake of death' a few weeks ago. Engine overheated, checked the radiator only to find a gooey pink transmission fluid/coolant mixture. Transmission fluid also looks fouled, and it was shifting funny right before overheating. If only I had joined this forum earlier, I would've heard about this problem before it happened.

Anyway, given the symptoms, I'm feeling like the transmission is in need of replacement. I'm a little short on cash, so I was hoping to find a used transmission to swap in, rather than have it rebuilt- the quotes I got from transmission shops around town were a bit shocking. If possible, I'd like to avoid getting a transmission from the years that have been affected by this problem (paranoia that somebody would sell me a tranny that was affected and flushed, and it will just fail on me soon).

So... I've read lots of stories about this on here, but can't find a thread that narrows down the affected years. Anybody who has had this problem- what year runner was it?

Many thanks to any/all who respond!
Jay
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM

All years have the same issue. You just need to install an aftermarket tranny cooler to prevent it.

Pick up a used tranny from any year 3rd gen. I think even some older 4cyl 4runners/taco's used the same transmission, should be A340F I think. Check your door tag, it will tell you the transmission code for sure. Use the transmission code to find a new one.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks- I wish I had known how easy the prevention could've been. I've read through as many stories on the forum as I can find, and I'm seeing lots of 99's and 00's. Wondering if they are more likely to have the problem than earlier 3rd gens??
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM

My friend's '01 SR5 V6 just might have today...I got 2nd hand info, but it got towed to a shop...will know more tomorrow!
I warned him a few months ago....5 speed FTW!

**update on the '01** He totally lucked out and it ended up just being a leaky rad. New rad., reset the milkshake clock.

Last edited by sportscarfan; 05-21-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by hexdigs
I'm new to this forum, but have really enjoyed reading it so far- lots of great info here. I have owned a 1999 4Runner for the last 6-7 years, and have been in love with it since I brought it home. Unfortunately, despite regular maintenance, I experienced the 'strawberry milkshake of death' a few weeks ago. Engine overheated, checked the radiator only to find a gooey pink transmission fluid/coolant mixture. Transmission fluid also looks fouled, and it was shifting funny right before overheating. If only I had joined this forum earlier, I would've heard about this problem before it happened.

Anyway, given the symptoms, I'm feeling like the transmission is in need of replacement. I'm a little short on cash, so I was hoping to find a used transmission to swap in, rather than have it rebuilt- the quotes I got from transmission shops around town were a bit shocking. If possible, I'd like to avoid getting a transmission from the years that have been affected by this problem (paranoia that somebody would sell me a tranny that was affected and flushed, and it will just fail on me soon).

So... I've read lots of stories about this on here, but can't find a thread that narrows down the affected years. Anybody who has had this problem- what year runner was it?

Many thanks to any/all who respond!
Jay

The problem is with the radiator not the transmission.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
The problem is with the radiator not the transmission.

yup, i got that.

but, if i'm buying a used tranny, i want to be sure it hasn't recently experienced the same issue, followed by somebody just flushing and refilling (and therefore likely to die in the near future).
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by hexdigs
Thanks- I wish I had known how easy the prevention could've been. I've read through as many stories on the forum as I can find, and I'm seeing lots of 99's and 00's. Wondering if they are more likely to have the problem than earlier 3rd gens??
I don't think so, to my knowledge they all use the same radiator.

As far as a used tranny having the milkshake before, there's not much you can do about that unless there's a tell-tale signal, but I haven't heard of one. If you get one off of a 4runner that was wrecked, and not brought in with the body fully in tact, then I think your likelihood of getting a non-milkshaked one is pretty good. That's what I intend to do when mine dies on me.