Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What wheel spacer usually needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What wheel spacer usually needed.

First post. Actually second, as I spent 15 minutes typing, only to get booted out and lost all my text.

I just bought a 1999 4wd SR5 4runner with 5spd and V6. It's going to be my hunting buggy for riding around in the slop. The plan is to run the OME complete 3" kit from ToyTec, as it looks solid and I may be able to do it myself if they compress the fronts. I plan to keep my factory split spoke 16x7's. I know there are tons of threads out there about running 285/75/16's and rubbing, but I want to know what I can likely expect with rubbing on the control arms. What kind of spacer is usually needed to avoid this problem? I have some 1/4" plate spacers, but don't want to buy the bolt-ons. I'll run a 255/85/R16 before I do that.

Also, if planning a winch/bumper for next year, can I go ahead and install the medium or heavy duty OME springs and drive 5-6k miles before adding the additional weight up front? I will be dropping the front diff.

Many thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Here is the former grocery-getter. 183k and all the paint is still on the skidplates. Those running boards have got to go.....

Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM

congrats man, looks nice. With those rims, you will rub, but i dont know which spacer you'll want. You can always shave the upper control arm down - i know some dezert racers who've done it and ran those same rims on shaved upper control arms for years without any probs, you could also switch ur rims for the limited ones - thats what i run with my 285's - close but no rubbing.
Also, as much as everyone hates the running boards - ive always kept em on - prevents rocks & mud from being thrown up on the sides & killing ur paint job.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Have you considered a different set of wheels with a different offset?
You can't go much wider than the 1/4" spacer with out going to a bolt on spacer without longer wheel studs.
Why the aversion to bolt on spacers? Tons of people running quality sets do so with out issue. Like any part of a truck, they just need to be inspected periodically
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 AM

I mainly wanted to avoid the bolt-on spacers because I don't want to push wider tires out another 1" or more, plus the fact that they cost more. I'd like to keep the tire tucked under the SR5 flares. I did order a set of front mud guards today, as I took off the running boards this weekend.

Concerning the tire issue, I may just be better off with a 255/85 or 265/75. The extra width and weight of a 285/75 may be a bit of a drawback, even though it does look cool. (grin)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Rubbing grocery getting or wheeling?
The former you should not.

Without the extra weight on the HD coils you will explode your CVs. Save your pennies and get everything together so it works as it should.

I sell/install/use on my Toyotas Toytec stuff (dealer) and my ultimate lift puts the tires on stock rims very close to the upper arms, but they don't touch.

Get what you want test it out. Wheel spacers are a cheap fix but the proper rims are a better solution.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-03-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TheDoodie2
I came across this and thought I might add to it... What is the difference of the Limited wheels and Parish's wheels? I have a limited and they seem to be the exact ones he has. Also, I'm currently looking for a 17" wheel. I have found a used set of 2007 FJ's adn I'm thinking of getting them. However, I love the offset look and lets face it. FJ wheels have no offset... Does anyone know what my backspacing will be with the FJ wheels? I have no problem running the bolt on spacers... Thanks also I'll be running 285's and want to run 315"s or even a full 35 x 12.50

Thanks

Fink
Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Rubbing grocery getting or wheeling?
The former you should not.

Without the extra weight on the HD coils you will explode your CVs. Save your pennies and get everything together so it works as it should.

I sell/install/use on my Toyotas Toytec stuff (dealer) and my ultimate lift puts the tires on stock rims very close to the upper arms, but they don't touch.

Get what you want test it out. Wheel spacers are a cheap fix but the proper rims are a better solution.

:wabbit2:

Excellent info. Many thanks for the insight....