Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What OBD 2 do you use and why,

Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What OBD 2 do you use and why,

Hi Guys & Ladies,

I believe my gas mileage is sucking 11mpg in town 14 hwy(if I'm lucky) Due to possible O2 Sensors or cat, I have a stock 99 SR5 4x4 3.4 V6.
I want to buy a OBD Scanner to see whats going on, after seeing a few on Ebay then reading up what you can do with the software and a laptop beside just a basic OBD 2 scanner, I'm all but confused what I need. This is what I would like to do, Be able to graph the usage and see how the 02 sensors are doing as well to check if the cat is going bad.

Please let me know what you would use, and Links are always usefull - I did a search however it was just coming up with Codes that were coming up not what the scanner they were using.

Thanks much,

Corey - Thanks for Yotatech! I wouldn't be able to do half as much to my Toy if it wasn't for a great members here helping out each other. You guys Rock!

PS, If this needs to be placed in another forum please let me know, I was going off my 3rd Gen 4runner, not the topic.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM

I don't know specifically what you are looking at but what you describe is something called "Data Logging." I know that in the Mustang world, you need a decent tuner ($300) and a laptop to run in the vehicle and receive the information from the tuner. Also, if you want to monitor the O2 sensors, you are going to need a Wideband O2 sensor/scanner. Those are big bucks. Close to a grand.

That being said, folks here will chime in.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM

I've been looking at scanners too. There's so many out there, with so many options who knows what to get? Best bang for the buck?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Exactly my point for starting this tread, I hope this helps out for you too. With those that have one Please let us know what you have and the best function that fits it besides just being a scanner.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM

The BR3 scanner for your laptop is the best by FAR for your buck...
http://obddiagnostics.com/
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Bump - I'm sure there more people out there using a Scan Gauge 1 or 2, Or some expensive OBD Scanner. Is there one scanner that will regulate the O2 Sensors or able to advance the timing?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM

no scanner will bump timing or anything like that the toytoa ecus are read only. Piggybacks like the smt6 are the only things that can control fuel and timing on top of your ecu.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM

So this BR3, it comes with everything you need, software, and you can check and clear codes as long as you have a laptop correct?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner003
I want to buy a OBD Scanner to see whats going on, after seeing a few on Ebay then reading up what you can do with the software and a laptop beside just a basic OBD 2 scanner, I'm all but confused what I need. This is what I would like to do, Be able to graph the usage and see how the 02 sensors are doing as well to check if the cat is going bad.
(copied from a message I posted up in may)

You'll get a number of opinions, the box you pick depends on what you're looking to do.

For example the Auterra will log data, but only internally and only a couple of pieces at a time.

I have 4 OBD II interfaces right now... Auterra, OBDiagnostics, AllInOneOBD2 and OBDPros, they're all different and will be good for different things.

The most flexible is the OBDPros box, it will allow you to see the data in RAW mode thus you can snoop and dig up PIDs for non-normal things (e.g., opening windows, unlocking doors, etc).

The most cost efficient is the OBDiagnostics, if you already have a laptop, you're in for under $100.

The Auterra is nice 'cause it's portable (runs on a Palm), but you'll have to have the Palm. I run mine on an old color that I picked up from eBay for $50. The Auterra also has a reasonable dyno and ET function on board.

(new info)
fwiw, The ScanGauge II will _not_ display fuel trims and ECU status (open/closed loop). It DOES have the capability of using custom PIDs, but it's unclear from the manual if you can get the custom PIDs to display in a polled mode.

Now... lets take a step back a minute. You're looking to map the O2 sensor data, but... the O2 data is NOT available through OBDII on our trucks.

"OBDII" is a protocol specification for data transfer, it is NOT a spec that dictates the data to be made available. As such, you'll find some mfgs putting a TON of data out on the wire, where other mfgs will put very little. I'm doing this from memory, but our ECUs spit:
  • Throttle position
  • Fuel trims
  • Timing advance
  • Coolant temp
  • Air flow through the MAF
  • Intake air temp
  • Speed
  • RPM
  • ECU mode (open.closed loop)
  • Polutions systems check status (this is a federal requirement)

Most important to note is the lack of things like fuel pressure and fuel flow.

Bump - I'm sure there more people out there using a Scan Gauge 1 or 2, Or some expensive OBD Scanner. Is there one scanner that will regulate the O2 Sensors or able to advance the timing?
Like Jamie said, no. I'll add "not on our trucks". Some manufacturers have an extended OBDII interface which allows for changes to engine control things, but not Toyota.

Originally Posted by frodin1
So this BR3, it comes with everything you need, software, and you can check and clear codes as long as you have a laptop correct?
Yes.

Last edited by midiwall; 06-14-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 AM

I also use the Auterra for the Palm O/S and I find it very usefull. Having not used the other software midiwall has mentioned, I have nothing to compare it to beside's the old code reader.

I really like the Auterra because you can the whole thing with you anywhere and not have a laptop laying around. Its very easy to setup, using it its pretty straight forward. For the average person who uses it for diagnostic purposes, you'll never need to buy another scanner. Its has all you'll need, plus a few things that are pretty cool like the fuel mileage calculator, and dyno features. You can save alot of different setups for different vehicles you might own or test on so switching between them is quick and easy.

I bought the A-300 pkg with also came with the CAN scanning software. So I can use it on any OBD II equipt vehicle, and also anything that uses the new CAN system. After 2008 every vehicle has to be equipt with CAN so plan ahead and spend the extra few bucks to make sure you can use the software for years to come.

You can buy it off the Auterra website, or what I did, get it off their e-bay account and save a few bucks. Here.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 AM

I should also tell you to make SURE that you have an OEM Palm Hotsync Serial Cable to hook up to your Palm. I have tried 3 other aftermarket cable that did not do anything but charge my Palm. Its easiest to get the cable from Auterra when you purchase the software. They wil also add it in for another $20 if you buy it off e-bay.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 AM

You guys rock! Thanks for the write ups, I'll buy the BR-3 I have a tiny Vaio labtop that makes it easy to travel with.

Thanks again for all the input.

D-
Old 06-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

I used this for several years, http://www.obd-2.com/ but I got tired of being chained to my laptop when all I wanted to do was clear a code. Plus, I couldn't really loan it out when needed.

Mark has much more in-depth needs than I do and a much higher level of interest in this stuff. I just want to be able to read and clear codes, as well as check readiness for emissions testing. In the end, I bought one of these: http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3389 and I have been very happy with it. For my purposes, it's just right, where the laptop software has been overkill.

Note: This unit works with OBDII as well as CAN protocols.

Last edited by WATRD; 06-15-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 AM

Just keep in mind the BR-3 you buy will only work for OBD II equipt vehicles. The BR-3 CAN will only work on CAN equipt vehicles. Thats why I choose the Auterra because you can use it on both. If you plan on buying a new car in the future you may want to consider this. Auterra also makes their software for windows.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:32 PM

The Scangauge II just came in yesterday. I have the 99 SR5 "non-Limited" The scangauge II is perfect for helping me control my Leadfoot to show me the gas mileage I'm currently getting. I had the truck Professionally scanned yesterday through Northridge totyota, Heres a nice shout out to Evan over there helping me out. Thank you Even, Its great to put a face from all the times we talked. I highly recommed Northrigde Toyota if your in the area, or if you need parts Evan gives a discount to yotatech members.

AS far as my gas mileage sucking, I guess it doesn't pay to have oversize tires on and a lead foot - I'm an idiot to think there was anything wrong with a Toyota much less mine..LOL
Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 AM

I had the truck Professionally scanned...
Okay, I'm curious... What's a "professional scan" and how much did it cost you?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Okay, I'm curious... What's a "professional scan" and how much did it cost you?
I wonder if they used that diagnosic plug on the intake.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I wonder if they used that diagnostic plug on the intake.
For the sake of Runner's cash, I hope so... If not, I'd be happy to start a "diagnostic check" service for say, $20 a pop?

What's on that diag port anyway? is it basically just a break-out to watch things like cam/crank sensors and the like?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall

What's on that diag port anyway? is it basically just a break-out to watch things like cam/crank sensors and the like?
Not sure, but Jasond would know.