Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what makes a TRD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what makes a TRD?

my buddy told me that i need to get some TRD stickers to put on the side of my truck. (he has a zr2 blazer, by the way). i told him that i wouldn't do it until i put some TRD products on my vehicle. it's bugs the crap out of me when people put craploads of random stickers on their vehicles without actually having the product. for example, a civic putting a NOS sticker without actually having the nitrous product (which i imagine about 99% of the time is the case). SOOOOO, i WON'T do it until it officially has TRD stuff in it. my question: what makes it a TRD? what can i put on my truck to make it a TRD so i can get the decals and put them on?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

The "TRD Off-Road" decals are really only for the TRD Tacoma and TRD Tundra. The TRD Tacoma comes with a rear locker and Bilstien shocks. The TRD Tundra comes with Bilstien shocks and a limited slip diff. That's what the decals are for.

But having said that, when I had my TRD supercharger and TRD cat-back in my 2000 4Runner, I put the "TRD All-Terrain" decals on. So I guess it really boils down to what TRD products you feel warrent such a decal. I certainly think a supercharger qualifies. But if you feel you can justify it, then go for it - if thats the look you want. I've seen a picture of a Honda with a TRD decal on it... What a fool! (big surprise there, aye?)

I don't have any TRD products on my Tacoma right now, but I do have the TTORA decals on because I am a member.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:49 PM

Our TRD Tundra only has the bilstein shocks. Nothing else. Unless the "TRD" also meant the all-terrain tires and fender flares... :-P but I've seen stock tundras with my fender flares, so...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gene
But having said that, when I had my TRD supercharger and cat-back, I put the "TRD All-Terrain" decals on. So I guess it really boils down to what TRD products you feel warrent such a decal. I certainly think a supercharger qualifies. But if you feel you can justify it, then go for it if thats the look you want.
they don't have any TRD 4runners? hmmmmm. well, i think that if i am able to put TRD products on my runner, then i'd still do it. kinda like if i swapped my vvtl-i in my celica with a (god forbid) a v-tec, i might put the v-tec stickers on it. but if it was within the same company (say, vvt-i to a vvtl-i), i'd do it for sure. that's my point though, i do NOT want to do it for the look. i want to do it only if i have the products. which is why i was asking which products do you guys think would qualify.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ayoung101
they don't have any TRD 4runners?
No such thing as an "official" TRD 4Runner. I have heard of some dealerships building up a third gen and putting TRD decals on it, other than that, it's pretty much been people doing mods and putting the decals on.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SBeckner80
Our TRD Tundra only has the bilstein shocks. Nothing else. Unless the "TRD" also meant the all-terrain tires and fender flares... :-P but I've seen stock tundras with my fender flares, so...
You also have a limited slip differential in the back. To my knowledge (which I'll admit is limited when it comes to the Tundra) the TRD Tundra come with Bilstiens and LSD. I've looked (and drooled) over plenty of them so I'm pretty sure this is correct. I'd check your sticker or users manual because you really need to understand how a LSD can affect your driving!

And yeah, I think the fender flares, though availible on all models as an option, are part of the TRD packages.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:07 PM

You also have a limited slip differential in the back. To my knowledge (which I'll admit is limited when it comes to the Tundra) the TRD Tundra come with Bilstiens and LSD. I've looked (and drooled) over plenty of them so I'm pretty sure this is correct. I'd check your sticker or users manual because you really need to understand how a LSD can affect your driving!

And yeah, I think the fender flares, though availible on all models as an option, are part of the TRD packages.
Yea, I forgot that LSD isn't standard equipment I do wish we knew that 02 was going to have a locker out back... grr
Old 04-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Just got this from the Toyota web site:

TRD Tundra
"TRD Off-Road Package -- includes off-road-tuned suspension, Bilstein® shock absorbers, 16" 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich tires, color-keyed fender flares with integrated mudguards and fog lamps"

TRD Sport Package (4x2 models)
"Includes tuned coil springs, tuned Tokico shock absorbers, heavy-duty rear stabilizer bar, limited-slip differential, 17" split 5-spoke graphite-toned aluminum alloy wheels with P265/65R17 tires and fog lamps"

Interesting! The LSD used to be on the 4x4 and now it's on the sport model. Hmmm... That must be new for 2004 because I looked at some 03 and this was not the case. Interesting!
Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM

Just got this from the Toyota web site:

TRD Tundra
"TRD Off-Road Package -- includes off-road-tuned suspension, Bilstein® shock absorbers, 16" 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich tires, color-keyed fender flares with integrated mudguards and fog lamps"

TRD Sport Package (4x2 models)
"Includes tuned coil springs, tuned Tokico shock absorbers, heavy-duty rear stabilizer bar, limited-slip differential, 17" split 5-spoke graphite-toned aluminum alloy wheels with P265/65R17 tires and fog lamps"

Interesting! The LSD used to be on the 4x4 and now it's on the sport model. Hmmm... That must be new for 2004 because I looked at some 03 and this was not the case. Interesting!
Uh... the locking rear diff isn't standard on the 4x4 TRD anymore? As of 2002 I thought it WAS... or was it always a TRD 'option'?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

This is the Tundra. And it's news to me too!

I don't know to be honest. I didn't know enough when I first look at them in 2000. But I know they (TRD Tundra) at least had the LSD in 2003!

The TRD Tacoma's have the lockers.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:32 PM
zesty

This is the Tundra. And it's news to me too!

I don't know to be honest. I didn't know enough when I first look at them in 2000. But I know they (TRD Tundra) at least had the LSD in 2003!

The TRD Tacoma's have the lockers.
Gene, the TRD Tundras come with the oversized flares, the suspension and the crappy BFG tires. The LSD is a seperate option. You can get it with or without the TRD package. The LSD wasn't even available until 02. My Dad bought a 02 Tundra in December 01 and the TRD package is listed totally seperate from the LSD on the window sticker.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Even tho' it seems that alot of people that "TRD" sticker their Runners,I've yet to see another in person and I live in a state where 4Runners are everywhere. I did the Bilstiens so I figured that would help me with my guilt over having a TRD sticker on my Runner plus with so many Toyotas here in just the Denver area I needed a little *bling* plus it draws looks from other Toyota truck owners.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Josh
Gene, the TRD Tundras come with the oversized flares, the suspension and the crappy BFG tires. The LSD is a seperate option. You can get it with or without the TRD package. The LSD wasn't even available until 02. My Dad bought a 02 Tundra in December 01 and the TRD package is listed totally seperate from the LSD on the window sticker.
Hmmm... Again, interesting. Every TRD Tundra I looked at had an LSD. I guess that may reflect a popularity for this region. The info I posted from the Toyota web site was regarding the 2004 Tundra.

I drove about a dozen Tundra's because I was set on buying one. Toward the end of the day, my wife and daughter were tired and decided to sit out the last couple of test drives. When I finally found the one I wanted, I happily when into the showroom to take them out to see it. It was a beauty! But little did I know that they had been sitting there looking at a 2000 4Runner. Since the rear seats in the Tundra SUCK so bad, and I have two children, they were able to talk me into buying the 4Runner. I don't regret it in the least. Anyway, I digress...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 AM

No such thing as an "official" TRD 4Runner. I have heard of some dealerships building up a third gen and putting TRD decals on it, other than that, it's pretty much been people doing mods and putting the decals on.
Correct:

When I was looking to buy mine in 2000, the TRD 4 Runners were offered at one of the local "certified" TRD dealers. They were dealer supplied TRD packaged...not from the motherland.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

I put the TRD stickers on along with the stickers I got with the S/C. I always get the question "is that really supercharged?"

Old 04-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoung101
they don't have any TRD 4runners? hmmmmm. well, i think that if i am able to put TRD products on my runner, then i'd still do it. kinda like if i swapped my vvtl-i in my celica with a (god forbid) a v-tec, i might put the v-tec stickers on it. but if it was within the same company (say, vvt-i to a vvtl-i), i'd do it for sure. that's my point though, i do NOT want to do it for the look. i want to do it only if i have the products. which is why i was asking which products do you guys think would qualify.
I have a first gen too, and i think asside from shift knobs, and junk like that, the only TRD products made for a first gen are oil filters, air filters, and cam shafts. I could be wrong, it may be piston rods too, but i could be wrong, they may make a bunch of products. That is just what i heard from a guy at a Toy dealership.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner equipped with the factory rear locker & I have every single TRD performance product upgrade possible for my truck as you can see on my signature... I guess that should qualify my truck as a TRD 4Runner...

Last edited by Noliwan; 11-26-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:34 PM

this may be off topic, but does anyone make performace parts for the 22R/22RE?

Not asking for my 81, Ill proble get another 22 motor in the next yota truck I buy when I trade in the 250.

Last edited by Mudfreak; 11-25-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Should I get rid of the Type R sticker on my rig?
I thought Type R was a Toyota thing.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you get trd products for any toyota now, or they just for trd manufactured vehicles? i'd like to get some trd products for my truck.

Quick Reply: what makes a TRD?