Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for

I'm going next Saturday to check out a 99 tacoma. What are things I should inspect? Other than your average blow by, etc it will be my first Tacoma. Don't know what are tacomas are notorious for. Any input would be great!
Old 05-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Check out the frame extremely close. There was a frame recall. Toyota replaced some frames and bought back some trucks
Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll want to check under it for rust for sure. Check the areas where water and other road trash would be thrown up under the body like under the doors and behind the bumpers. Drive it pretty hard and see how it shifts out. Put it in all modes of 4WD and diff lock if equipped. Ask about maintenance and when the timing belt was last changed.

I like to check out the magnetic drain plugs in the rear end and whatever other plugs you feel comfortable pulling just to be sure. You mentioned any notorious issues. I know on 4Runners of that generation, there have been some issues with the rear axle seals leaking into the rear brake drums. Ask him for a cold start up. That means that the truck will have been dead for several hours or overnight before you get there to run it. Put your hand on the block to be sure that it actually is cold. Press the brake pedal down tight, start it and feel for any resistance when you release the pedal. The rear drums will tend to stick when there is axle oil leaked into them. They will be sticky for a while until they have grabbed and then released a few times. After that, they will feel normal. If they feel sticky, ask to pull a rear wheel and drum to check for leaking axle oil.

Post us some details of the deal and we will be better able to tell you what to be looking for. A 99 with 300K miles will have different things to look for than would a 99 with 150K miles. Post the asking price as well.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just remember it is so easy to be overcome with the lust of buying something you want it does not need to be this one

Looking at a used vehicle you really don`t know is like buying a used welder and having no idea how to weld something might not be right but is glossed over by the seller either by intent or they just are clueless

It all comes down to where the truck lives.

How it was treated to the great majority it was used to haul something from point A to B put fuel in change the oil at the quicky mart.

Some people can trash any vehicle in a year let alone 18

Just look for things that look out of place .

If you have access to a code reader take that if none of the tests are run the codes where just cleared might be for a good reason like a battery change.

Your going to end up putting money in always some areas of maintenance get neglected

Lets not forget the Lower Ball Joints which can be a problem if the mileage is getting up there.

Last edited by wyoming9; 05-13-2017 at 01:33 AM.