Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What kind of spark plug do you use? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of spark plug do you use? Why?

Getting ready to do some work on my 2001 Tacoma Double cab. I currently am running Bosch Platinum +4 and have been happy with them, however have started to look at the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusions since I will be changing them out anyway.

What plugs is everyone using? Standard criteria apply, gas mileage, horsepower, starting, etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Baloo
currently am running Bosch Platinum +4 .
NO!!!!!! get those pos out of there asap and use factory denso plugs or ngk
Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dump the bosch junk (search and see why we call them junk) and buy NGK or denso plugs and wires.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Holy smokes Baloo, put on your flame suit.

Don't use Bosch plugs in there.....EVER.
OEM Densos, NGKs still work the best for regular maintenance intervals.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Holy smokes Baloo, put on your flame suit.

Don't use Bosch plugs in there.....EVER.
OEM Densos, NGKs still work the best for regular maintenance intervals.
Geez! OK guys, I got to tell you. I have used Bosch for quite sometime, both street and racing (oval) so you're attempting to change a whole culture here. I will do some searching of the threads.

I know I opened this can of worms, however I need a little more than "They're crap". These have been in for quite some time and have worked well. I'll do some searching.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

I know I opened this can of worms, however I need a little more than "They're crap". These have been in for quite some time and have worked well. I'll do some searching.
This should help:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/why-shouldnt-i-use-platinum-plugs-82295/
Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just dont use them in a toyota
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Bosch makes a fine product, but they are way better suited to European vehicles. Makes sense, since it is a European company.

Similarly, our Toyotas prefer Japanese designed NGKs or Densos.

Just different design philosophies, hence you are better off going with styles that your vehicle was designed for.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elton
NO!!!!!! get those pos out of there asap and use factory denso plugs or ngk
Yup, bosch sucks.
I always buy the orginal factory plugs.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Getting ready to do some work on my 2001 Tacoma Double cab. I currently am running Bosch Platinum +4 and have been happy with them, however have started to look at the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusions since I will be changing them out anyway.

What plugs is everyone using? Standard criteria apply, gas mileage, horsepower, starting, etc.

bosh sucks ass read the posts about them... strictly use ngk or denso (preferably densos) you can get the regular ones for 20$ or you can spend 60$ for the irridiums.. i have the 02 extra cab and i just put regular duel electrode denso plugs in mine for 20$.. they come from yota with either densos or ngks... dont put any other kind PERIOD! get the plugs at a yota dealership and quit ÅÅÅÅing up your truck with bosch bull ÅÅÅÅ hahaha hope that was nice enough
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM

NGK'S all the way.

Why? I've used them in snowmobile 2 cycle engines for years, with very little to nothing at all, plug fouling.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 AM

The problem is also the fact that the spark is positioned between multiple metal ground electrodes and it is bad news. I know many auto parts and shops that will not carry or install any of the multiple ground electrode plugs.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Geez! OK guys, I got to tell you. I have used Bosch for quite sometime, both street and racing (oval) so you're attempting to change a whole culture here. I will do some searching of the threads.

defintely search.
i installed before i joined here too.
i think im the only other person to admit using bosch in the runner, got ~30k mi on them, +2 but w/ similiar results to you, i also think the +4 are useless in anything, esp carbed.
that said i have NGK waiting for the tune-up.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Denso Iridiums...why becasue they sound cool.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I looked around and while I still can not see any compelling evidence, even some contradictary, as well as the fact that my experience has been different from you all responding here I am willing to bow to the experiences of the group. Especially since I asked. However I will state that from some of the responses here and in the other threads cited, it looks more of a religious thing than anything else.

Now, and this seems as much a debate as anything, which plug? Single or dual? Not really clear on the "grounded" part of the other discussion, but don't think that comes into play here.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I chose NGK power, convincing enough argument in thier design, for me. I am currently upgrading my entire ignition system to ACCEL. I will be getting the u-groove plugs they offer. I have the 8mm super-stock wires installed already. Good stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

You shouldn't use the Bosch platinum plugs in your Toyota 3.4 for one specific reason- it has to do with the use of a "waste-spark ignition system" in 3.4 V-6 engines.

Here ya go:

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/e...boschplat.html

Originally Posted by Debunking the Myths & Legends: Bosch Platinum
I will now attempt to debunk for you the myths and legends surrounding Bosch Platinum spark plugs:

Bosch acknowledges a problem with using their Bosch Platinum spark plugs in engines with ignition systems that employ 1 coil for each pair of spark plugs (also known as a "waste spark ignition system"). In cars with conventional (1 coil, distributor/rotor) ignition systems (including the 850 Turbo with Bosch 4.3, 4.4 engine mgmt systems), there is no problem. In fact, not too surprisingly, according to Bosch, the maker of the 850's engine management system, the recommended plug is the Bosch Platinum FR7DP, which is what passed with flying colors my tests-under-fire in my engine (see for yourself).

The problem that Bosch has acknowledged when using their Platinum plugs in engines with waste spark ignition systems stems from the tendency of electrode metal to get transferred depending upon the polarity (direction of current flow) of the spark. In waste spark ignition systems, 1/2 of the plugs always see reverse polarity sparks. Given the very narrow platinum center electrode of the Bosch Platinums, performance will be degraded more significantly when reverse polarity sparks will cause material to be transferred from the large ground/outer electrode onto the narrow platinum center electrode's exposed end surface.

In cars with conventional (1 coil) ignition systems, every spark is of the same polarity, for which the Bosch Platinums are optimized, leaving them to deliver their designed-in advantages, which include:

- reaching self-cleaning temperature faster ("than any other plug")

- maintaining the spark gap and low firing voltage requirement throughout their service life. (even in my high-stress turbocharged application)

Last edited by mastacox; 02-27-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Atta boy Brian.
Our rigs love OEM plugs and wires, and not Bosch, and now you actually have something to go on thanks to Brian.
I think you owe him a hug...
although he may prefer beer.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Had the Bosch Platinums for a long time in my 2.7. I recently was admonished by an independent Toyota shop for having done so, and have since replaced them with Densos. Making the change after thousands and thousands of miles with the Bosch's, I've noticed no difference whatsoever in performance or mileage. It runs like a top, just like it did before.

That being said, I'm sold on the Denso's. If Toyota recommends them, and many other Toyota owners recognize that fact and are so adamant, and I notice no performance changes, why go against the Toyota spec?

And on a more gut feeling, non-scientific argument, what's REALLY the point of having 4 electrodes? A spark is a spark is a spark. Holding 4 lit matches under the same spot of a piece of paper causes the paper to ignite just as quickly and eventually burn just as thoroughly as using a single match. And if the designer of the fireplace says to only use one match, that's what I'm gonna do. We should probably all do the same.

How's that for a lousy analogy?

Last edited by jdsdj98; 02-27-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM

i was going 2 school 2 b a mechanic and my teacher told us that 4 electrodes wont make any difference.....bosch just does it because they started making them first and no one else did and people that dont no anything about cars will buy them....its a easy way to make more money.....i tryed bosch in my truck and it ran worse then it did with the ngks that were used and had been in to 3months while not driven and were oil gunked....got new ngks and ran better...

i threw away 2week old boschs

Quick Reply: What kind of spark plug do you use? Why?