Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What is a good pick for my first truck/SUV?? Mainly between the 60-ser. LC & 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a good pick for my first truck/SUV?? Mainly between the 60-ser. LC & 4runner

I'm still in highschool, but I should have my license within the next 4 months (whenever i feel like taking the test) and I want to get a truck/SUV, but before I do I need to pick the perfect one, and i've done a TON of research on 1st and 2nd gen 4runners, and 2nd and 3rd gen extracab pickups, and in my search for informaiton i've run across the Lant Cruiser. Now, once again, i'm stumped.

I like pickups because of their versatility in terms of carrying things, and their good view out of the cab, the one time i drove a pickup i liked the ample view out the back window..but that's not a neccecity.

I like 4runners because the 1st gen has the convertable ability, and both gens have ample space for cargo, and people. and unlike a truck, you can keep your stuff clean and sheltered from the elements without a camper shell. (which to me seem like they would be eaiser to break into un-noticably than the rear or an SUV would be)

I like 60-series Land Cruisers because i've seen pictures of them off-road and the solid axle seems to be a definate advantage to their capability... but i'm not sure how good. from what i've seen they appear to flex very well in stock form...
LC's are also bigger, so they could probably hold more stuff, would be more roomy, and not so small compared to other large vehicles. Possibly a bit safer than the smaller 4runner counterpart...but maybe not. LC's also held the SA longer into their lineup, and the 4runner eliminated it clear back in 85 - a year too old for my parents approval...

Ride quality isn't too much of an issue...i don't want rock hard or squishy soft, i like stability because roll in turns bugs me a bit (i drive a Nissian Quest as of now...seems very tipsy and requires slow driving if you dont want to scare the crap out of yourself)

But anyhow, they seem like they'd be stiff enough but at the same time smooth riding....as i understand the 60-series was made like it is--wide, to provide a good ride quality and to aide in stability from side-to-side; in other countries people commonly load(ed) the tops with luggage, fuel canisters and such, and needed a truck that wouldn't tip over when loaded to the brim and above with supplies.

I would mainly be using this vehicle to get to school, into town and around my area to do stuff like visit friends, play with our band, get groceries, and during the summer...get to my job (dunno what that will be yet). I also plan to get into a local offroading club and i would love to travel and go places offroad, it's something i would love to do and i have made it a life goal... I just want to start out good, and since every truck i seem to want is fairly cheap, i might as well pick the perfect one before i buy. I know I will be using it to haul things such as my RC truck and supplies (big 1/10th scale nitro with a large bag full of RC stuff i need), my guitars and amps, trombone, and backpack. This is why i consider the 4runner or LC a better choice...i have a lot of valuable stuff that a SUV would help in protecting.

Can anyone help me in this decision, or give me thoughts on 60-series Land Cruisers? I mainly need more info on them, nto the 4runner - but i would like first-hand comparisons people have such as driving characteristics or any comparable experiance with 1st and 2nd gen 4runner.

I saw a 60-series LC for sale in my town and I they look nice, probably a bit slow, but nice and seeing the bright for-sale sign made me anxious to learn more about them....
Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Id get a 1st gen 4runner. WHY??

- Low insurance premiums

- good fuel economy when properly tuned.

- Affordable as your first truck.

= )
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
Id get a 1st gen 4runner. WHY??

- Low insurance premiums

- good fuel economy when properly tuned.

- Affordable as your first truck.

= )
I'll have to agree with kevin, get ya a first gen with 22, and you'll have a blast
Old 03-01-2005, 08:29 PM

how bad is the LC on gas?? i'd probably end up with a model in the years between 86 and 89 if i did get one...anything else is too old, looks funny, or is too expensive.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:53 PM

LC's will be more of gas guzzlers than the 4runners, for sure. Personally I wouldn't get an LC unless it was a FZJ-80 (1993-1997 or 98?). I vote for a 2nd Gen 4runner, with the 22re 4-cylinder. It can make as much power as the V6 in the 2nd gens, and do it more reliably, and while getting better gas mileage. I would also recommend getting a 5-speed manual in whatever you get. I think there's a lot of aesthetic and egonomic improvements between the 1st and 2nd Gen Runners, especially since you aren't buying one old enough to have a SFA. The SFA is pretty much the only reason I would even consider a 1st Gen. Hope I didn't offend anyone, they just aren't my cup o' tea. The removable top is slick, but Hope that helps
Old 03-01-2005, 09:02 PM

I just really like the way the LC's look, i saw a pic of a nice green one a while back and fell in love..... so you guys think it would be impractical??

what's the common street price for a good used one?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

theres an older one on ebay right now
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM

k i'll have a look....

I know they would be a bit hard on gas....but could it really be that bad? a teacher at my school drives a nice blue one... looks stock, i peeked in it one day...they have a lot of space to work with...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...531399824&rd=1

now that....it's not the newest one, but its nice, well kept, and no rust to speak off... and it's a....4 speed.... boy thats odd to say....

would that be revving pretty high on the freeway or does this thing have really low gearing and a strong engine.......?