Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what do you think about THIS???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you think about THIS???

well as you might know i've been looking for an older 4runner/truck/whatever toyota with a sold axle to turn into a trail rig. looked at a few the other day, and they were all #$%! except a nice FJ-40.

its a 72, lifted, with almost new 36" swampers. it has a NEW 350 in it. the frame has no rust, same with the body. its a dark green and has a bikini top. $2500. when i first saw it i didn't look at it very hard, but i think im going down tomorrow to look again, and maybe get it.

what do you guys think about a 350 in there? can the tranny/drivetrain handle it? the guy said he has broken an axle or two. gas mileage will suck too... what did these have originally for an engine? would you say they are better offroad than SA 4runners? any opinions or tips on what to look for on one of these would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 AM

would have originally had an F engine and probably a 4 speed maybe 3 speed tranny. They switched right around that year I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if the 350 got better mileage.

If the original axles are under it then i think it has those nasty early 40 course spline axles and 4 wheel drums if it hasn't been converted. Those axles are garbage.

In stock trim I would give the 85 4Runner the advantage but its not like it matters. Real rigs are built, not bought. If you like this one buy it. Anything wrong with it you can fix. The axles can be converted with little effort...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

If it is as good as it sounds, than that seems to be a pretty good deal. Friends of mine just sold an FJ-40 for $8,000. I think it was a bit newer, but it didn't have a new V-8 swap, lift, tires or any of that stuff. The stock engines in those were I-6. There were 2 different engines. I think the earlier one was a 3.6 I-6 and the later a 4.2 I-6 (not sure on those displacements thought, but I think that is right)

Anyways, that's my little bit on that.
Have fun. DH6twinotter
Old 01-26-2004, 06:10 AM

well thanks for the input guys. im headin down right now to take a second look at it with my dad, and if everything works out right we will put some money down on it and then pick it up in the next few days.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:46 AM

A 72 FJ-40 had a straight 6 and 3spd. manual tranny stock. Unless you "get on it" every chance you get, gas mileage should be pretty close to what a stock FJ would get. If you want better fuel economy, swap in a 5 spd. man. from a newer chevy. (I know, I know.....) Ive read where guys are claiming 18 and 19 mpg at highway speeds. (w/ the 5 spd.) What I'd like to do someday, is build an FJ w/ a fiberglass tub and a 3.4 L Toyota engine and 5 spd. Maybe a nice super charger..............

Last edited by 1Runner; 01-26-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 PM

2500 dolars........ where the heck is this thing man......... i will pick it up...... turn around and sell it on ebay and pick up 5 grand in profit!! HOLY COW!! GET ON THAT!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:03 PM

man, where is this thing....... ill go get it right now!

you snooze your loose man!! GET ON IT!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:40 AM

i think it has a 5 speed.

i dont know if i am going to get it anymore. what i really want is a 4runner, and i dont really have the money for it. we'll see what happens though, i might still pick it up.

found a 4Runner for sale and im waiting for some info on that before i further consider the fj.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 AM

fjs are a pretty harsh mobile. If you want something for offroad capabilty and toughness the fj is great. Fully convertible,softtop,hardtop, pretty cool vehicle but lacks in creature comforts. The 4runners are so much more civilized.
I had a 72 fj 40 for about 2 years and after 2 years i had enough. They are pretty small inside and you cant fit much stuff in the back. Definitely a great vehicle for the bush.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:31 PM

yeah i was thinking a runner might be a little more practical. it can fit more cargo, people, whatever, better mileage, better approach angle. those front leaf hangers come down really low! that is what i really did not like about the fj. looks like they would get hung up easily.

i would love to build something up myself. but i dont have the money, time, or all the tools, and my skills are limited. if i find a stock truck in good condition for a good price i would pick it up. for now i think it would be best for me to get a rig that is already built. later when (if) i have what's needed, ill build my own.

the fj seems to be a great deal though. im still trying to decide if i should get it or not... might look at it again this weekend. ill keep you updated and maybe get some pics. thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Rowan,

I'm in the same boat, been looking for a decent trail rig for a couple months now. Just to add to the good advice you've already received, let me add my .02's. I think that pre-1975 FJ's lacked powersteering as well, so you're looking at extra work to add on Saginaw steering (I think that's the route most people take). The 350 swap seems to be pretty common for the FJ's, althought the stock I-6 is supposed to be a real torque monster and does great on trails (also, I think Marlin makes crawler cases for the I-6 transmission?). Also, since its likely to be a carb'ed v8, you may run into issues when on offcamber terrain. So....an 85 4runner with a solid axle and EFI may be the way to go...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 PM

Re: what do you think about THIS???

Originally posted by rowan
$2500. when i first saw it
What are you waiting for?!?! I'm sure he'll take $2,000 cash for it on the spot as well

I don't think you'll lose anything by getting it. Get it, drive/4 wheel it, and you may fall in love with it, or in the worst case scenario if you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it without losing any money (who knows somebody could pay you a lot more that $2500 for it too)
Old 01-28-2004, 06:08 AM
CTB

Ya, I would jump on that cruiser in a heart beat. I paid $2000 for my '79 FJ40, but it sounds like the one you found is in better shape. I can't wait to get working on rebuilding mine.

Now, if I could just get it down here from PA....:pat:
Old 01-28-2004, 06:46 PM

well today i talked to a friend of my sister's. he has a 85 4runner, sr5 so it has pw/pl etc, EFI, got a 5.5" lift or so, 33s, sliders, 4.88s, engine was rebuilt 50k ago, has 180k on the truck. he's also asking $2500. pretty much exactly what i was looking for. it needs a few things, but he has all the parts. clutch, and the rear has 4.10s in it right now (he has 4.88s to go in). he said it needs longer break lines if its going to be flexed at all (which it would be!!!). this rig sounds like a good deal too.

juggalo - the guy with the fj said he "wouldn't take a $#@!ing penny less" than 2500. still a good price.

mad chemist - we are thinking in the same way i think. it is carbed, and does need power steering.

there are a couple of reasons im not buying it right away. 1. i dont have the money, so i have been trying to borrow some from the folks. (my dad is more into the runner, doesn't like the 350) 2. what i really want is a 85 runner SR5 EFI. and thats what i just found so... 3. although a 350 would be fun, a 2.4 is way more practical. 4. the fj has such a @#$@ty approach angle. the leaf spring hangers hang at about the center of the wheel, or lower, and stick out at least a foot. 4runners have awesome approach angles... .. those are just a few reasons, i could go on.

its a tough choice and im still trying to decide what i want. the fj is a good deal, and as juggalo said i could always resell it. i should get some pics of the runner in a few days so ill post those up. thanks again for all the replies.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Rowan,

Sounds like you've thought it out pretty good. I've found a few other FJ-40's that I want to look at, but newer ('75) that seem to be in pretty good shape. The FJ's just look so damn cool! So, I may end up spending alot more money on an FJ....guess we'll have to wait and see what happens!