Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

well - WELL what the heck!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well - WELL what the heck!!

So I change all my fluids, rear diff, front diff, and transfer case and I'm ready to hit the trails - allright fly through some muddy water - super deep in some places over the wheel wells etc! the car is practically floating across some of these water/mud pits get home hose down the rig....

So then I'm browsing yotatech like a good noob and reading all the diff breather posts I find out that I probably sucked water into my friggin differential because it sits 6 inches off the stupid ground and was in water 8 times that plenty of times in two hours....

What the heck! so now do I need to go change my diff fluid all over again?

ohhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn

I mean what happened to the good old days where you could just drive your truck through some deep mud puddles without your entire rig falling apart!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oops... You should definitely check the rear. I think the front already has a breather on it.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

oh and by the way my truck was making some REAL wierd noises when it came out of a couple of the deeper streches of water
Old 11-30-2004, 04:35 PM

if the water was up to the wheel wells.. you mean.. like the top of it?? i would be interested in checking the transmission/transfercase fluids aswell!

thats some pretty deep water for a stock truck.

I think a good rule of thumb might be, if it exceeds the height of your tire, its not really worth it.

if your trucks all modded with breathers and a snorkel thats a different story but even then i'd be checkin the fluids crossing stretches that deep, i'd be intersted in maybe waterproofing the computer? Is it low like on the hilux trucks?

I had a 92 and was really worried about soaking the computer on trips. is it in the same position on the tacomas?

Last edited by boyzWidToyz; 11-30-2004 at 04:37 PM. Reason: cause i want to add to it
Old 11-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by boyzWidToyz
if the water was up to the wheel wells.. you mean.. like the top of it?? i would be interested in checking the transmission/transfercase fluids aswell!

thats some pretty deep water for a stock truck.

I think a good rule of thumb might be, if it exceeds the height of your tire, its not really worth it.

Yup - well I am an idiot - I seriously think I am makin up for all the lost time driving a 90 Buick Century Wagon, and a 96 Dodge Caravan - I gotta slow down.

The screeching/squealing noises coming out of some of the deeper streches were maybe wheel bearings? belts? oh man I can just picture myself on nice leisurly trip to grab some coffee in the morning and my whole truck just freaking exploding!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Yup - well I am an idiot - I seriously think I am makin up for all the lost time driving a 90 Buick Century Wagon, and a 96 Dodge Caravan - I gotta slow down.

The screeching/squealing noises coming out of some of the deeper streches were maybe wheel bearings? belts? oh man I can just picture myself on nice leisurly trip to grab some coffee in the morning and my whole truck just freaking exploding!
don't go draining your diffs just yet, just take out the fill plug, and if the oil is not white, and is about the same color that it was when you put in in, then your OK, and the grinding noise is just dirt/sand stuck between your front brake pads and rotors, Ive had it happen to me lots of times after going through deep mud/water, the worst thing that will happen is your rotors will get scored slightly
Old 11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

ahhhh - superjoe you rock thanks man - I'm truely a moron here (I drove a minivan - a totally sweet minivan - but still a minivan - and let me just say for the reocord that thank heaven that I didnt start this post on Pirate)

so white or "chocolate milkshake' colors are bad for my diff fluids correct?

Last edited by GodwinAustin; 11-30-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
so white or "chocolate milkshake' colors are bad for my diff fluids correct?
yes they are, i have dunked my taco's rear diff in water numerous times and i never got any water in it, i will bet that you will be OK, f.y.i. the front diff in the tacos have a extended breather from the factory, so the rear is the only thing to worry about