Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Weird Rear End Movement when off gas?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM
wcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird Rear End Movement when off gas?

Sorry, I know this is my first post but time is of the essence at this point. I couldn't figure out why the rear end gets all loose on the HWY when I lift so I took it into the local Toyota Dealership. They haven't been able to figure it out either and now it's going on week two. So if there's any ideas or tips I can pass along to them I would greatly appreciate it. I need my truck back! After this post I'll start my advance search but if someone knows of an old thread worth reading please let me know.

History - It was fine pulling my 17ft boat a long distance. On my way home it was fine for some of the drive then it got weird. Like a switch went off.
So basically the issue is most noticeable when I'm driving hwy speeds ~75mph (with or without the boat) and let off the gas the rear end gets really loose and wants to swing to the right and points the truck left. But getting back on the gas will straighten it back out.

What's been try/tested afaik:
New shocks all the way around
New wheels and tires
Alignment checked
Different drive shaft
All suspension connections/mounts checked for play

Last edited by wcc; 09-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM

that sounds like an internal problem if uve changed all that, drain the fluid and pull the inspection cover off the rear end and see if anything looks abnormal
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM
wcc

Yes, that makes sense as I could see the PS rear tire still having pressure applied when off the gas and the rear DS tire not having pressure so that PS rear tire pushes a moment causing that 'feeling'. Worth a look.

Any other thoughts/ideas/checks is greatly appreciated...
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
wcc

Now you got me thinking... My son likes to sit in the drivers seat and pretend to drive. I wonder if he turned on or bumped the rear diff lock button just left of the steering wheel to the 'on' position. Or maybe that switch function is faulty. Does anyone think that could be causing the issue?

The truck is a good 30min away for me to just run out and check. But I will pass that word as well. Maybe it's something stupid simple like that.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
that sounds like an internal problem if uve changed all that, drain the fluid and pull the inspection cover off the rear end and see if anything looks abnormal
Pull the inspection cover? What?

Originally Posted by wcc
Now you got me thinking... My son likes to sit in the drivers seat and pretend to drive. I wonder if he turned on or bumped the rear diff lock button just left of the steering wheel to the 'on' position. Or maybe that switch function is faulty. Does anyone think that could be causing the issue?

The truck is a good 30min away for me to just run out and check. But I will pass that word as well. Maybe it's something stupid simple like that.

Unless you've done the grey wire (or blue wire) full time locker mod, there's no way he could have engaged it while the car wasn't in 4WD low.

Also, if it was on, you'd see the "RR DIFF LOCK" light on the dash.

However, my truck does the same thing when I get on and off the gas, but I have a lockright auto locker that turns on when torque is applied (on the gas) and off when torque isn't applied (off the gas).

Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Yeah scuba he has the special inspection cover, very very rare.

Start by telling us what kind of truck/4runner you have.

Sounds like a panhard bar bushing...assuming you have a 4runner.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 AM
wcc

I edited my signature but it's not showing. I'll work on that.

Anyways, the truck in question is a 1998 4Runner Limited 4x4 with the locking diff. Also, no mods at all, completly stock.

I asked them about bushings and they said no excessive movement. But I will pass on that panhard bar bushing idea to them today as well to check. Thanks!

Scuba - I didn't see any dash lights on and now I remember what you are talking about. It's been off road very few times so that function doesn't get used much so I forget. But do you think it's possible for it to be malfunctioning to the point it is essentially turned on?

What about a brake/parking brake hanging up or dragging? Just thinking out loud at this point...

Last edited by wcc; 09-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Your son could not have turned the locker on inless the truck was engaged in 4LOW.

Its one or more of the many bushings in the rear links.

I have hiemed links in back of mine, and they are all worn out, and it does what you are describing.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
gk5

Originally Posted by wcc
Sorry, I know this is my first post but time is of the essence at this point. I couldn't figure out why the rear end gets all loose on the HWY when I lift so I took it into the local Toyota Dealership. They haven't been able to figure it out either and now it's going on week two. So if there's any ideas or tips I can pass along to them I would greatly appreciate it. I need my truck back! After this post I'll start my advance search but if someone knows of an old thread worth reading please let me know.

History - It was fine pulling my 17ft boat a long distance. On my way home it was fine for some of the drive then it got weird. Like a switch went off.
So basically the issue is most noticeable when I'm driving hwy speeds ~75mph (with or without the boat) and let off the gas the rear end gets really loose and wants to swing to the right and points the truck left. But getting back on the gas will straighten it back out.

What's been try/tested afaik:
New shocks all the way around
New wheels and tires
Alignment checked
Different drive shaft
All suspension connections/mounts checked for play
Would you call a mechanic and tell him to fix your car without saying what kind of car it is ? Why would you post this without telling us what vehicle you have?

Since you later stated you have a 4runner then I would check the link bushings and panhard bushings.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
wcc

Originally Posted by gk5
Would you call a mechanic and tell him to fix your car without saying what kind of car it is ? Why would you post this without telling us what vehicle you have?

Since you later stated you have a 4runner then I would check the link bushings and panhard bushings.
Well no, but lighten up nancy! LOL. I created a signature right after my post which it showed what I drive. It should have automatically added it to my posts but noooo... Now I see it added it to a couple posts but I don't know why it's not putting it on all my posts, yet. Maybe I got it fixed now..

I gave the dealer a short list of things to check first thing this morning and they said that there was a worn out bushing that they didn't notice earlier. So they ordered a new bar with bushings on it and it'll come in and be installed tomorrow morning. So I'm hoping that's all there to it so stay tuned...
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM

All fixed?

Bill,
Did the replacement bar/bushing fix your problem?
Specifically what bar was replaced? (rear link lower? rear link upper? panhard?)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
wcc

Sorry I didn't follow up... But yes the problem is fixed. It was the PS horizontal bar with bushings that mounts from the axle to the mount on the body. Thanks for everyone's help and tips!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:01 PM

still unclear......

WCC,
Maybe it's just me..... I'm still not clear what part you had replaced that resolved your wander-issue.

What the heck is a "PS Horizontal Bar"?

Maybe you can describe the bar that was replaced and it's location
as mounted?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
le sigh....
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 PM

the panhard bar that goes from frame rail to the axle.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Yeah scuba he has the special inspection cover, very very rare.

Sounds like a panhard bar bushing...assuming you have a 4runner.
same here - i have this looseness also - fixed by panhard bushings replacement- it's hard to ceheck while it is installed...you have to remove them.