Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WeekendReport: FINALLY, a deckplate

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WeekendReport: FINALLY, a deckplate

After almost 3 full years of trying to find an airbox for less than 300 dollars (thanks again, Humanoid), I finally have the deckplate mod installed. I can't really take credit for it. This tech named Mike at Dealership Alternative Auto Repair here in Austin, TX. Took 30 minutes out of his day and did the whole for me. All I ended up doing was putting it in. He brought his jigsaw and some wood screws from home and everything. This form a guy who already saved me from spending $368 on unnecessary brake work. I highly recommend him to anyone in the Austin area who needs some work done that they're not quite confident in DIY'ing. He's also making custom LED 3rd brake lights for Harleys. If you're interested, PM and I'll get you in contact with him.

While I let the fumes from the sealant dissipate from the box (I used a 6 inch deckplate...looks GORGEOUS...no pics 'cuz cam needs new battery ), I decided to try something with my cluster lighting that I'd been considering. I am one of the unfortunate few here who has the cluster that's just the speedo, fuel and temp. It is backlit by only two 194 bulbs. I forgot this and went and got some extra bulb type 74 sockets thinking could just puts some bulbs in 'em and stick in the back of the cluster, and voila!, brighter guages. When I opened the cluster yesterday, and saw I couldn't do that, I went back to an old idea. I took the sockets I bought at a local dealership and carefully cut some speaker wire to fit into the socket on each side of the bulb once I put it in. Then I took the other end of the wire and put each end under one of the ends of the 194 sockets that light the cluster and twisted that closed. I hooked the cluster back up and it worked - a separate bulb to light the fuel and temp guages (not genius work, but I was happy). I changed the other bulbs to Eurolite xenon bulbs (wanted PIAA, but the place went only had those in 168). I also used foil to block most of the light coming from behind the bigger bulbs so it wouldn't wash out the blue of the two smaller bulbs. After it was all together, I liked it. blocking the light that usually bled to light the needles on the smaller guages really looked better to me. I'm sure doing LED's or indiglo would look better, but this is a pretty good, cheap-bastard alternative. If I ever get bored enough to take that dash apart again (I can get all the way to the cluster in 20 minutes now), I'll probably replace the 74's in the cluster and trans with 194's.

After all that, I put the deckplate in. Drove around for a while.... I think I can tell a difference...defnitlee hear a difference. The paper filter was in, so maybe the Amsoil will produce more difference. (???)

Anybody tried drying their Amsoil in the clothes dryer? I put mine in on low heat for about 20 minutes. Almost got it all the way dry, but the second stage foam still had some moisture. I didn't put it back in because I'd already started re-oiling when I noticed....

Last edited by RebuiltRunner; 02-22-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

After I clean my filter out, I use a towel and squish out as much water, then I install the filter and drive around the block a few times, letting the engine suck it dry. Take out the filter and oil it......
Old 02-22-2004, 12:28 PM

You don't worry about getting moisture in the TB?