Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

weekend mods

Old 04-02-2005, 12:33 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weekend mods -- sub & paint

it all started yesterday, before i left my garage at work into the rain.

i decided for whatever reason that i wanted to spray paint my wheel wells black right then and there. so i did (sorry the pics aren't great):

then this morning, i got my subwoofer installed. it's an infinity basslink words cannot express how awesome it sounds. this is THE best stereo mod i've done so far. it is crisp, clean and clear and doesnt take up too much space.

plus my HU controls it via an aux sub input, so i didnt need to use the basslink's remote!

great weekend!

Last edited by lee; 04-02-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Nice looking sub!
I should look into that for my rig... I've always avoided them like the plague because they take up too much room, but that has a nice compact box on it.

Keep the wells and the frame painted the best you can, it really makes a difference with appearance.

I seem to be painting mine an average of 3 times a year + touchups.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good choice basslinks are great..im looking for something a big louder now though...still going to go infinity
Old 04-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did my wheel wells I used rubberized undercooating just to wash mud off easier.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Smile

i look, but cannot see & can only hope that you have a "capacitor" in there somewhere to keep that decent amp & nice sub from killing your electrical system?!?

a word of advice.

-f-
Old 04-03-2005, 05:31 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hmm, i dont have one.

can you explain a bit more??
Old 04-03-2005, 09:38 AM

Lee, looks good man. I really don't think that you'll need a capacitor with that set up. I have never needed one and my buddy that works as an install guy at Tweeter said it would be a waste of money cause i'm only running one amp at 325 watts for my one JL 10. Basically, from what i understand from talking to him, is that the capacitor will hold a charge like a battery. When some extra power is needed on a big bass hit, instead of pulling from the car's power and dimming your lights, it will be pulled from the capacitor so that your lights won't dim. Like i said, i've been running this amp in two mitsubishi galants, a 91 and a 00, and now my runner with no problems. Hope this helped and let me know when you do your lift, maybe ill take a ride out there.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:10 AM

he doesnt need a capacitor unless his amp is running above around 500 watts. in that case, he would need a 1/2 farad capacitor..anything greater than 500 watts and a 1 farad capacitor is needed to keep the headlights from dimming, dashboard lights dimming when the bass hits etc. but if you have anything greater than about 1000 watts coming from the amp (which would pretty much rock your car apart over time) and youd have to look into maybe a 2 farad cap. my amp is wired to push just less than 700 continuous watts, so i got the 1 farad cap. so dont worry about it lee, you dont need one, especially when you just have one sub. your setup might sound good but doesnt look like it cranks out nearly enough wattage for a cap.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Thumbs up

sorry about the delay, "lee", i've been checking other forums for stuff, anyway...

a "capacitor"(cap)is, as "shotking4" noted, basically a small battery that, once charged, retains said charge (like, a .5 to 1 farad charge for you as i'm not certain what wattage your amp is) to power whatever (in this case "audio") component it is that you hook to it so that the component get's it's power from the "cap" & not your vehicle's charging system.

what this does is ensures that you do not over tax the vehicle's charging system by placing demands on it above what the manufacturer designed it to handle as doing so causes a plethoera of problems for your electrical system that does'nt always present themselves immediately.

also, besides taxing your vehicle, you're also taxing the amp to perform as you desire in that, since it does'nt get the amount of power that it needs to meet your performance demands, it has to work doubly hard to generate the amperage to produce the sound you're wanting to hear & this causes the amp "overheating" & "cutting out" that you might have heard of, not to mention a major loss in performance out of that really nice sub you've got (personally, i never fully got the OUTPUT from my sub & amp setup until i installed the cap which, apparently, matched/superceded the amps required INPUT for it's true performance parameters).

all in all, yes, the system will run w/out a cap, but for how long & at what cost to your system & it's actual performance abilities, not to mention the vehicles own charging system?

i don't know about you guys & what your financial situation may be, but generally a stereo upgrade is referred to as something that you "invested" in when talking about it & anything that implicates an "investment" is something that you're paying good money for & because you have, you're wanting to get your money's worth out of it for as long as possible.

so YES!, i do still encourage the purchase & installation of a cap, "lee", & this goes for you, too, "shotking4" & anyone else out there listening in 'yota land or elsewhere...you'll thank me for it later.

-f-

Last edited by frankenrunner; 04-03-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. ill think it over, but i dont think im going to need one. in all honesty, ive been testing the system out so ive been pushing it like crazy (rap beats with the sub all the way up, volume up high) just to hear it and because i LOVE the cleanliness and crispness of the bass it produces.

but ive been driving around with it set pretty low to just make the music sound crisp and clean... and thats all i need. i just dont think im pushing it hard enough to warrant one.. maybe after my lift and tires ill consider it though.

thanks again... LOVING IT!! very much recommended.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shotking4
let me know when you do your lift, maybe ill take a ride out there.
hell yea man, lift should be in by early may... we'll have to meet up and wheel.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:09 AM
lee
Contributing Member

bump

so last night i pulled out a rap cd and cranked the crap outta that sub... it was BOOMING so loudly, i loved it. i didnt experience any lights dimming at all (purposely had my headlights on, my fogs, everything)... does this mean i really dont need the capacitor?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Lee - what paint did you use?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 AM

you don't need one. What size amp do you have and what kind of power rating does your sub have? (Meaning how many continuous watts does your amp spit out and how many of those watts is the sub able to handle?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 AM

This is what a system that puts good use to a capacitor looks like.... its mine [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by yote4x4; 04-04-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
Hey Lee - what paint did you use?
uh, its in my trunk right now.. i'll take a look and post it tonight.. i believe its just plain jane black paint. it looks great, held up nice in our rainstorms the last couple days too.

Originally Posted by yote4x4
you don't need one. What size amp do you have and what kind of power rating does your sub have? (Meaning how many continuous watts does your amp spit out and how many of those watts is the sub able to handle?
im bad with all of this, so here is what crutchfield says:

» 55 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
» 65 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
» 130 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode

heres the link for the basslink

the more i look at this, the less i think i need one.. but if you can help me out thatd be great!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:06 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yote4x4
This is what a system that puts good use to a capacitor looks like.... its mine [IMG][/IMG]
woah.

is that a lightning audio capacitor?

nice setup!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 AM

nope, its a rockford, just like the rest of the setup. but yeah, those different figures depend on how you wired your system. Regardless of how you did it, it looks like you dont have anywhere near enough power to need a cap. Haha im jealous, at least youre gonna be keeping your hearing while listening to music. When that pic was taken, the amp had a measured peaking point of 1,400 watts (not continuous).
WOAH! now hold on here...i didnt know that your sub had a built- in amp with 200 watts...AND you have an alpine amp in addition to that? Well how many watts is your alpine amp rated for? And it didnt say on the basslink site how many watts your sub is capable of handling.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 AM

is that second amp going to your sub or to your other (non-subwoofer) speakers?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:33 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the amp is wired to the door speakers.

the sub has its own internal 200W amp, as you said.

the alpine amp is 55W x 4.

Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) 250 x 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weekend mods