Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The weekend brought a new mod...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The weekend brought a new mod...

I added another couple of characters to my SIG this weekend...

Before...

After...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Time to schedule a couple of hours on the Dyno.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll have to inform us less informed people on what the hell you're talking about...or maybe is it MI? I have no idea
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i see the difference is the MI, but im not sure what is meant either, but im also really sick with a fever, so its probably blatantly obvious, and im just missing it...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Weeee! More ponies for you!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 AM

MI = Methanol Injection.

You spray a mix of water/methanol into the intake in order to reduce the intake temperature. This allows you to run a denser fuel mixture at high RPM which lets you WAY advance the timing which nets you horsepower.

I have tuning to do, but the early results are pretty impressive. I used to only be able to run about 1+ (relative) degrees of advance at WOT, this morning I was +15 without ping. Flooring it from 30mph will toss you back into the seat.

This is the last mechanical step I want to take on my quest to pass 400hp at the crank. The rest now is tuning.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midiwall
MI = Methanol Injection.

You spray a mix of water/methanol into the intake in order to reduce the intake temperature. This allows you to run a denser fuel mixture at high RPM which lets you WAY advance the timing which nets you horsepower.

I have tuning to do, but the early results are pretty impressive. I used to only be able to run about 1+ (relative) degrees of advance at WOT, this morning I was +15 without ping. Flooring it from 30mph will toss you back into the seat.

This is the last mechanical step I want to take on my quest to pass 400hp at the crank. The rest now is tuning.

Sounds like some fun! So the stock 3.4L will actually stand up to 400hp?? I would think that would just tear it up. Oh, well all the more fun for you!

Would NOS be as good and about the same price? Seems like they both add power, both have to be refilled, ect...

And has anyone heard about CryO2 systems? They are used on some tuner cars. It used Co2 to cool the intake air down to near freezing (no it does not inject it into the intake, it is just used to cool it). It is a nice little mod people do down here in hot Texas, up north it doesn't do as much.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeebus. Sounds crazy.

Where do I get one!?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Sounds like some fun! So the stock 3.4L will actually stand up to 400hp?? I would think that would just tear it up. Oh, well all the more fun for you!
Yeah, the stock block is running in a couple of different TC'd trucks at around 600HP.

Would NOS be as good and about the same price? Seems like they both add power, both have to be refilled, ect...
NOS works differently, it's actually burning and creating a much stronger explosion. MI/WI isn't really burning as much as it's allow you to dump more fuel.

A couple of folks here have tried NOS in this engine... The block holds up, but the heads tend to come off. NOS is VERY nasty to an engine. It has to be built to be able to handle it - that usually means larger bolts on the heads, grommets around all the ports etc.

And has anyone heard about CryO2 systems? They are used on some tuner cars. It used Co2 to cool the intake air down to near freezing (no it does not inject it into the intake, it is just used to cool it). It is a nice little mod people do down here in hot Texas, up north it doesn't do as much.
Interesting!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Jeebus. Sounds crazy.

Where do I get one!?
Gimme your Visa and I'll order you up the parts.

fwiw, this won't do anything on a NA engine. You'll need to be SC'd, and then run pretty large injectors, fuel/timing management etc.

This also isn't applicable to TC'd engines - the equivalent there is an intercooler.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Cry02 is a cool and not very expensive mod that actually works.

see: http://www.cryo2.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

I have seen these on a few cars and even saw a guy on a dyno with it. It added about 10% - 20% on a 100 degree day (pretty common here). The cooler the day the less it helps but for the price it is an intresting mod. Plus it looks like a NOS tank ;-)
Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM

I added another couple of characters to my SIG this weekend...

Before...

After...

Finally! Let me know when you are ready to dyno, I know of a place

As a side note, I will have my truck ready this week, maybe we can schedule a session at the same time....

Gregg
Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you wheeling or drag racing?

When do you add the bling spinning 24s?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Mark sweet. I might need to ask you some questions when I do my Modified STS turbo setup soon (peicing parts together with my bro to do a custom turbo setup) what was your last dyno result before the methanol?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Finally! Let me know when you are ready to dyno, I know of a place

As a side note, I will have my truck ready this week, maybe we can schedule a session at the same time....
I'm in dude. The weekends are a bit messy for me up through the first weekend in May. Maybe 5/12? I'll bet that with your Social Engineering skills we can work out a 4 hour block with CC and hang out for an afternoon. I THINK I can get pretty organized and be able to swap through combinations fairly quick. I don't know that I'll need more than a two hour block.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Are you wheeling or drag racing?

When do you add the bling spinning 24s?
heh. I'm "improving the state of my daily driver such that I can have fun on and off the road".

Originally Posted by neliconcept
Mark sweet. I might need to ask you some questions when I my Modified STS turbo setup soon (peicing parts together with my bro to do a custom turbo setup)
You're gonna wanna talk to Gregg (Greedy) about turbo stuff. He's been through a LOT and from talking to him there's different stuff to take into consideration between turbo and SC.

what was your last dyno result before the methanol?
Dunno.. My only previous dyno sheet was MANY moons ago... pre SC. The way I'm rigged up right now I can toggle the MI on/off and switch tuning tables with the flip of a switch.

I'm working out a testing grid now, but it'll include a ton of combinations... SC, SC with ignition kicker, SC with kicker and MI, SC with just MI, SC with deckplate in/out.... etc.

The only thing I can't really do is test with/without Johnny's cams (Weasy2k) or w/wo the Port & Polish.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm in dude. The weekends are a bit messy for me up through the first weekend in May. Maybe 5/12? I'll bet that with your Social Engineering skills we can work out a 4 hour block with CC and hang out for an afternoon. I THINK I can get pretty organized and be able to swap through combinations fairly quick. I don't know that I'll need more than a two hour block.
Sounds perfect. I need a chance to road tune and tweak with my new turbo anyways. I will head over there and see what day and times they have available.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome,
Can't wait to see what you come up with... I might have to invest myself...

Glad to see the Runner is still running Mark!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm assuming the WHAAA's are the sound the engine makes in each gear... Haha, so before and after would be:

Before:

After:

WHAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shhhhhweeeeet! We have been waiting for a long time to find out just how much your beast is stomping the ground with.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by turboale
Glad to see the Runner is still running Mark!
heh... me too.

I had a scare a week ago. The engine flooded out after the SMT5 freaked out as the battery drained (that old problem). It was at a body shop, I'd left the dome light on, and they kept trying to start it. The SMT5 wasn't letting it spark, so the plugs basically got _drenched_ in fuel. It'd catch a couple of times, but that just spat raw fuel out the cylinders, and...

...that seeming trashed the O2 sensor.

Once I got the truck running using the bypass for the SMT, I had to run it for a week without the piggyback until I could get an O2 sensor and find some time to reload and clear out the SMT. The truck ran like a P - I - G PIG, VERY rich.

In fact (and here's the scare) it was running so rich that the EGTs were UP. Up to the point that I was tiptoeing around major issues waiting for me in the wings. EEEEEEEEEEEK!

I finally pulled it together on Saturday, swapped the O2 sensor and got the SMT back online. The truck raw AWESOME. Then adding the spray yesterday... heh.

Anyway... looks like Gregg and I will be on the dyno in about a month. Should be VERY entertaining!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Yesssss!

Have you figured out the closed loop fuel enrichment yet? I have not had a chance to tune with the MAP-ECU2 yet to tell if it will work or not so that is still a big question mark for me.

I can't wait to see how your set-up preforms - actually a little scared - it will probably put my little turbo to shame
Old 04-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Yesssss!

Have you figured out the closed loop fuel enrichment yet? I have not had a chance to tune with the MAP-ECU2 yet to tell if it will work or not so that is still a big question mark for me.
Nah... You know I've given up on the SplitSecond smoke & mirrors. It's still mounted on my firewall, but it's not hooked up. I just wanna baseball-bat it everytime I see it sitting there.

I don't think that the MAP-ECU2 will buy me anything right now, outside of consolidating boxes. If I tear this stuff out, I'll go full-hog.

If I could get a straight answer about the MegaSquirt being able to support multiple channels of coil-on-plug ignition, I'd be all over it.

I can't wait to see how your set-up preforms - actually a little scared - it will probably put my little turbo to shame
I predict that I'll have you on torque down low, but if you start pushing over 12 PSI, you'll pass me on top. I'll have a smoother power curve though - Johnny's cams are WAY cool.

You know that strip of 124th that runs across the Wood/Red valley? Welcome to my morning test-runs.

Quick Reply: The weekend brought a new mod...