Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WARNING! AutoZone gas cap is crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING! AutoZone gas cap is crap

Everyone of them I have had has failed the inspection. I coxed the old one out of the inspection place to return to AutoZone and I plan on making them pay for the one I had to buy. I am also going to hit them up for the other one I have bought in the past. I am taking this measly charge all the way to the top if they don't correct it and make sure they never sell them again if I have anything to do with it. They shouldn't even be allowed to sell them that way. Anyone else want to jump on this claim? Let me know soon because I am going to start with this ASAP.

(the green smiley is AutoZone)
Old 08-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

I kept my stock cap and put it on if I need to get smogged.
But I use it every other time 'cause it's got the lock and my fuel door is not lockable.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:41 AM

Strange... When I failed the gas cap test I went and bought the cheapest one I could find from checkers, passed 2 and a half years ago and 6 months ago...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Strange... When I failed the gas cap test I went and bought the cheapest one I could find from checkers, passed 2 and a half years ago and 6 months ago...
Why is that strange? You didn't buy it from AutoZone. Of coarse it worked :pat:
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i think he means its strange how the cheapy one worked.

my question: why did you replace the stock one with the autozone one? whats special about it?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, so what does the gas cap have to do with the emissions test????
Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM

I never knew they tested gas caps, geez... yeah mine isn't working right because after using my truck if I sit in the back or something I can smell gas. haven't gotten around to getting a new one, thought that you could just replace the rubber gasket in em but when I went to toyota and carquest asking about it they just said I had to get a new cap. Toyota's cap was around 20 bucks and carquest was 7 or 8 I think.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lee
i think he means its strange how the cheapy one worked.

my question: why did you replace the stock one with the autozone one? whats special about it?
I think they should all work...

I have a funny story. I had a car with one of those leashes on the cap. So right after I got my 4Runner sure enough I forgot to put the cap back on. Picked one up at AutoZone. Failed inspection and bought one there for about $20 because they won't pass me otherwise and I was short on time for the next few weeks. So I got screwed. Well, about 2 years pass and I'm filling my gas thinking, 'Damn I need one of those leashes. I'm surprised I haven't lost this one yet.' Go to fill er up the next time, and no gas cap. :pat: Go figure. Had someone else grab me one and sure enough they got it at AutoZone.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ALBPM
Ok, so what does the gas cap have to do with the emissions test????
It has something to do with the EVAP canister I believe. If the cap and tank are not pressurized, the vapors will escape via the cap (or lack thereof) instead of into the EVAP canister as intended.

That is my understanding anyway.

(This is why some of you have the "snoring" "buzzing" sound coming from under the hood like me. Pull that line to the EVAP canister, or drive without a gas cap, and the buzzing will go away. Don't do that though!
Old 09-01-2004, 11:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

how does not having your gas cap in not set off a CEL?

also, mine came with a leash.. was that not stock and added in by the previous owner?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

The cap is tested for abiltiy to hold a certain vacuum pressure, not sure what vehicles or caps have to hold how much vacuum. So I'm not sure if I should tell you your cap "sucks" or doesn't "suck".
Old 09-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

I had always wondered why they tested gas caps! In Cali, the smog check guy wouldn't even pull off MY cap and test it. He'd simply use his own and pass me no problem. Here in Wyoming, we don't have laws... :pat:
Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 PM

I thought it was surprising because generally autozone, checkers, pepboys, they are all about the same when it comes to generic products, and the fact that you went through two of them that didn't work and the $4 gas cap I got at checkers with the first go is still working.

Also, I imagine gas caps have to hold pressure and keep vapors for when it is hot, the vapor levels increase as the gas heats up. Also, don't gas tanks need atleast some pressure within them when non-electric fuel pumps are used?
Old 09-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Also, I imagine gas caps have to hold pressure and keep vapors for when it is hot, the vapor levels increase as the gas heats up. Also, don't gas tanks need atleast some pressure within them when non-electric fuel pumps are used?
You are losing gas by not having one that seals well for that reason...
Old 09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
how does not having your gas cap in not set off a CEL??
*SIGH* Adding five characters because it won't let me submit this message with just the quote from the FSM below...

The vapor pressure sensor and VSV for vapor pressure sensor are used to detect abnormalities in the evaporative emission control system.
The ECM decides whether there is an abnormality in the evaporative emission control system by the vaporpressure sensor signal.
DTC P0440 is recorded by the ECM when evaporative emissions leak from the components within the dotted line in Fig. 1 below, or when the vapor pressure sensor malfunctions.

DTC No. DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area - P0440
Pressure of fuel tank is the same as one of atomospheric after
vehicle is driven for 20 min. (2 trip detection logic)

Hose or tube cracked, holed, damaged or loose seal ((3) in Fig. 1)
 Fuel tank cap incorrectly installed
 Fuel tank cap cracked or damaged
Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or disconnected ((1) or (2) in Fig. 1)
 Fuel tank cracked, holed or damaged
 Charcoal canister cracked, holed or damaged
 Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
Vapor pressure sensor
ECM