Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WANTED: Detailed Lift Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WANTED: Detailed Lift Write-up

I've been into everyones web sites who I know have dne lifts but there are no really detailed lift write ups. I need a fairly detaile lift wite up, with or without pictures, it would be better with but if there is one without I will go with that too. I'm getting ready to take my lift off and I want to do it on my own instead of paying soeone another $300+ to take out what they already installed. I'm taking my lift out because I need to get down to stock height so I can sell my baby and get into another 4Runner, this one is gona be 4x4 no more 4WD envy for me. I'm looking at 400 bucks for stck size tires and I want to reduce the cost of the lifted --> stock conersion.

Please, please help me ou if you can, any good write ups woud be a help, also any suggestions of how hard/complicated this proccess might be for 2 somewhat mechanically inclined guys to prform. Also if there is anyone in the Greensboro, High Point NC area that could hlp me out, let me know.

Thanks in advance guys, I know where I can ALWAYS relay on.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:45 PM

If you need help let me know... It will be a learning experience for me too.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

You may want to specify which lift combination you have, so folks can figure out which write ups you will be needing. I could steer you to a writeup for the Trailmaster 6" install, but somehow I suspect that is not what you are seeking...

If you are referring to the spacers listed in your sig, then just do a Google search on Tacoma Spacer Lift and you will find more write ups then you can shake a stick at.

Last edited by WATRD; 06-13-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:28 PM

I believe Stump is looking for a write up on how to install Downey HD Rear Springs and Cornfed Spacers so that he can remove them from his rig.

Id be willing to drive up there and assist if the time was right Stump. What all will you be getting rid of from that rig of yours? Should you end up getting a 4WD 2nd Gen there might be a few things I could buy off you.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys,I found some good write ups about the front spacers, they are all on Taco's but that is good enough to me. I just need some help with the rear springs, all theTaco' write ups are leaf springs and no help to me.

Polax thanks for the ofer, I'l let ya know, I might be doing it at my mechanic's place and if I do that it'll just be me and one of my friends(I don't wann crowd his shop), but if I find a way to do it at my house I will let ya know and then you could come up here and gie me a hand and learn some from my mitakes, then you could possibly do your own lift when you get the $$$ for the SWA's.

I will be getting a 4x4 3rd gen sorry man, all my stuff is coming with me on this one, luckly I kept all the stock parts and never got around to selling it all. The only thing I need to locate is a set of stock rear shocks, I tossed them but kept the front. Sorry man, but like I told Darren in my e-mail, I might be switching up to OMEshocks and springs, so my spacers will go to him first and then the Bils. and Downey's are yours if your still in the market, that will be more towards early or late fall. I'll keep in touch with both you guys about w/e goes on. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:22 PM

Stump: Actually, I may be getting my SAW/Downey lift this next week. Im back to work now and if this deal falls through, then by next Friday I will be riding 3" higher. Soon after, I will be getting my Bils (probably end of June) for the rear and, consequently, I will have an extra set of stock shocks (If you still need some, hit me up and Ill see if I can give em to ya for a few bucks.)

As for joining you guys in your removal, that would be great if its possible, otherwise Im sure I can make do with my friends out here.

Dave
Old 06-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know of a write up for the rear coil springs, the leaf springs aren't gona help me a bit. Are 90-05 Runners rear set-up anywhere near the same as 96-02's. I might be able to use a friend with some info about a 2nd gen to get the job done if they are the same or at least enough so that I can use his directions to get mine done. Sorry all that jiberish above might be a bit confusing. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Rear coils are pretty straight forward

Start by jacking the rear of the truck by the frame and putting it on jack stands, support the diff with a jack, pull the wheels, disconnect the bottom shock mounts (the top shock mount may be a pain to get off, so this may add some time if you are swapping shocks), disconnect the sway bar end links, disconnect the panhard bar from the axle, disconnect the emergency brake from the center of the axle, and lower the axle. Watch so you don't lower it too much and put too much tension on the brake line. Springs should just pull right out. Putting em back in is the reverse. Took me no more than a couple hours to do the rear end Once the wheels are off, it only takes removing about six bolts to get the springs out.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2nd gen rear coil swap is pretty much the same as the 3rd gen. There are a couple writeups in the tech section and off-road.com has one too, by geiger. It's a piece of cake.