Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting

Would you guys trust Wal-Mart to mount a set of Tech1 Rock Crawlers...the only reason I ask this is because places around here are closed when I get out of school and are closed on the weekend and Wal-Mart is open 24 hours a day and I can go whenever I want and just shop around while I wait.

Is there a down side to having them mount them? The only thing I can see that might happen would be balancing the aftermarket wheels...what do you all think?

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 11-18-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experience with the Rockcrawlers, but if they can be balanced on both sides of the wheel, you will be fine at WalMart. Before I got my Centerlines, I always went to WalMart and got my free rotation and balance thanks to my lifetime plan. They always did a pretty good job.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
No Wally World

Sorry Chris, but I respectfully disagree. I would not let Walmart "poot" AT my rig, heaven forbid they should look at it, much less actually touch it to work on it!

Fink, be patient and take your Tech 1s to a reputable place that knows tire/rims and get them road-force balanced on a GPS9700.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: No Wally World

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Sorry Chris, but I respectfully disagree. I would not let Walmart "poot" AT my rig, heaven forbid they should look at it, much less actually touch it to work on it!

Fink, be patient and take your Tech 1s to a reputable place that knows tire/rims and get them road-force balanced on a GPS9700.

I guess I just had a good service center back home. They always did a great job.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:29 AM

Do you have a local discount tire? If so, I'd try to get them mounted there, cuz then you'll have lifetime rotation and balancing yadda yadda yadda
Old 11-18-2003, 11:37 AM

That is where I have mine balanced, etc.

They also have road hazard, lifetime everything. I use the rebalance once a month +/- and rotate every 5k or so. They warrantied one tire and said the other are no longer warrantiable. I calmly explained it happened on a road in Colorado and told them they are still contractually obligated to warranty the other 4 on the truck.

Make sure you see the machine read out zero on both sides and do not leave unless it is right on. The manager at the local store hates me, but the shop guys BS with me and like looking at the truck. You are paying for a service, make sure it is being done to your satisfaction.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Althought walmart is open 24 hrs, I do believe that their tire dept shuts down around 8ish if my memory serves me right.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

I may call the local place and ask them to stay late...I'm not even sure that the place that I usually take it to will have the right machine...I can ask though.

I'll give them a call here in a minute...

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like no Wal-Mart for me.

I will look around, I would like to get them mounted by this weekend cause a bunch of us local guys are going to a place called White Rock to see how muddy it is after the big rains we had a few days ago

Fink
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 PM

Sam's club mounted mine and did a great job.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:31 PM

Hey Chris, where do you all usually go? Also, what day do you plan to go? Would you mind having a tag-along?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Turns out I can get a good deal at the dealer...

Under 70 for everything...mounting, balancing and new valve stems.

Made an appointment for 4:00-4:30 tomorrow afternoon...I'm excited!

My99...It depends on what I am getting done. My usual tire place is Big 8 Tire and Suspension on College Ave by Walgreens. My usual "anything but something serious that I would rather have my dealer do" is University Auto also on College near the Lafayette and College intersection. Close to Marvin's IGA Grocery.

I am taking it this time to Landers Auto Park right off the Bypass because my buddy Logan works there and said he would give me a deal on getting it done since I spent over $550 there last time and that I am such a good customer Guess it pays to be polite and trusting.

Anyway, if you want to tag along tomorrow gimme a shout on here or on AIM at BigManFink15

Later guys!

Fink

PS: I will be SURE to post pics of the finished product when I get home. Also, I got a new bumper today, well new to me, its a used one, I am going to try and ATLEAST clean it up some tonight with some CLR and steel wool (its got some rust) and then maybe mount it depending on what time it is when I get that done. Later.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:22 PM

Hey Chris, where do you all usually go? Also, what day do you plan to go? Would you mind having a tag-along?
Heh, guess I should have qualified the question. I was talking of your off-roading adventure this weekend.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 PM

dont knock it till you try it

Years ago I went and got a tire done at a local 4x4 part shop and they did a horrible job (Blew beads when aired down) even scratched my rim... then went to Wallmart and had the guy put a set of 31's on my other truck (never blew a bead on that set). I had a good talk with the installer and found out that he was working there temporarliy and that he was recently laid off. However he had been working on 4x4's and tires for over 20 years. He said its all in the machines and the person installing the tire.. Get your tires done by people you trust and dont worry about the name.

Also I have had really great service at Americas tire Co. I got a flat going to San Deigo 400 miles away from home and they replace the tire for free and offered a discounted rate for a second tire just to make sure I got home safely, so prop to the chain stores... peace Big Kahuna
Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM

I think it just depends where you go...

I had my stock rims and tires balanced at Sam's because the person I bought my truck from bought the tires there. I ended up with scratched rims with about 4 different weights on each tire.

Then again, I've heard people say they've had great service from the same place.

Personally, I don't like to take my truck to "chain" stores. I'm just weird like that. I just have it in my head that these may be the people that were just fired from McFlippy Burger.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

My99 - sure thing, it turns out it may be the weekend after this when we go...but I will be sure to let you know when we go.

Thanks for all the advice, I trust my dealer though...they always do good work.

I'll let you know how it goes....bumper is cleaned and ready for mounting...tomorrow when I get home from the stealer, ITS ON!!

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 05:24 AM

Yeah, let me know when you guys go, i might tag along if it's not too hardcore. It is my daily, I'm just curious to see how its capabilities stack up.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Trust me, my rig is ANYTHING but offroad capable at this point but we just go through mud and climb some hills and do mostly trail making and trail riding...but...the weather is going to be the deciding factor...snow is expected on monday!

MY STEELIES ARE ON!!!!!!!!!

THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!!

I will have pics up later tonight when I can reduce them and post em....

Fink
Old 11-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

These were all taken at night, a couple were takin while I had it in the garage crammed up against my 4wheeler.

Pic 1:
Attached Thumbnails Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting-image006.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 04:18 PM

We get cars coming in that had their oil changed at walmart and walmart forgot to put the oil cap back on. So no I don't think I would trust them with the wheels on my vehicle.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Pic 2:
Attached Thumbnails Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting-image002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Wheel Mounting