Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

waddaya think it's worth???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waddaya think it's worth???

not another one of these threads... bear w/ me here...

the short version of the long story is that i'm at a cross-roads of sorts and this is something that i've been thinking about for a while. i'm really torn over what to do, but i think the answer is to sell the runner.

it literally just sits in the garage. when we get a cruiser (soon), then it really will just sit there. i don't have as much time as i used to - i don't work on it, do anything to it, barely drive it to the store, and don't wheel it except for maybe once or twice a year.

i have quite a bit in it, and would have to get a decent price for it to sell it as it sits today w/ everything on it.

now, take the residual value of about $12k for a stock 99 limited w/ 150k on it that's in great shape and you add a little less than half the original value of the mods to that and you see where i'm going as far as prices go - over retail value on it for sure, but also loaded w/ about everything you can do to a 3rd gen short of SC or a SAS.

now, do you think i could find a buyer for it in that range? ebay or autotrader?

i wouldn't be replacing it. i'd just use the cruiser for anything i'd do offroad as i had time, and then eventually it would be mine - way down the road - and it would be my toy. as much as i hate to say it, i just don't have the free time to justify the expense of the runner (payment + full coverage ins) and of course, family time comes first...

opinions...

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FZJ-80's are big.

100 Series are bigger with IFS.

Decide March 6, 2006.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Decide March 6, 2006.
What's the importance of this date (other than it being my birthday)?

Brian
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Banned

steve:

lol... w/ a family addition coming in the next year or so and a uzj sometime in the next few months, it really will just sit and collect dust. it's not about what to wheel, cause i really don't have the time now to do it justice, and w/ another rugrat running around, time will be even more scarce.

i'd eventually get something, but more of a toy i think that would just be a trial-only type thing - at most. to be honest, the uzj would probably be too big for most trails at tellico anyway.

honestly, i don't want an 80 - seriously. i don't know what i'd do for a wheeler, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a 3rd gen that i have to make payments on...

peanut:

i'm going to AZ on march 2nd to wheel w/ steve on the 4th and coming home on the 6th - part of a business trip w/ the wifey to tempe.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

man I should go dig up al lthe old threads and quote you where u said "I'll never sell it"

but I understand .. the same thing happened to me. It just sits there. I put a total of 1300 miles on the 4runner last year.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

i know. i've said that 100 times if i've said it once.

i love it. it's a killer ride, but i need to justify the expense in my mind and i can't. it will be about $400 a month for it to just sit there. sad, but true. i rarely drive it anymore. only on trips w/ the family, and when we get a uzj, then it will just sit and maybe get driven to the store once a month or something.

like i said, i'm at a crossroads of sorts and both decisions are tough ones.

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

put it on ebay as-is with a high reserve and see what offers you get.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

i'm seriously thinking about it.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, these are some sad days.

As we stated during Flames thread, sell it if you can get more than it's worth. You appear to be on the opposite end. There have been a few of these "what can I get for my truck" threads and to be honest, your best bet would be to find someone that has a lot of cash that wants a truck to wheel.

The reason I say this is that for $16k or more, someone would need to have that kind of cash laying around or the ability to borrow it from someone other than a bank. Many banks will not lend money for an older car or the loan would have to be a personal loan with higher interest. Either way, chances are someone has to really want your truck and then have the means to pay for it.

Sad as this is, your best bet is to part the sucker out and then sell a bone-stock truck. This will maximize the money you get but will also take time off of your hands. Good thing is you know how to do a ton of this stuff on your own. It would also be good to find someone local willing to swap OEM stuff w/ you. If you were closer, I'd love to do that and get the ARB...

Good luck on your choices but from the snow pics you posted earlier, it's not hard seeing why you're not as tied to your truck (beautiful family)...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 PM

I agree and most people arent willing to pay 5000 extra for modifications.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 PM

Yours is one of my favorite vehicles on this site -- if I had any way to make the financials work, I'd be calling you. Where is Steve planning to drag you when you come out? I might be able to join you guys.

Ed
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 PM

damn, I can't believe your thinking about getting rid of it, I read this site for a while before subscribing and buying a runner. I remeber looking at yours like 2 or so years ago, and I thought it was one of the sickest I had ever seen. If you do decide to part it out, let me know, I need lockers, and a bumper. Don't do it though, keep it!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Andy,
I say sell that Bling Honda and use the runner for a DD again!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
Andy,
I say sell that Bling Honda and use the runner for a DD again!
Uh yeah.

So why don't you just NOT buy the IFS Cruiser and drive your 4Runner to work? Is it broke? Did you blow a fart in it? What up with not driving it?

I don't think it will blow up. Why do you need a car to drive if you have a 1999 4Runner?

The cheapest thing is to keep what you have and drive it.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with Schaefer, I don't think the difference in gas prices and mileage justify having a DD other than the 4Runner. Mine still gets 18-20 on the highway and 15 around town. That's not that bad...
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds more like a bitch, but, it would seem to me that you could make more money by taking everything off and selling it seperate, then replacing with stock parts?

I dont know if someone would pay an extra $5000 for the mods, but, I could see it selling 1-3k higher than a stock one !
Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wondering too... why would you want to get a bigger car with all the gas prices ?! Well, Iguess if money is not an option !! My dad had a landcruiser and had a lot of transmission problems (went through 3 in 5 years). those things are pretty nice though.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

IMO, what you are trying here is a crazy idea. You'll make a greater loss, than doing the whole $400 a month deal for a long time to come, maybe even long enough to pay it off.

Plus, ad others have said, why get a UZJ, the 4runner is plenty big for 4 and it's a good DD and you'll still have something YOU worked on and YOU are proud of sitting in your garage.

I dunno man, but I wouldn't do it. Say it a 101st one time, "I'll never sell it" .
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

whoa whoa whoa...... did hell freeze over?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

lol... just thinking out loud. i have a wife that likes to take everything possible w/ her when we go out of town - which we do often, and usually for 3-5 days at a time. we fill up the runner to the roof - literally - on a long weekend trip.

oh, and you don't have to tell me that i'd do better to part it out. more than anything, i guess i'm just getting a feel for the possibility of selling it "whole" w/o having to tear it apart and rebuild as a stock runner. i hate the thought of doing that w/ all the work that's gone into it. more than anything, i'll more than likely offer it up on ebay once for a reserve that i think is fair and if it doesn't go, then it will just be parked in the garage for the next few years.

i'm getting about 16-17 MPG and i drive about 115 miles a day, 5 days a week. to use it on a daily basis costs me about $15 in gas and about $4 a day in tire wear - seriously. on the DD honda, i got 32 MPG and saved over $1000 in 5 months compared to the runner. i now have a DD Acura Legend that gets 27 MPG and i'm in the process of painting and selling the honda. it will almost pay for the legend. so, a month or so from now, i'll have the legend that's paid for that get's 27 MPG and a runner that's not paid for that costs me almost double to drive to work and i'm paying $400 a month for it to just sit there.

for now, we're still using it to travel in. we're thinking of getting the cruiser/lx470 for my wife to drive and to use on trips - we could actually use the extra room when we add another car seat + stroller + extras - you non-fathers have NO IDEA at all the stuff that goes along w/ a baby when you travel.

in the long run, i can see the writing on the wall. we'll get the cruiser/lx, and i'll drive the acura every day and the runner will sit. eventually, we'll have another kid, and i won't have time to fool w/ it and we'll sell it to have some extra $ and clear some debt and space in the garage since it won't be a necessity. that would all happen w/in the next year. i owe about 2.5 years on it, so at that point i'd still have about 1.5 years at $400 a month to still pay on it.

more than anything, i just know that for the next few years, i'm not going to have time to wheel it. it's also something that i'm paying interest and full coverage on... it's just a shame that it will sit and not get used. if i sell it, it will free up some money for the other things in life and also somebody will get some good use out of it. in reality, i don't have to sell it. i don't need the money and it's not killing the finances. we don't HAVE to get a cruiser/lx, and i don't have to park it. i could just get some street tires and drive the piss outta it, but i don't think i will...

Last edited by bamachem; 02-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: waddaya think it's worth???