Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC...hmmmm....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC...hmmmm....

Ok, I got a 01 4runner SR5 4x4 and 01 Tacoma xcab trd 4x4. I love my truck, beat the holy crap out of it, there is a lot of places to really do some awesome four wheeling.

Anyway, I loved the truck so much I bought my wife the same year 4runner. It has no locker...kinda bummed...but whatever...I can add an ARB later.

My question and concern is the VSC and such. I have not taken her ride off road yet, cause I don't want to get stranded with the family. When if four high or low, by pushing the button, the traction control disengages? So can I fly though sand throwing roost or is the truck going to sense slippage and leave me high and dry? Just how the heck does this system work and why do we want it? Is it primarily for soccer moms driving in the winter on a plowed road that has a millimeter of ice on it? What about rock crawling? When a tire lifts will the vehicle send power to the right tire? Is all this moot since when you press the button it all turns off?

I did some searching, but would like maybe some more personl experiences, advice, explanation, etc. Was kinda gettin nervous when I see some things with negative answers and some ABS issues.

Mahalos!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
lee
Contributing Member

you didnt see the million page thread.

if you unplug this in the engine bay, it will disengage vsc and trac, but also abs.

you can also wire up a switch (called the andymod ). read through this thread for more, its been discussed a LOT

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/vsc-trac-defeating-anyone-closer-45793/

its dense, but its a good thread to read.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
lee
Contributing Member

i pull that plug everytime i wheel.

fyi, 01's have an AWD system (pushbutton and go at any speed, on or off pavement) with the center locking diff.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 PM

VSC succeeds in one thing only as far as I'm concerned. It lifts the throttle on me when I'm trying to pull out but give it a little too much. Now, I know it's supposed to do this to enable the tire to grab then I have traction and...Wrong...it pretty much just kills the vehicle while I sit and watch a Maine Highway Department snow plow the size of a house head straight for me. Perhaps I shouldn't have pulled out in front of the monster but I did so that part of the equation is pretty much moot, or whatever. I'd like to disable it. For sure. Oh, it also makes one heck of a "not good" sound when it decides to jocky the brakes and throttle at the same time, sounds like C3PO getting friendly with a coffee maker.

(in an ominous type voice....)"Find a way to disable VSC and they will come..."
Old 11-14-2005, 03:48 PM

Now that I've re-read my last response, the one thing it succeeds in is almost getting me killed ( I had nothing to do with it...oh course)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 AM

At the risk of sounding stupid (no suprise there), I don't think I have a locker in the rear diff. The only button on the dash is the one that shows an "X" where the transfer case is and shows front wheels turned and back wheels. My Taco has a button that says RR Lock, that is indeed a locker.

I guess I just want to know what the button does on my 4Runner, and when and why I would want to push it.

Sorry about the laymens question, and I'll peruse the thread you posted.

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
lee
Contributing Member

its your center locking diff button... do a search
Old 11-15-2005, 11:50 AM

I did the search, thanks.

Basically what I have is a snowrunner in Hawaii. Great. What I'm getting here is that when pushing the 4x4 button for 4Hi, I'm actually engaging all wheel drive. When I push the "center diff lock) I'm cancelling out the slippage allowed for AWD to engage traditional open front and rear diff 4wd. No locker for the rear diff. Okay, I think I understand that. Now by reading all these other threads, I'm under the impression that now I can't churn and burn without traction control stepping in and applying brake to control wheel spin.

Now, I assume VSC is stability control, but that does get turned off when in 4Lo. No wonder you all have been discussing this topic in detail.

Additionally, If I install an ARB rear locker, I still can't have any fun anyway without ABS stepping in. It's starting to look like this runner may just stay on the highway.

Man, why would Toyota make a "4x4" that is only good for ice driving? And why wouldn't they make a controller to engage or disengage this feature?

Remember when Toyotas had high clearance, solid axles, no frills, and ruled the terrain? Ahhh...simplicity truly is bliss. I think I'll keep the old Bronco forever, and trade in the 4runner on a Unlimited Rubicon. Sacrilege!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:53 AM
lee
Contributing Member

but im telling you that you CAN disengage vsc/trac/abs by unplugging the thing in the pic i posted.

then you can have all the fun you want on or off pavement. its really not so bad, ive wheeled my 01 by unplugging that thing and its been fine.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:20 PM

Yes, sorry, was getting a little fired up thinking about having to lift my hood in front of my buddies before a burn out. But I do appreciate all the work everyone had to go through to find out this little tidbit of treasure. It is an EXTREMELY valuable thing to know, especially when wheeling in remote places.

So, I assume I can just turn off the truck, reach in and unplug the harness, fire the truck up, and enjoy? I also assume I need to turn off the vehicle again before re-attaching the harness?

It's too bad the ABS couldn't be left alone somehow without tearing into the electrical system and making mods.

I guess for the time being I'll get some good exercise getting out of the truck. Hey! Maybe I can fantasize that's it's kinda like getting out to lock in the hubs!

Thanks again for the info!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MolokaiRider
Yes, sorry, was getting a little fired up thinking about having to lift my hood in front of my buddies before a burn out. But I do appreciate all the work everyone had to go through to find out this little tidbit of treasure. It is an EXTREMELY valuable thing to know, especially when wheeling in remote places.

So, I assume I can just turn off the truck, reach in and unplug the harness, fire the truck up, and enjoy? I also assume I need to turn off the vehicle again before re-attaching the harness?

It's too bad the ABS couldn't be left alone somehow without tearing into the electrical system and making mods.

I guess for the time being I'll get some good exercise getting out of the truck. Hey! Maybe I can fantasize that's it's kinda like getting out to lock in the hubs!

Thanks again for the info!
you know...
you can wire up a switch to kill VSC/TRAC/ABS too. i did. there's info about how to do that, search AndyMod and you'll see.

flip the switch and vsc/trac/abs are off.
flip it back and restart the truck, and things are back to normal.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yup, and ditto on unplugging by the way.. you can have the truck on and unplug. then turn it off, replug, start up and all is back to normal.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

It's only one wire - just do it and enjoy your 4Runner. I started the craziness and am glad that we continued looking into it until a solution was found.

Andreas
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Ahh, yes...the "AndyMod". Nice work!

I do love the 4Runner, build quality is far superior to any other affordable urban assault vehicle out there.

After reading through all of your deliberations in the gigantor post, I see that it is a pretty cut and dry wiring task. I am going to try to set up some time after Thanksgiving to make my own AndyMod and get some step by step pics up.

I wonder if this mod is known to others outside this forum? This mod should be a sticky in technical!

Thanks for the insight gentlemen!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:11 PM

I've had the AndyMod on for about 6 mos...still works like a charm! Thanks to Andreas!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

I did some pretty decent wheeling with my 01 Runner last weekend and have to say that the center diff locking thinking did pretty well. In 4LO I had no slipping issues and the guys told me that many times I had opposite corners off the ground and the remaining 2 wheels (1 front and 1 back) were still getting it done. THis was moderate rock crawling and the TTORA guys thought I had a traditional locker and were suprised when I told them I did not. Non TRD tacomas were slipping like mad in areas I walked through. Just saying not to write off your 4Runner so quickly.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't think anyone will flat-out write off the abilities of a stock 3rd Gen. The problem arises when the driver wishes to have complete control over wheel spin.

It's been discussed ad nauseum in my original thread and elsewhere - that TRAC is fine for everyday driving. But the moment you find yourself on wet grass, or in slippery mud, you may as well shut the truck off and walk. There still are times when an all-out pedal-to-the-metal approach is the only thing between getting home, and walking. Just because technology has allowed engineers to stuff these trucks full of electronic gadgetry, does not mean conditions out there in the real world have changed!

I love the selectability that this simple mod has given me. In reality, all systems are 'armed' and operative 99.93% of the time. But I know that I can shut that stuff down with the flick of a switch. Enough said. The subject has been canned to within an inch of its life.

Andreas (he of AndyMod® fame)

Last edited by aowRS; 11-17-2005 at 06:59 PM.