Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vehicle power tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle power tools

Hi
I've got a 12v rechargeable cordless drill (which is actually pretty useless as the battery is on it's way out). Could I connect it with a couple of cables and crocodile clips to run off the 12v car accessories battery? How woud I do this?
I ask this as otherwise I'll chuck the thing away!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Vehicle power tools

Originally posted by Bundubasher
Hi
I've got a 12v rechargeable cordless drill (which is actually pretty useless as the battery is on it's way out). Could I connect it with a couple of cables and crocodile clips to run off the 12v car accessories battery? How woud I do this?
I ask this as otherwise I'll chuck the thing away!
check the amps that the drill battery supplies to the drill and make sure you can get that with the car battery. I don't see why you wouldn't, but still. other than that, what kind of rech. drill is it? couldn't you just buy a new rech. battery for it? My 12v Dewalt came with two batteries and they sell replacements at lowes and homo-depot.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:33 AM

Hi
Thanks for the above - mine's no Dewalt - just an cheap black & decker and a new battery costs as much as an complete new unit!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bundubasher
Hi
Thanks for the above - mine's no Dewalt - just an cheap black & decker and a new battery costs as much as an complete new unit!
haha, I understand completely. my dewalt drilldriver is about 8 years old and the only reason I have it is because my then girlfriend/now wife got it for me for my 26th birthday. then I got a dewalt orbital sander for christmas last year. the rest are black and deckers, why? because they get the job done and are pretty tough, they just aren't yellow. hehe. I actually got some dewalt jigsaw blades for my black and decker jigsaw. haha, halfway through a piece of steel I realized that the dewalt blades have a lip at the top that causes the bladed to kick out at the bottom of the stroke. I mangled a couple blades but hack through with the job anyway, then went and picked up the black and decker blades. black and decker tools are good in my opinion. oh yea, balck & decker and DeWalt are owned by the same company. so I guess we can say we do have dewalt tools. haha.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't see why you couldn't run the drill off of a car battery. Just make sure your cable is LONG (just in case). B&D tools are pretty much disposable tools. Once the warranty runs out, B&D stops supporting that model; parts get hard to find, customer service is non-existant, etc. I've got several B&D power tools and have been impressed by how well they've held up, but know that once they die, there's no bringing them back. FYI, not only are B&D & Dewalt under the same umbrella, Craftsman power tools are in there too.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 AM

I have a 9V Makida (sp) and It's battery went a few years ago. I put a plug on it and have used it, and it works fine. I'd guess I've drilled 50 holes with it, I sure I'll fry it oneday, but hey, I was going to toss it anyway. Since my air drill went Ka-put, I threw the the 9v drill in my truck and now use it as a "field repair drill" since it's so small.