Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TO v. Pilot bearing v. Synchros

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TO v. Pilot bearing v. Synchros

Here's the thread that i've been dealing with for the last couple of days.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=24846

i'm a little confused as to the symptoms that add up to the diagnosis. mind you, i hope to fix the probs i'm having when i pull the tranny and i'm gonna replace the clutch, pressure plate, TO and pilot bearing.
the question. how does one tell the differnece between the three (TO, pilot bearing, and bad synchros) when diagnosing probs?

here's what i think i've learned.
squealing starts when the clutch is disengaged = TO
squealing and grinding starts when the clutch is engaged = Pilot bearing.
synchros,,, hmm wont go into gear unless rolling?

am i right? am i way off base?

thanx all
brad
Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 PM

On the first, pretty much right. From my experience, the throwout bearing will usually make noise when the pedal is depressed if it is going bad, and stop making noise when the pedal is released. In most cases, the noise is anywhere from a growl to a squeal, depending on how far gone it is.

One the second, if, when you refer to the pilot bearing, are talking about the bearing/bushing in the end of the crankshaft that the tip of the transmission input shaft fits into, I would dissagree. When the clutch is engaged (pedal released), the input shaft and crankshaft are turning as one. There is no movement of the pilot bearing, and it shouldn't be making noise. The only time a pilot bearing could normally make any noise would be when the clutch is dissengaged (pedal depressed), and the crankshaft is turning but the input shaft is not. The more likely cause of noise/grinding when the clutch is being engaged (pedal released) would be the support bearings in the trans case for the counter shaft or maybe the reverse idler shaft. But this would also depend on whether or not you were in a gear or neutral.

On the third, yes that could be the syncros, but I would ask want to clarify something. When you say it "won't go into gear unless rolling", do you mean it makes a grinding noise when trying to put into gear if the truck is sitting still, or it just won't go into gear unless the truck rolls a bit?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 AM

thanx for the reply man!
in reference to the synchros. i mean it wont go into gear unless rolling and even then sometimes had trouble when rolling. there was no grinding whatsoever, and i know this might lead more to the shifter seat and bearing.
just trying to clarify all that i'm reading here.

thanx ya'll
brad