Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Used 94 4Runner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Used 94 4Runner Questions

Theres a 94 4runner for sale where i live. It is a 5spd standard but the transmission is gone. I was wondering if a 5spd out of a 87 4 cylinder would fit in this 4 cylinder, or if it would possibly fit in a 6cyl? Also the owner just recently put a timing chain in it so i am wondering if that is why he is selling it, i dont know if it broke and did some damage. Is there any way for me to see if any damage was done to the motor if the timing chain did break.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4 cyl transmission and transfer case are the same as the 87 if I remember correctly. Start the engine up and and it should have a nice steady beat with no outstanding noises. I used to have a 93 pickup with a 22re with 125,000. Great, smooth engine. I was looking for one for a buddy and was amazed how bad most of them sounded with similar mileage.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 AM

My brother has an 89.5 toyota pickup 4wd 22re. Sometimes when the engine is idling it has the real rhytmic fluctuation between about 1300 and 2200 rpms. His power steering pump is going or completely gone im not sure now, and he just put in a generic o2 sensor because he needed it badly and he couldnt get a toyota one because it kept getting back ordered. Could either of these cause this problem or is it something else.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Good. You probably know what a 22re should sound like. One I looked at was so noisy I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a diesel. A V6 tranny and transfer case will not fit your 22re. As far as the timing chain, you might check the front of the engine for a little sealant squising out from the TC cover. That would indicate that someone had been in there anyway. I can't imagine your brother not being able to get a O2 sensor for the most common engine Toy made.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:28 AM

thnks for your help, my brother could order a o2 sensor but where we live in Newfoundland Canada, good parts and dealers are few and far between. He had it ordered but they kept delaying the shipping date and you all know how a 4 cylinder runs with a really bad 02 sensor
Old 01-28-2005, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by squishy321
Theres a 94 4runner for sale where i live. It is a 5spd standard but the transmission is gone. I was wondering if a 5spd out of a 87 4 cylinder would fit in this 4 cylinder, or if it would possibly fit in a 6cyl? Also the owner just recently put a timing chain in it so i am wondering if that is why he is selling it, i dont know if it broke and did some damage. Is there any way for me to see if any damage was done to the motor if the timing chain did break.
If the timing chain actually broke (unlikely I think) you would know really easily. The 22re is an interference engine. If the chain broke the valves and pistons would have introduced themselves to each other by punching the other in the face.
More likely, the timing chain had worn through the plastic guides and was making noise. If he let it go long enough and the guides broke, little pieces of the guides could be floating around in the engine depending on the quality of work done by the person that replaced the timing chain.
If the chain had worn through the guides and was run long enough in that condition, it could have added some serious wear to the timing cover to the point of wearing clear through it. Makes for an interesting mix of oil and antifreeze then I believe.
As for the tranny, I don't think so. The tranny in the '94 should be a g58 with a chain drive case behind it. The '87, depending on what engine setup it was hooked up to (EFI or carb) or whether it came from a truck or 4Runner could be a g54, w56, or r151 (turbo only) and would be hooked up to a gear drive transfercase. Searching this site and places like Marlincrawler.com will give you better info, but I believe if you switch to the w56 and gear drive there is some issue with the transfercase. I think you have to make sure about what type shifter transfercase you get (gear drive with top shift or forward shift) since the shifter location differs. I'd ask somebody that really knows though. I'm just guessing
aghh! Ever try typing anything with an 18 month old that won't leave you alone!!!!!
Trying to end this before I lose my cool with Ben....
Me personally, unless you are into fixing trucks and this truck is very cheap to buy, I'd walk away. Sounds like a pile of problems waiting to happen.

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 01-28-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 AM

I just looked at marlin crawler and it gave these two listings:
Year Model Application
1985-1991 EFI W56 5sp 4cyl 22R
1992-1995 EFI W56 5sp 4cyl 22R
Whats the difference between these two tranny's anyone know? they both they both have the same model name and same motor so why would they be different?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Also from what i can remember the sticks are the same on both trannys
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 AM

I just looked at marlin crawler and it gave these two listings:
Year Model Application
1985-1991 EFI W56 5sp 4cyl 22R
1992-1995 EFI W56 5sp 4cyl 22R
Whats the difference between these two tranny's anyone know? they both they both have the same model name and same motor so why would they be different?
If you scroll down farther on that page you will see that there are actually 4 different releases of the w56 including two distinct different type of shifter arrangements for the transfercase. You can click on the pics to get more info on the differences and year of release. Unless there are some durability issues (I really don't know), the w56d looks nice with the extra setup for the reverse gears. I know I've always hated the way a Toy tranny can be when it comes to putting it in reverse.
I think the real issue to look into is whether or not the w56 will swap onto a chaindrive transfercase. I don't think they do. So, you will either need to replace with another g58 or find a stronger w56 w/gear drive transfercase and swap it all out.
Check out places like Pirate4x4.com in the classifieds under "tires, axles, gears". There are always trannies available over there.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:15 AM

i was just lookin at the marlin crawler site and it says that up till 95 toyota used geardriven t cases dunno if that was all of them or not
Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
If you scroll down farther on that page you will see that there are actually 4 different releases of the w56 including two distinct different type of shifter arrangements for the transfercase. You can click on the pics to get more info on the differences and year of release. Unless there are some durability issues (I really don't know), the w56d looks nice with the extra setup for the reverse gears. I know I've always hated the way a Toy tranny can be when it comes to putting it in reverse.
I think the real issue to look into is whether or not the w56 will swap onto a chaindrive transfercase. I don't think they do. So, you will either need to replace with another g58 or find a stronger w56 w/gear drive transfercase and swap it all out.
Check out places like Pirate4x4.com in the classifieds under "tires, axles, gears". There are always trannies available over there.
blaccch your right reverse is a PITA with my yota atleast..the slushbox will never go right into reverse..always gotta put in first than neutral, roll foreward, than it will go in..PITA!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:44 PM

i was just lookin at the marlin crawler site and it says that up till 95 toyota used geardriven t cases dunno if that was all of them or not
Nope. Although the geardrive case was still available until '95, it was only used in trucks. They stopped using the gear drive case in 4Runners sometime in the '93 model year and even then, the 1990-1993 4Runners only came with gear drive if they had factory locking hubs. In which case, they came with locking hubs, w56 and gear drive transfercase.
Narrow that down further by the fact that they were only in 4cyl setups and the numbers get very small. I searched for months for a '90-93 4Runner with that combo and finally gave up. In all, I still have only come across 2-3 after looking around the net off and on for a year now as a curiosity.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 AM

Ok i should of clarified this earlier, but im not entirely sure what year this 4runner is, ive heard 93 or 94. So if it is a 93 with geardrive t-case then the older tranny should fit?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Ok i should of clarified this earlier, but im not entirely sure what year this 4runner is, ive heard 93 or 94. So if it is a 93 with geardrive t-case then the older tranny should fit?
Check the VIN plate on the jamb of the driver side door. It will give the production year as well as ID'ing the type transmission.
IF it is, it would be a w56d from what I can find. This mates to a forward shifting transfercase. The best bet is to ID both trannies first. The transmission pages on Marlin's site give good pics and info on them.
Here is a site with a pic of the VIN plate:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Note just below the red circle in the first pic "W56". That is the tranny ID.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Ok i made some phone calls and saw some ppl today. The 4runner is a 93 with a w56d. I wasn't down looking at the 4runner so i dont know if its a chain or gear driven transfercase. However I went to a guy down the road and he said he would trade his w56b and transfer case for my w56b and some parts. Now i was measuring the w56b and it is 8 inches across from stick to stick which im guessing is bigger then the forward shifting w56d. Also all the w56 tranny's are the same length and i havent been able to check or find out but i would guess that the t-cases are the same length too. Besides for the stick dimensions do you think the B would physically bolt up to the 22re and fit in place?

Last edited by squishy321; 01-29-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Ok i made some phone calls and saw some ppl today. The 4runner is a 93 with a w56d. I wasn't down looking at the 4runner so i dont know if its a chain or gear driven transfercase. However I went to a guy down the road and he said he would trade his w56b and transfer case for my w56b and some parts. Now i was measuring the w56b and it is 8 inches across from stick to stick which im guessing is bigger then the forward shifting w56d. Also all the w56 tranny's are the same length and i havent been able to check or find out but i would guess that the t-cases are the same length too. Besides for the stick dimensions do you think the B would physically bolt up to the 22re and fit in place?
The w56d only came hooked to a gear drive and has the forward shift transfercase. The w56b you are looking at trading for would also only be hooked to a gear drive, but it hooked up to a top shift transfercase. If you can swap out both the tranny and transfercase in one unit I think the only issue is the location of the shifter for the transfercase. I believe the shifter for the w56b style transfercase is a few inches farther back so you may wind up having to hack out some of the console. Others can tell you better, but I don't think the w56b will hook up to your old transfercase.
How is the tranny on the '93 "gone"? Lots of whining, gears it won't go into? There is always the chance it is just a bad shifter seat and socket, about $15 worth of parts and fairly common part to fail. To kill a w56 usually takes some effort. Was it used to pull trailers or something?
Either way, it makes that truck more desireable. Better than the crappy g58, chaindrive, ADD setup most had by far.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:48 PM

From what the guy has told me, he doesn't know a lot about trucks is that the reverse gear doesnt work, im guessin tooth chippage and possible fragments floating around in there. He said that you would either need to get a new one or get it rebuilt.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:20 AM

So what your saying is that the B will physically bolt up and fit into the 4runner, minus the shifters, and it should actually get power from the motor. I have a hayes manual on this truck but it is really broad. But it displays pics of all the transmission, and all the w 40, 42, 56 etc are all using the same pic so they cant be really any different
Old 01-31-2005, 08:36 AM

Ok i need to know a little more info now to know all my options. How long is the g58 trany and how long is the g58 + transfer case does anybody know. also will a w56D bolt up to where g58 is if you ignore the t-case? i know this is getting repeatitive but im lookin at a couple of 4runners now.