Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Upgraded ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded ignition?

My searches don't seem to be returning the info I'm looking for.
Does anyone know of a basic ( not 'High-zoot full race whiz-bang' ) electronic ignition set up (distributor, coil, etc) for the venerable 20/22r?
(I am assuming of course that they are interchangeable)

I'm really not a fan of points style distributors. I can't even find out for certain if Toyota ever put an electronic distributor on any of the later carbed 22r's.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LC enginering makes an electronic distro, that plus an MSD ingnition and coil would do you good.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1stgenboy
LC enginering makes an electronic distro, that plus an MSD ingnition and coil would do you good.
yeah... but read the part about:

( not 'High-zoot full race whiz-bang' )
I don't feel like paying over $200 for an ED on a beater truck.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what year is your truck dude? i've never seen a points distributor on a toyota engine, but i think before '76 or '77 they had points. i know from the late 70s onward they ALL were electronic(i think magnetic pickup). thank god, just eliminates another thing that can go wrong. i did the points and condenser on my buddy's 79 chevy luv and that was kind of tedious, but i do like the way that the hoods open forward on them...

so i take it you have points? get a distributor for something like a '79 20R engine, as it had 1 vacuum advance and was most definitely electronic. '80 20Rs and all carbed 22R engines had a vacuum advance and a vacuum retard on there. you can use them, just don't worry about the retard port...the single port dizzys look better though otherwise, pop it in and rig up the 2 wires.

MSD makes an entry level ignition, called the "blaster" box. i think they're under $100, but i'm not sure. just get something like that a decent coil(also by the name blaster) and you should be good to go.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
what year is your truck dude? i've never seen a points distributor on a toyota engine, but i think before '76 or '77 they had points. i know from the late 70s onward they ALL were electronic(i think magnetic pickup). thank god, just eliminates another thing that can go wrong. i did the points and condenser on my buddy's 79 chevy luv and that was kind of tedious, but i do like the way that the hoods open forward on them...

so i take it you have points? get a distributor for something like a '79 20R engine, as it had 1 vacuum advance and was most definitely electronic. '80 20Rs and all carbed 22R engines had a vacuum advance and a vacuum retard on there. you can use them, just don't worry about the retard port...the single port dizzys look better though otherwise, pop it in and rig up the 2 wires.

MSD makes an entry level ignition, called the "blaster" box. i think they're under $100, but i'm not sure. just get something like that a decent coil(also by the name blaster) and you should be good to go.
Yup.. '77 2wd. And it's got POINTS!

So you're saying any, say, 80+ 4-banger should have an ED set-up I can use? Cool.. that makes it easier.

The MSD box's give a more powerfull/longer duration spark, but still rely on your current distributor to do the mechanics.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 PM

wierd, i could've sworn '76 was the last year for points...guess you learn something new every day! does your distributor have the little micro timing adjuster?

i know that any '79 and probably 78 distributor is going to be electronic. no points to worry about, no problems combine that with an MSD or heck, even a factory toyota ignitor and coil and you have a winning combo.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

phs I've got a jacobs pro street on I got on ebay for just a little over a $100 and have been very pleased with it.

EDIT: I also sold a ice box from jacobs igniton to "huskyfan" you could ask him what he thinks of that one.

Last edited by dwh91102; 04-01-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dwh91102
phs I've got a jacobs pro street on I got on ebay for just a little over a $100 and have been very pleased with it.

EDIT: I also sold a ice box from jacobs igniton to "huskyfan" you could ask him what he thinks of that one.
Again.. That's an 'add-on' booster for the coil that relys upon the your CURRENT DISTRIBUTOR to handle the distribution of spark to the proper plug at the proper time... I'm looking to replace the physical gear/shaft/cap-n-rotor distributor itself with an electronic version.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:07 PM

so let me get this straight...all you want to do is replace your distributor? i don't think anyone makes a kit to replace the points in a 20R distributor, best bet is just to swap one out of a later truck. the jacobs/msd/mallory isn't a "booster" but replaces the entire ignitor. you'll need either something like that, or a factory toyota ignitor from a later car/truck to make an electronic distributor work
Old 04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

The only way to do that is what kyle is saying, but not sure how your going to hook up an ecu to just run the distributor? good question
Old 04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Banned

so basically you want a stand alone ignition system like an MSD but dont want to pay for it?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
so basically you want a stand alone ignition system like an MSD but dont want to pay for it?
no he wants just a electronic dist. but not sure how you can run one without the ecu, but i'm sure they make something. I'll check because I know downey makes a electronic for the fj40.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

the we have elsectronic distributors... it users a magneto pickup..... a magneto is basically an electromagnetic pulse
Old 04-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.performancedistributors.com/toyota4dui.htm here ya go kinda pricey, only thing I could find
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM

<sigh>

I realize that swapping JUST the distributor won't work. I know there's other parts that I'll need to change to convert from a points type dist. to an electronic dist.

Lemme put it this way:

I'm an old school Mopar man. I can tear down and reassemble a B/RB engine in less than a day (assuming I have all parts on hand). Ive owned a 318 Charger, a 383 Road Runner, a slant-6 Dart, and currently own a 78 Trailduster, and a 75 FACTORY 360HP Duster.... all of which had an electronic distributor. Up untill the early 70's Mopar used points type distributors. Starting 72 (I think) they began using Electronic distributors. You can still purchase a conversion 'kit' to change from points to electronic through Mopar Performance. These 'kits' include everything you need: Distributor, ECU, wiring, and even the ballast resistor...all in one easy package. Hell they even give you the cap-n-rotor to boot!

What I'm looking for is something similar THAT INCLUDES THE DISTRIBUTOR, so I'm not just running a hotter spark though 'Old-tech' points.

If I can yard the parts off a junkyard motor.. mores the better, but adding MSD to my current ignition system (WHICH CURRENTLY HAS A POINTS TYPE DISTRIBUTOR) doesn't give me 'electroninc ignition'. Kyle tells me that the 79+ 20/22r's used an electronic Dist. Thats what I needed to know. If I can find a doner car with all the parts I'll be set.

***edit***

BTW Kyle I oughtta reach through the net and slap you for not knowing the year of my truck. Your tha' durn fool that's planted the crazy 'SAS-4WD-conversion for the Pre-gen Hi-Lux' bug in my brain! DAGNABBIT!

<ponders> HMmm.. there's a neighbor two doors down with a first-gen thats been sitting for about three years.... Hhmmm.....

Last edited by Phssthpok; 04-01-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

whoa! there is some testimonial on that site and its reducing the 0-60 time to low 17s.... wow, thats soooo slow..... a stock sport explorer with a v6 and a good driver can do a 16 second 1/4 mile!

is the 22r really that slow?!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:03 PM

OK.. I just remembered that I got a spare Dizzy with the doner engine I bought off a member here a few weeks back. I opened it up ( took off the cap ) and discovered that it is indeed an electronic Dist. (unfortunately it has the dual port vacuum advance set up but oh well.. it's free) Now all I need are the coil, and ignitor.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Banned

the igniter is going to kill you! a new igniter costs $300 retail! i got one for $240 locally but got a discount..... its basically the life blood of the vehicle, it doenst have an ecu, so this piece is it..... the coil itself is like $80-90 i beleive....
Old 10-15-2005, 07:43 PM

Dredged from the deep, this thread returns with new information!

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
so let me get this straight...all you want to do is replace your distributor? i don't think anyone makes a kit to replace the points in a 20R distributor, best bet is just to swap one out of a later truck. the jacobs/msd/mallory isn't a "booster" but replaces the entire ignitor. you'll need either something like that, or a factory toyota ignitor from a later car/truck to make an electronic distributor work
Looky what I found!!:

Distributor Electronic Conversion Kit (aftermarket) for all Toyota 4 cylinder Single Point type motors 1971-1977 NEVER CHANGE POINTS AGAIN! Come with a magnetic pick up you screw inside the distributor. This kit eliminates the unreliable points that ware and constantly change the ignition timing. With this kit you just set it and forget it!!!!
Too bad it's over $100+shipping.

But, i also found another critical piece of info I was uncertain on:

Multiple Spark Discharge Ignitions System. Eliminates the ignitor unit that is located on top of the ignition coil and give a better more powerful spark at any rpm.

AAAaannd since I found out that I have no functioning advance mechanism on my current points dizzy (and I have an electronic dizzy on the shelf) It looks like the decision has been made for me.....MSD/Electronic ignition dizzy here I come!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:57 AM

that's what i meant about going to MSD it replaces the factory toyota box, much easier on the wallet than going to the dealer.

there's also a company that makes a HEI conversion distributor but it's like $400

Quick Reply: Upgraded ignition?