Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Under my hood is rediculous.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under my hood is rediculous.

There is a mess of wires around the battery. I have connectors for amps and screens, etc, etc right now going right onto the terminal with seperate inline fuses.

Now what I'm wondering is if there are any boxes that takes power from the battery and then spits it up, kinda like a power distribution block but under the hood, being abe to hold fuses (duh), something like the fuse box that is already under there.

It'l really help me out with the wires and such, as I have plans of putting in more litte electrical things and I don't want to have 10-20 wires hanging off of my battery so tight you can't even bolt down the terminal.

Sorry if I missed somewheres with and L. I had to copy and paste since my L key doesn't work uness I hit it good and hard.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tech Section
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage.htm

A write-up I did long long ago...
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech..._box/corey.htm

This one is is not used for your purpose, but could be easily.
In fact I have one waiting to put in, which will be a spring project for the same purpose you are doing, to clean up wires tapped directly to the battery.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

There are dozens of options for fuse blocks and distribution blocks.

Your local auto parts store probably has some to start with although they may be pretty limited in the number of circuits and the ones I've seen don't strike me as being that good.

Here are a few other places that have different types and styles just as examples of the types available:

Wrangler NW Power Products
Blue Sea Systems (marine supplier available from numerous marine stores online and otherwise)
Painless Wiring

I'm not recommending any of these as the solution for you (although I am partial to the marine stuff like Blue Sea). The ones I mentioned are off the top of my head just to give you some idea of what is out there. A lot of the automotive stereo web sites have distribution blocks as well. I think there are a couple of writeups in the tech section with fuse blocks in them. Beyond that, just start searching the web. Figure out how many fused circuits you need and go from there.

One thing you need to do regardless of what you end up with is have a fuse or circuit breaker close to the battery in the line feeding the distribution block. I like to use corrugated sleeving over the wiring as well to prevent abrasion and shorts. Don't skimp on the wire size either.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

I was going to go with the simple technique of a fuse to the panel. I would determine the fuse size by the amount of power being drawn. Thanks for your help guys.